Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 RS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 11:21 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Infiniti Q50 RS400

My lease is up in July (FINALLY) and looking into another car and something with a cheaper payment. My wife got a Volvo last month, which they already paid off my Lexus lease and I get to keep the car. I am thinking if getting into an Infiniti Q50 RS400 because the payment for it is less than $375 a month with $0 down. It is kind of a no brainer and will let Infiniti make the final payments on the car, which should put me right under $500 a month with negative equity. I do like the Lexus but it is just simply boring with no mods whatsoever and the biggest thing is their lease deals absolutely suck.

Do any of you have any thoughts on the RS400 vs maybe another brand in its class? I know in size Q50 is much smaller but I am not that big of a guy so it's fine.
Old 01-07-18, 11:32 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I think my !8 GS is anything but boring. I'll take Lexus reliability over most any brand. My thoughts on Infiniti would be a no.
Old 01-07-18, 11:37 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. I came from a 2015 Q50S and drove a 2018 RS400 before getting my 2018 GS350 F-Sport. I understand these vehicles are similar in price but would argue that's where similarities end. These are very different vehicles and do not compete in the same class, IMO, with the GS falling in a class above the Q50 (but this isn't an attempt to bring down the Q50 as it already competes in a very competitive & highly regarded segment).

That said, Infiniti's lease prices are very compelling when comparing similarly priced vehicles from other makes. I found the GS to warrant the higher lease payment but again, your mileage/experience may vary. I was looking for less sport and more luxury so it made sense when I was looking for a vehicle. Get whichever one brings you the most excitement and whichever brings a payment you're more comfortable with.

As a past Infiniti Q50 driver, I will say that I feel they don't quite get the credit they deserve as most reviewers tend to focus on the negatives and don't shed light on any of the positives. My Q50S was fully loaded with all the safety tech and the Direct Adaptive Steering system. The value when you really start digging in and looking at the features you get like the 360 cam, adaptive front lighting system, etc. is hard to match. I'd argue that the DAS system was one of the best aspects of the car.

If you're into refinement, the 2018 RS400 will have a slight edge as it has adjustable dampers and the new 3.0 V6 is lightyears smoother and less harsh than the old 3.7. If you're into reliability, my experience with a failing brake system on my Q50S has lead me away from the Infiniti brand but again, I was the exception and not the majority. Whichever route you go, I'd love to see what you end up with! Happy car hunting!
Old 01-07-18, 11:47 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by charley95
I think my !8 GS is anything but boring. I'll take Lexus reliability over most any brand. My thoughts on Infiniti would be a no.
Come back in 3 years when you see other cars on the road. Hopefully Lexus puts a TT from the new LS into a GS over the next 3-4 years. Car is a blast in sports mode but it's just all show with no go. I miss the power from my previous cars. Lexus would be a blast to drive if we should actually mod the car to go faster.

Originally Posted by signdetres
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. I came from a 2015 Q50S and drove a 2018 RS400 before getting my 2018 GS350 F-Sport. I understand these vehicles are similar in price but would argue that's where similarities end. These are very different vehicles and do not compete in the same class, IMO, with the GS falling in a class above the Q50 (but this isn't an attempt to bring down the Q50 as it already competes in a very competitive & highly regarded segment).

That said, Infiniti's lease prices are very compelling when comparing similarly priced vehicles from other makes. I found the GS to warrant the higher lease payment but again, your mileage/experience may vary. I was looking for less sport and more luxury so it made sense when I was looking for a vehicle. Get whichever one brings you the most excitement and whichever brings a payment you're more comfortable with.

As a past Infiniti Q50 driver, I will say that I feel they don't quite get the credit they deserve as most reviewers tend to focus on the negatives and don't shed light on any of the positives. My Q50S was fully loaded with all the safety tech and the Direct Adaptive Steering system. The value when you really start digging in and looking at the features you get like the 360 cam, adaptive front lighting system, etc. is hard to match. I'd argue that the DAS system was one of the best aspects of the car.

If you're into refinement, the 2018 RS400 will have a slight edge as it has adjustable dampers and the new 3.0 V6 is lightyears smoother and less harsh than the old 3.7. If you're into reliability, my experience with a failing brake system on my Q50S has lead me away from the Infiniti brand but again, I was the exception and not the majority. Whichever route you go, I'd love to see what you end up with! Happy car hunting!
Yeah I agree and thank you for the post. It has few better features over my 15' GS but I am sure I will miss the massive screen from my Lexus into the Infiniti. I really don't have my mind made up at the moment but trying to save money for capital for business really helps. I got HOSED on my Lexus lease at $750 a month due to negative equity from my BMW but after a few months I saw something wasn't adding up. Dealer jacked up the Money Factor by 5x then I was originally quoted. Lexus basically said "you should have read everything over before signing", in which I agree so cannot argue it. I just truly miss the power from my previous German cars but cannot afford the German breakdowns at the moment. Only if new GS was a TT, would have been great!
Old 01-07-18, 01:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like the Q50 but after nearly 3 years am still too in love with my GS to seriously think about parting with it.

I have a friend who is very satisfied with his Q50, 4 years in.
Old 01-07-18, 01:51 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
I like the Q50 but after nearly 3 years am still too in love with my GS to seriously think about parting with it.

I have a friend who is very satisfied with his Q50, 4 years in.
I just came out of the grocery store and took a double take at my car like "damn it looks sooo nice" but something is just missing. I love the front end with the front lip and being lowered. Looks so agressive compared to the refresh
Old 01-07-18, 05:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It’s a great looking car. I can’t give it up, but my next car will definitely have more power. I have thought about a GS F but we’ll see.
Old 01-07-18, 06:33 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

you are not going to find Q50RS for under $375 a month.. i think you'll be lucky at $500 before taxes..

My lease ends for my 15 ends in a year.. hopefully 2018 GS will get blown out with 2019 re-design..
I'll see what's leasing decently.. I am aiming for $300 or less, this time around
Old 01-07-18, 07:03 PM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
. I am thinking if getting into an Infiniti Q50 RS400 because the payment for it is less than $375 a month with $0 down. It is kind of a no brainer and will let Infiniti make the final payments on the car, which should put me right under $500 a month with negative equity..
There are some great deals possible with the q50, but where are you getting 375 with 0 down on a Red Sport? Why are you rolling in the negative equity if you got a payoff check from Volvo?
Old 01-08-18, 02:24 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If your lease is paid off just return the car to Lexus. You can do this anytime if they've already received the payment from Volvo. Don't trade it to Infiniti unless they will give you more than the residual value.
Old 01-08-18, 04:16 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My lease is up in July (FINALLY) and looking into another car and something with a cheaper payment. My wife got a Volvo last month, which they already paid off my Lexus lease and I get to keep the car. I am thinking if getting into an Infiniti Q50 RS400 because the payment for it is less than $375 a month with $0 down. It is kind of a no brainer and will let Infiniti make the final payments on the car, which should put me right under $500 a month with negative equity. I do like the Lexus but it is just simply boring with no mods whatsoever and the biggest thing is their lease deals absolutely suck.

Do any of you have any thoughts on the RS400 vs maybe another brand in its class? I know in size Q50 is much smaller but I am not that big of a guy so it's fine.
You should go test drive one. I have a 2017 RS400, there are some general complaints about the car but 90% is due to the tires. The Runflats are complete trash.. New tires make the car feel almost like a different car entirely. Stock RS's with better tires can easily do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. There are some people who have timed at 4.1 in a RS with better tires (AWD version). They are quick cars. The transmission is also not as bad as people say, it takes some getting used to and I don't use the paddle shifters as they are not useful and flat out suck. You will NOT find a RS for $375 per month. It's just not possible. There are some people getting them for $450 which is the lowest I've seen. Personally I like the Front of 2017 better and the rear of 2018's better, also the 2018's come with a Blacked out grille option making it look much meaner than it already does. Coming from a GS you'll really notice how much faster the Infiniti is. I have about 13K on mine and no issues so far.
Old 01-08-18, 05:32 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
You should go test drive one. I have a 2017 RS400, there are some general complaints about the car but 90% is due to the tires. The Runflats are complete trash.. New tires make the car feel almost like a different car entirely. Stock RS's with better tires can easily do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. There are some people who have timed at 4.1 in a RS with better tires (AWD version). They are quick cars. The transmission is also not as bad as people say, it takes some getting used to and I don't use the paddle shifters as they are not useful and flat out suck. You will NOT find a RS for $375 per month. It's just not possible. There are some people getting them for $450 which is the lowest I've seen. Personally I like the Front of 2017 better and the rear of 2018's better, also the 2018's come with a Blacked out grille option making it look much meaner than it already does. Coming from a GS you'll really notice how much faster the Infiniti is. I have about 13K on mine and no issues so far.
I partially agree with this statement. I agree in that the transmission is not as bad as everyone says. I don't think I've ever had a single complaint with the transmission. On the other hand, I actually really enjoyed shifting with the paddle shifters, though you do have to drive pretty aggressively to get them to respond quickly (this is built-in to the transmission shift logic. Low throttle applications while shifting will induce a bit of lag and delay. High throttle actually gives you some pretty snappy and aggressive shifts).
Old 01-08-18, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

My lease is up in July (FINALLY) and looking into another car and something with a cheaper payment. My wife got a Volvo last month, which they already paid off my Lexus lease and I get to keep the car.
Who's they here? how do you get to keep a car after lease is up unless you buy it out?
I am thinking if getting into an Infiniti Q50 RS400 because the payment for it is less than $375 a month with $0 down. It is kind of a no brainer and will let Infiniti make the final payments on the car, which should put me right under $500 a month with negative equity.
Don't follow this either. If it's $375/mo. Why is it then right under $500? Why will infiniti make the final payments?
Old 01-08-18, 09:23 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Who's they here? how do you get to keep a car after lease is up unless you buy it out?Don't follow this either. If it's $375/mo. Why is it then right under $500? Why will infiniti make the final payments?
Sometime when you buy a car the dealer agrees to pay off your current lease and have you return the car rather than then buying it out. Mercedes did that with my BMW. They paid the remaining lease payments and told me to return the car when ever it was convenient for me. Title never transfers to them. The only thing is they are paying off the lease.
Old 01-15-18, 09:07 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Who's they here? how do you get to keep a car after lease is up unless you buy it out?Don't follow this either. If it's $375/mo. Why is it then right under $500? Why will infiniti make the final payments?
Volvo paid off my Lexus already technically as part of there conquest cash bonus for my wife's S90. Obviously I pocked that $4500 so I can put it towards my business. So if Infiniti takes my final payments from Lexus, it is still negative equity. A bit confusing but I should have clarified it better

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 RS400