Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 09:39 AM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love your 100 day review! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-08-18, 06:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks. It's my first Kia and never in a million years did I think to own one.
I felt the same prior to seeing these. And after seeing one (in red) out in the wild, I am convinced the Stinger deserves a test drive.

Thanks for the great write up. As an IS 300 owner myself, I think I could live with a few interior niggles in order to get more space and a quieter highway ride - just hope the handling is up to par. I really do like the way the IS takes turns - would I have any worries in that department with the Stinger?
Old 04-09-18, 04:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacman9270
Love your 100 day review! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. More updates in the future for sure.

Originally Posted by arentz07
I felt the same prior to seeing these. And after seeing one (in red) out in the wild, I am convinced the Stinger deserves a test drive.

Thanks for the great write up. As an IS 300 owner myself, I think I could live with a few interior niggles in order to get more space and a quieter highway ride - just hope the handling is up to par. I really do like the way the IS takes turns - would I have any worries in that department with the Stinger?
Thanks. I had two 3IS cars, both AWD so I can't speak for the lighter RWD-only IS which is what you have? I can say that in hard cornering, you feel the IS AWD plow a bit (understeer) and Stinger AWD noticeably less - and especially under power exiting a corner, the TVD helps rotate the rear bordering on oversteer but never feeling the tail will go out. Its not much to go on, but the Stinger feels "lighter on its toes" than the IS despite the heavier weight, much like the RC F feels despite the 4000 lb mass.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-09-18 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-09-18, 06:31 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Thanks. More updates in the future for sure.

Thanks. I had two 3IS cars, both AWD so I can't speak for the lighter RWD-only IS which is what you have? I can say that in hard cornering, you feel the IS AWD plow a bit (understeer) and Stinger AWD noticeably less - and especially under power exiting a corner, the TVD helps rotate the rear bordering on oversteer but never feeling the tail will go out. Its not much to go on, but the Stinger feels "lighter on its toes" than the IS despite the heavier weight, much like the RC F feels despite the 4000 lb mass.
Interesting. But no, like the one you had, mine is an AWD F Sport. I guess the "lighter on its feet" feeling is probably due to suspension tuning? I let a friend test-drive the IS, and he said there was more body roll than expected. I suspect that is what makes it feel "heavy", then again, the suspension on the IS is odd (soft lower control arm bushings, etc.).

Also, sounds like the Stinger has a nice AWD system, or maybe that's mostly the differential.
Old 04-09-18, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I certainly would not consider one tiny (and almost invisible) stray thread a quality-glitch...but I'll respect your opinion on that. I've seen worse problems (in some cases, lots worse) on upmarket German vehicles running almost 100K....twice your Stinger's price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-18 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 07:15 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Since it's only a bump of 10% in HP, it's a waste to give up the smooth as butter ES. Plus the resale value would not be there. I don't understand why you'd respond to something you see as a waste of time.
Wait..I thought you said you drove the 365HP Stinger.
Old 04-09-18, 07:18 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I certainly would not consider one tiny (and almost invisible) stray thread a quality-glitch...but I'll respect your opinion on that. I've seen worse problems (in some cases, LOTS worse) on upmarket German vehicles running almost 100K....twice your Stinger's price.
Agree! Nothing a set of clippers wouldn't easily fix.
Old 04-09-18, 07:30 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by XBROKER
As far as I know, everyone doesn't read this forum... I was comparing what I have to what would potentially replace it. Since it's only a bump of 10% in HP, it's a waste to give up the smooth as butter ES. Plus the resale value would not be there. I don't understand why you'd respond to something you see as a waste of time.
As someone who would consider owning a Stinger, who has also driven an ES as a loaner on 3 separate occasions, I think the two cars are nothing alike and would not be cross-shopped unless the shopper had no idea what they actually wanted. It doesn't need any more explanation.

