Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 06:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

As good as the car may be, I would say most ppl will not even consider it bec its a Kia.
I also feel its getting such positive reviews because the expectations are so low going in because it is a Kia.

The fact that its a hatchback is also a negative and there are reports of poor crash ratings.

I think the design is attractive but is a combination of Audi A7, Previous gen Jaguar XF, anf others. The interior also is a mixed bag design wise.

I built one online and the AWD with the V6 is $50k, which is way more than i expected.
Old 01-14-18, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
As good as the car may be, I would say most ppl will not even consider it bec its a Kia.
I also feel its getting such positive reviews because the expectations are so low going in because it is a Kia
This is exactly the case. Very few people are going to give up the luxury badge for a KIA. Past history also suggests the brand will not be able to succeed at a higher price point. The K900 and the Boreggo both have simply not succeed. Then you have to add in the fact that the overall car market is contracting and not expanding. So you need to take from somewhere as there is no surplus buyers looking for new cars. Finally, it must be mentioned that KIA, Hyundai and Genesis are down about 13% in sales for the year 2017, so if they can’t sell their other cars,, it is difficult to justify a new car that does not align with what a brand is supposed to be As for the media, they want something to write about. It’s exciting for the media to have something like this as it gets attention. It gets people talking. The media should be asking the question of whether the brand can support the price points. You need to really love KIA to want to buy this. Kinda like how you need to really like Toyoya to want an Avalon or a Land Cruiser.I think a loaded Accord or a loaded Camry V6 are more desirable than an entry level or mid level Stinger.
Old 01-14-18, 08:01 AM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is exactly the case. Very few people are going to give up the luxury badge for a KIA. Past history also suggests the brand will not be able to succeed at a higher price point. The K900 and the Boreggo both have simply not succeed. Then you have to add in the fact that the overall car market is contracting and not expanding. So you need to take from somewhere as there is no surplus buyers looking for new cars. Finally, it must be mentioned that KIA, Hyundai and Genesis are down about 13% in sales for the year 2017, so if they can’t sell their other cars,, it is difficult to justify a new car that does not align with what a brand is supposed to be As for the media, they want something to write about. It’s exciting for the media to have something like this as it gets attention. It gets people talking. The media should be asking the question of whether the brand can support the price points. You need to really love KIA to want to buy this. Kinda like how you need to really like Toyoya to want an Avalon or a Land Cruiser.I think a loaded Accord or a loaded Camry V6 are more desirable than an entry level or mid level Stinger.
Well said!
I think what Kia (and Hyundai, for that matter) are fighting is the same fight Lexus fought for many years against BMW and Mercedes - even though they build great cars with great quality, people were buying BMW's and Merc's because they were status symbols, and had some sort of mystique. Kia may get there eventually, but they need to study how Lexus managed it..... and I have no clue how they managed it either!
Old 01-14-18, 08:10 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

About G90, " You get what you pay for" does not apply to G90? Was it driven on Auto Bahn for real life testing?
Old 01-14-18, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I think the G90 is a car that genuinely represents a value. Honestly, the only reason to buy an LS or a 7 Series etc over one is the badge. Thats coming from somebody who did just that LOL
Old 01-14-18, 08:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
. Kia may get there eventually, but they need to study how Lexus managed it..... and I have no clue how they managed it either!
I think the issue has to do with the Hyundai brand if people are not willling to pay Toyota or Honda or even American prices for Hyundai, they why pay premium prices for KIA or Genesis. People seem to overlook that the Toyota brand is ranked in the top 10 most valuable brands in the world alongside Apple, Microsoft, Coca Cola etc etc. So with Lexus, people already know and still know how valuable of a brand Toyota is. Ack in the 80s, cars like the Celtics, Supra, truck, 4Runner, LC, Cressida were all coming from a brand people knew was pretty good. So when Lexus debuted, there was no doubt it was reliable and coming from a brand such as Toyota. Can’t say the same for Hyundai.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-14-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 08:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think the G90 is a car that genuinely represents a value. Honestly, the only reason to buy an LS or a 7 Series etc over one is the badge. Thats coming from somebody who did just that LOL
Perhaps. But LS has a hybrid, had a v12 alternative, 7 series has a V12, same with S and A8. Plus, all of the Germans don’t have a Hyundai brand weighing them down. It is all about perception. But there are things that reinforce the perceptions we make about them.
Old 01-14-18, 08:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Perhaps. But LS has a hybrid, had a v12 alternative, 7 series has a V12, same with S and A8. Plus, all of the Germans don’t have a Hyundai brand weighing them down. It is all about perception. But there are things that reinforce the perceptions we make about them.
Is KIA even trying to be a Lexus though? I see Stinger as a halo vehicle for the brand, that will lift the lineup overall... not really a luxury brand competition... unlike Genesis which is trying to compete with luxury brands.
Old 01-14-18, 08:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Is KIA even trying to be a Lexus though? I see Stinger as a halo vehicle for the brand, that will lift the lineup overall... not really a luxury brand competition... unlike Genesis which is trying to compete with luxury brands.
I dunno. It seems like everyone is trying to tell us that the Stinger competes with Audi, BMW, and MB. So I assume Lexus as well.
Old 01-14-18, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This is exactly the case. Very few people are going to give up the luxury badge for a KIA.
Somehow, I get the impression that corradoMR2, when he traded his Lexus RC for a Stinger GT, is not going to be alone.
Old 01-14-18, 12:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

LS never had a V12. The Toyota Century does.
Old 01-14-18, 12:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
LS never had a V12. The Toyota Century does.
V12 alternative. The 600h was supposed to be a V12 alternative
Old 01-14-18, 12:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

V12 alternative. The 600h was supposed to be a V12 alternative
And it was for a brief few years say 2007-2009. For example the VW Phaeton W12 mustered 444hp and 413lbft around the same time. LS600hL was rated at 439 total system power and 380lbft. As we know though, Lexus neglected this powertrain and let it soldier on without any updates, meanwhile the competition was either reworking their V12/W12's to 500-600hp or downsizing to forced induction V8's.
Old 01-14-18, 12:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Remember for years the LS only had one engine, and the new LS no longer has a "V12 alternative". Genesis will get there.

You can make the argument, at least the G90 has a V8 option which the LS no longer has...
Old 01-14-18, 01:33 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Somehow, I get the impression that corradoMR2, when he traded his Lexus RC for a Stinger GT, is not going to be alone.
Lets hope so, for Kia's sake. My guess is that they will not be very happy to have two years in a row of declining sales.

Quick Reply: Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi