Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thank you, Jill, but I'm aware of how Subaru AWD is set up. I owned one for six years. You're arguing semantics....AWD is a particular type of full-time 4WD, but you're correct that it lacks the transfer case and low-range (which is primarily used for off-roading). And, no, Subaru AWD systems usually don't have a differential lock...but other car-based systems sometimes do. The car-based AWD Mazda Protege sedan, for example (now out of production) has a locking differential. So do most small car-based SUVs like my brother's Kia Sportage....even though it lacks a low-range.
It’s not semantics. Your information is wrong. Full time 4WD has a lock center diff and a LO range gear. AWD does not come with LO range. Sometimes it has a locking center. But the absence of LO removes the 4WD from the determination. Do you not agree?A vehicle with a center lock and a LO range is vastly superior to an AWD model without.
Old 01-13-18, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Having put a few miles on my new RWD LS I will say in dry weather I definitely do prefer the feel of a RWD car. Driving it in the rain the back end does try to come out some when turning and accelerating where my AWD 2015 would never do that at all, but in the dry the RWD does feel better.

We'll see how I feel next time it snows LOL
Old 01-13-18, 10:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Having put a few miles on my new RWD LS I will say in dry weather I definitely do prefer the feel of a RWD car. Driving it in the rain the back end does try to come out some when turning and accelerating where my AWD 2015 would never do that at all, but in the dry the RWD does feel better.

We'll see how I feel next time it snows LOL
I prefer no four wheel drive on dry pavement as well. However, the Lexus AWD is always on and always is working. That is the nice thing. Same thing as my 4Runner. I will mention I can feeling especially on turning. It is a bit fatiguing IMO. My parents 4Runner seems to be be less. Our LX does not have the same diff like your old LS and my 4Runner where it changes the power transfer, so you don’t feel it as much. If I had to drive my 4Runner as a daily, I probably would rather have part time 4WD, but I only drive it poor weather or for hauling stuff and chores.
Old 01-13-18, 10:06 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Full time 4wd is usually referred to as AWD, and 4wd is usually part time.
You mean Lexus GX and RX are same? No! AWD = any of 4 wheels can get power when called for, full time 4WD has power going to all 4 wheels
all the time. If you have driven military trucks you will understand.
Old 01-13-18, 10:11 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Full time 4wd is usually referred to as AWD, and 4wd is usually part time.
Semantics slightly, however heres how I look at it:

AWD VS 4WD, all wheels can receive power, its just how they distribute (when and how) power.

AWD= a computer dictates who gets what, and which axles are automatically free wheelin or full driven in various percentages (50:50 100:0 30: 70). Most conditions are covered by control logic for the average consumer which is why these things are popular. However certain unique situations where detection logic isnt quick enough, you have basically a car which is AWD doing nothing to drive wheels with traction.

4WD= driver and computer can decide who gets what, either due to a switch, or computer can electronically control system. Most of the time, all wheels receive power if vehicle is in 4hi. The penalty here is excess weight, and thereby reduced fuel economy. Also tbh, how many mid size sedans need center lock diff, or expect to clear snow banks higher then their headlights? Even more so, is would the average consumer of a vehicle really care....a typical RX will traverse maybe a bit of snow while maybe exiting the driveway after a snow plow comes on by.

Last edited by coolsaber; 01-13-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 10:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
You mean Lexus GX and RX are same? No! AWD = any of 4 wheels can get power when called for, full time 4WD has power going to all 4 wheels
all the time. If you have driven military trucks you will understand.
I don’t think he sees the difference. A GX can lock into 4WD 50/50 split for ever. And AWD can or cannot. A GX can allso go into a 4LO as well.
Old 01-13-18, 10:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber

AWD VS 4WD, all wheels can receive power, its just how they distribute (when and how) power.