That being said, I would entertain the notion that such a buyer exists, where all they know is a price range and that they want a mid-size sedan. However, driving them back to back would be night-and-day.
Old 04-09-18, 08:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Wait..I thought you said you drove the 365HP Stinger.
Whoa! Comparing an apple to an orange? Some likes orange, I drive what I like I don't care anything else. Most important thing is driving what I like.
Old 04-09-18, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

ok guys come on...

XBROKER has an ES and drove a Stinger, and compared them. it's no crime even though the cars are NOTHING alike.

moving along...
Old 05-20-18, 04:07 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

How are the up and downshifts compared to the RCF?
Old 05-24-18, 06:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Got to test drive a Stinger 3.3GT today. Here's my quick take on it coming from a Q50 RS400 owner:

- Stinger ( GT1 RWD): in person, it looks much more sleek with the hatchback Panamera styling. Inside was ok, but had plenty of room in the rear, albeit the trunk is small. Mash the pedal, and gobs of torque throws you back bit. Dare I say that it felt faster than my RS400 when it was stock. However, the real surprise is in the handling, where it is tight yet with a compliant ride. Feels so much better than a stock RS400 and probably as good if not better than my lowered Q w/ FSTB, lightweight wheels, summer tires, and 2 piece front rotors. In summary
, was very impressed with the overall package and is a good value at $38k MSRP (no discounts). If only Genesis made something like this, as brand *****s like me just are too bothered by the KIA nameplate. However, I would recommend it to friends.
Old 05-25-18, 06:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ST430
Got to test drive a Stinger 3.3GT today. Here's my quick take on it coming from a Q50 RS400 owner:

- Stinger ( GT1 RWD): in person, it looks much more sleek with the hatchback Panamera styling. Inside was ok, but had plenty of room in the rear, albeit the trunk is small. Mash the pedal, and gobs of torque throws you back bit. Dare I say that it felt faster than my RS400 when it was stock. However, the real surprise is in the handling, where it is tight yet with a compliant ride. Feels so much better than a stock RS400 and probably as good if not better than my lowered Q w/ FSTB, lightweight wheels, summer tires, and 2 piece front rotors. In summary
, was very impressed with the overall package and is a good value at $38k MSRP (no discounts). If only Genesis made something like this, as brand *****s like me just are too bothered by the KIA nameplate. However, I would recommend it to friends.
Nice. Thanks for writing this out.

Well, there is the G70, which is somewhat related to the Stinger. From what I can tell it has a more premium vibe if that's what you mean. Haven't seen one in person yet.

You were saying the ride quality is good - I've heard conflicting reports about this. Some say it's harsh, others say it's awesome. If there was a car it was firmer than, and a car it was softer than, what would those be?
Old 05-25-18, 07:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Nice. Thanks for writing this out.

Well, there is the G70, which is somewhat related to the Stinger. From what I can tell it has a more premium vibe if that's what you mean. Haven't seen one in person yet.

You were saying the ride quality is good - I've heard conflicting reports about this. Some say it's harsh, others say it's awesome. If there was a car it was firmer than, and a car it was softer than, what would those be?
I've also seen conflicting reports on this too. The car seems to handle like a pure GT car vs sports car. The reviews say the chassis rigidity is soft and handles sloppy at the limit so not a great track car which is fine (way too heavy for that anyway). It's a great car for the price but the G70 also looks compelling as it's lighter and smaller.
Old 05-26-18, 11:52 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've also seen conflicting reports on this too. The car seems to handle like a pure GT car vs sports car. The reviews say the chassis rigidity is soft and handles sloppy at the limit so not a great track car which is fine (way too heavy for that anyway). It's a great car for the price but the G70 also looks compelling as it's lighter and smaller.
The ride is very similar to a B9 S4. Very compliant, yet handles very good. Harsh to me would be like my Evo IX RS. And soft would be like my Q50 RS400 stock. And no, it's not in any shape or form a track car. It is a very sporty cheap mini-Panamera.

Quick Reply: Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi