Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 08:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Given that you have put on only 175 miles, I consider your review to be an "initial ownership review", sorta like JDPower's initial quality review!
The problems with "initial" quality reviews are:
1. None of the quality issues have yet surfaced
2. Its based on a new owner..... meaning that the car is fresh, new, and the owner is still in the "I'm in love with it" stage
3. We all have big ego's...... we find it hard to admit that we may have made the wrong choice; its much easier to tame it down and not have to admit it.
I look forward to a review when you have put on 20,000 miles - that would be a much more realistic review because of 1 and 2. Possibly 3 will no longer be an issue then!
Don't worry, its not just your review, I'm skeptical about JDPower's Initial review of anything, for the same reasons.
Enjoy the car.
Whats wrong with somebody posting an initial review when they've recently bought a car? I do exactly that every time I do, and update the thread as the ownership goes on (for instance see my Pacifica thread in here)
Old 01-08-18, 09:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Whats wrong with somebody posting an initial review when they've recently bought a car?
it's easier to be a critic than an author.
Old 01-08-18, 09:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, Corrado!

I'm very intrigued by the Stinger and will follow your updates as you spend more time with it. Such a great looking car you have!
Old 01-08-18, 09:33 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats CorradoMR2 will be interesting to see how you like it and how it holds up with time.
Old 01-08-18, 01:42 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Excellent first impression! I love the fact that you’ve owned other premium/luxury brands yet can still appreciate a product such as the Stinger. The car is stunning! I’d drive one just to spite other badge snobs.
Old 01-08-18, 01:50 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ah, the expected 'no true scotsman' attack. and i'm sure he's not 'worried'.what online review source do you go to for cars with at least 20,000 miles? the only one i know is motorweek's long term update which only covers a handful of cars a year.
I buy based on manufacturers quality ratings, my own requirements in various categories, and the test drive of the car. If I need corroboration of my own assessment then I look for long term reviews of a car (quite often European car magazines provide this) - I don't always find them. I never buy first year offerings of any car, and certainly not based on owner reviews.
Old 01-08-18, 01:53 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Whats wrong with somebody posting an initial review when they've recently bought a car? I do exactly that every time I do, and update the thread as the ownership goes on (for instance see my Pacifica thread in here)
I didn't say there was anything wrong with posting an initial review - its a free world! I said that I'm not a believer of owners initial reviews, for reasons that I stated.
The review itself was well written, and I said so in my post.
Please don't be worked up over what is my own opinion - everyone is free to post what they want, but should be prepared for discussion as well.
Old 01-08-18, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I didn't say there was anything wrong with posting an initial review - its a free world! I said that I'm not a believer of owners initial reviews, for reasons that I stated.

If you have not done so, I'd recommend you take an hour or two out of your day, go to the nearest Kia dealership, and actually take a look at their vehicles yourself. You don't have to get too deeply-mixed up wth salespeople, talk a deal, or even test-drive if you don't have the time. But just look at the way they are built, open and shut the hood, doors, trunk, etc....(especially the Stinger) check out the hardware and materials inside. You will find that there is indeed a reason why today's Kias (and, in some cases, Hyundais as well) are not the Kia's of the 1990s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-08-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what online review source do you go to for cars with at least 20,000 miles? the only one i know is motorweek's long term update which only covers a handful of cars a year.
I'm not sure whether you would consider this "online" or not, since the enthusiast magazines usually do have web-sites....but several of them do the long-term "Four-Season" reviews, where vehicles are loaned to them by the manufacturers, and they keep them for at least a year, with several of the magazine's staff members taking long trips, camping, daily shopping, personal commute-use, etc....running up a lot of miles in that year.
Old 01-09-18, 10:45 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and thanks for creating this thread.
Old 01-09-18, 02:10 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you have not done so, I'd recommend you take an hour or two out of your day, go to the nearest Kia dealership, and actually take a look at their vehicles yourself. You don't have to get too deeply-mixed up wth salespeople, talk a deal, or even test-drive if you don't have the time. But just look at the way they are built, open and shut the hood, doors, trunk, etc....(especially the Stinger) check out the hardware and materials inside. You will find that there is indeed a reason why today's Kias (and, in some cases, Hyundais as well) are not the Kia's of the 1990s.
Have already owned a Kia. It was well built, and of good quality materials. And I'm sure they have even improved since I sold mine..... but my issue with the Korean makes is not about hardware and materials. Its about driveability. Little things like spongy shifters, clutch release points, dead pedal positioning, thai support, body roll, sound reverberations inside the cabin, ergonomics etc. which all add up to a so-so driving experience. Regarding looks, they are still "fishing" for their identity - they are still in the stage of copying other brands.
Old 01-09-18, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Congrats and thanks for creating this thread.

Welcome back. You've been out a while.
Old 01-09-18, 05:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Nice write-up! Keep us updated on the rattle "fix".

I'm still up in the air on my next vehicle. It could be anything from a sports car, to a lux wagon, but I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Koreans.
Lot of copy cat from BMW. Their engine longevity is in question. In Korea they are talking about this. We'll see in 5 years. As a native Korean(born and raised in Seoul) Sorry I am not interested
in Korean manufactured vehicles. Even in Korea in 2017 Hyundai sales went down more than 25% compared previous year. Same thing over here sales figures are static last couple years.
Old 01-09-18, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Have already owned a Kia. It was well built, and of good quality materials. And I'm sure they have even improved since I sold mine..... but my issue with the Korean makes is not about hardware and materials. Its about driveability. Little things like spongy shifters, clutch release points, dead pedal positioning, thai support, body roll, sound reverberations inside the cabin, ergonomics etc. which all add up to a so-so driving experience. Regarding looks, they are still "fishing" for their identity - they are still in the stage of copying other brands.
I think your experience is out of date...
Old 01-09-18, 09:21 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

I think your experience is out of date...
Perhaps. A couple of weeks ago, I test drove the new Sportage (which is the vehicle I owned before) which actually looks cute. Unfortunately, I felt it was pretty much the same as the one I owned. The only one of the points I made that got resolved was the clutch release point. So, yes, a bit better, but 3 years should have made a step change improvement. I guess their car sales will tell, won't it?

Quick Reply: Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi