Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 02:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
RX and GX are not the same thing, but they are technically both AWD vehicles. Their AWD system setup is much different of course. And you are wrong about AWD = computer deciding what gets what. There are many AWD setups that are purely mechanical, in fact most earlier AWD setups are like that.
They are not the same AWD. Stop making it confusing. The GX is a full time 4WD set up. The RX is AWD. What you don’t understand is that the 4WD means that the GX can be locked into 4x4 mode in either HI or LO indefinitely. You cannot do that with a RX.
Old 01-13-18, 02:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So not even two weeks ago I destroyed two tires by hitting a metal plate sticking out from the road. Today destroyed one more by hitting a pothole. The roads in in NE are just horrible, and we only had a single snow storm. The retards from DOT completely destroy them when they plow the snow.

Never mind AWD, next winter I will buy a truck with big offroad tires that are hard to destroy.

And another thing - modern tires suck.
Old 01-13-18, 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och

Never mind AWD, next winter I will buy a truck with big offroad tires that are hard to destroy.
Probably a good idea. Only trucks come with part time 4X4. No full time 4x4 systems as far as I know.
Old 01-13-18, 02:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Probably a good idea. Only trucks come with part time 4X4. No full time 4x4 systems as far as I know.
By truck I mean BOF vehicle basically. Most likely a Wrangler or maybe an old Bronco if I go full on bonkers.
Old 01-13-18, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
By truck I mean BOF vehicle basically. Most likely a Wrangler or maybe an old Bronco if I go full on bonkers.
Can’t go wrong with BOF. Very satisfying. I highly recommend them. But not as daily drivers.
Old 01-13-18, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

???? Not sure I follow you on that one. A number of pickups, today, have full-time 4X4, at least as an option. But, yes, it generally started in SUVs before it pickups adopted it.
Old 01-13-18, 02:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

They are not the same AWD. Stop making it confusing. The GX is a full time 4WD set up. The RX is AWD. What you don’t understand is that the 4WD means that the GX can be locked into 4x4 mode in either HI or LO indefinitely. You cannot do that with a RX.
What would you call a vehicle that is unibody, with independent front and rear suspension, yet has lockable center diff and low gear - AWD of full time 4WD?
Old 01-13-18, 02:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
???? Not sure I follow you on that one. A number of pickups, today, have full-time 4X4, at least as an option. But, yes, it generally started in SUVs before it pickups adopted it.
No. I think every truck out there is 2WD and/or auto 4WD/4WD. I don’t think any truck has full time 4WD.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-13-18 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 02:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
What would you call a vehicle that is unibody, with independent front and rear suspension, yet has lockable center diff and low gear - AWD of full time 4WD?
Depends. Does the 4WD disengage to become 2WD? You never said if the AWD or 4WD is always working.
Old 01-13-18, 02:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Depends. Does the 4WD disengage to become 2WD?
No. Disengaging 4WD automatically makes it part time.
Old 01-13-18, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
No. Disengaging 4WD automatically makes it part time.
So then your original question. It would be full time time 4WD. Essentially, you are describing a Land Rover Discovery if I am correct.
Old 01-13-18, 03:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

So then your original question. It would be full time time 4WD. Essentially, you are describing a Land Rover Discovery if I am correct.
2005-2015 Suzuki grand Vitara. In base config in the US it was AWD with open center diff, but had an optional locking diff and optional low range gear.
Old 01-13-18, 03:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I believe that an RX is an "automatic passive PT" 4WD, while an LX is a "manual active PT" 4WD.
I believe that only a Acural RLX, GS/LS or Audi etc is "automatic permanent/FT" 4WD.

I don't believe AWD should be presumed to mean automatic passive PT 4WD as used in RX etc.

AWD means just that - all wheels are driven!
In a 4-wheeled vehicle, AWD means 4WD.
In a 6-wheeled vehicle, AWD means 6WD!
In a 6-wheeled vehicle with 4WD, only 4 of the 6 wheels are powering the vehicle!

Note that a full size truck is actually both RWD & 4WD, because there are four wheels in the rear to drive the truck!
Two wheels on the left, and another two wheels on the right.

A central diff lock and low range gear is another matter, because a RWD vehicle could have a rear diff lock, but it is still a RWD vehicle.
Consequently, a 4WD vehicle with a center diff lock, is still a 4WD vehicle.

It's the same with CUV/SUV; I don't think either term should be used.
It's really a case of 1-piece unitary construction versus 2-piece body-on-frame ladder chassis construction.

Just as we have a low coupe and medium sedan, I believe CUV/SUV's should be more correctly called tall wagons.
More specifically, it is an upright cabin with a wagon tailgate!
I think it is more important to call it a tall wagon, than to specify the type of body construction as CUV or SUV.

Thereafter, their degree of off-road ability should be specified as either light duty like RX, or heavy duty like LX.

An AWD GS/LS is really an all-weather vehicle.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-13-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
2005-2015 Suzuki grand Vitara. In base config in the US it was AWD with open center diff, but had an optional locking diff and optional low range gear.
So the optional locking center diff and optional lo gear will make it a full time 4WD. But something tells it’s 2WD when you opt for the LO range.
Old 01-13-18, 03:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

No. I think every truck out there is 2WD and/or auto 4WD/4WD. I don’t think any truck has full time 4WD.
well in the toyota lineup alone, the Land Cruiser and 4Runner limited are both full time 4WD and have a center differential

source: i've sold both of them lol

Quick Reply: All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?