AWD= a computer dictates who gets what, and which axles are automatically free wheelin or full driven in various percentages (50:50 100:0 30: 70)

4WD= driver and computer can decide who gets what, either due to a switch, or computer can electronically control system. Most of the time, all wheels receive power if vehicle is in 4hi
You still have not seen the difference betweeen full time 4WD and 4WD and AWD.
Old 01-13-18, 10:20 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I prefer no four wheel drive on dry pavement as well. However, the Lexus AWD is always on and always is working. That is the nice thing. Same thing as my 4Runner. I will mention I can feeling especially on turning. It is a bit fatiguing IMO. My parents 4Runner seems to be be less. Our LX does not have the same diff like your old LS and my 4Runner where it changes the power transfer, so you don’t feel it as much. If I had to drive my 4Runner as a daily, I probably would rather have part time 4WD, but I only drive it poor weather or for hauling stuff and chores.
From the Lexus newsroom
Originally Posted by Lexus Press Room
Active Torque Control AWD uses an electronically controlled coupling ahead of the rear differential to vary torque distribution anywhere from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, depending on driving dynamics and road conditions. When accelerating, or starting off on a low-grip surface, torque is quickly provided to all four wheels. At steady speeds, torque is sent only to the front wheels, enhancing fuel efficiency.
Old 01-13-18, 10:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
Of course but I heard Quattro engineer saying their system response time is in Nano-second range. I thought it was typo for milli-second range but Nono is correct.
Maybe the engineer is right, as I have not spoken to any of them, however my source is their press releases: http://www.audi.com/en/innovation/qu...tro_ultra.html
Also they maybe right in saying that detection strategy is in nanosecs, but control output is in miliseconds

"quattro with ultra technology combines driving dynamics with efficiency and helps to cut consumption by up to 0.3 l/100 km. By switching between four-wheel drive and the more efficient front-wheel drive, four-wheel drive is used whenever the driving situation calls for it. The predictive operating strategy activates quattro within a matter of milliseconds."
Old 01-13-18, 10:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

From the Lexus newsroom
Wrong one. That is for the AWD SUVs. Lexus AWD in cars is always on. Never not on. I did fail to mention Lexus Car AWD. Sorry.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-13-18 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Correct, the Lexus sedan AWD system defaults to 70% rear 30% front.
Old 01-13-18, 01:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Correct, the Lexus sedan AWD system defaults to 70% rear 30% front.
The new LS is going to retain the Torsen center diff which is really nice. I wonder if it is going to be the same unit as the 460
Old 01-13-18, 02:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
mmarshall, it does not depend, they are not the same. Do not spread false information. A full time 4WD and part time 4WD have a transfer case that can lock in addition to a LO gear. These Subaru's do not. And for the record, full time 4WD is determined because it has a LO range gear and a center lock diff. None of these AWD set ups have it. The Escalade once had AWD with no LO gear, it was always referred to as AWD, typically GM cost cutting. No center lock either.
Actually you're the one spreading false information. A full time 4wd is referred to as AWD. A transfer case that can lock can only be used under certain conditions and at limited speeds, therefore making it part time. Ditto for locking differentials and locking hubs.
Old 01-13-18, 02:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

AWD= a computer dictates who gets what, and which axles are automatically free wheelin or full driven in various percentages (50:50 100:0 30: 70). Most conditions are covered by control logic for the average consumer which is why these things are popular. However certain unique situations where detection logic isnt quick enough, you have basically a car which is AWD doing nothing to drive wheels with traction.

4WD= driver and computer can decide who gets what, either due to a switch, or computer can electronically control system. Most of the time, all wheels receive power if vehicle is in 4hi. The penalty here is excess weight, and thereby reduced fuel economy. Also tbh, how many mid size sedans need center lock diff, or expect to clear snow banks higher then their headlights? Even more so, is would the average consumer of a vehicle really care....a typical RX will traverse maybe a bit of snow while maybe exiting the driveway after a snow plow comes on by.
RX and GX are not the same thing, but they are technically both AWD vehicles. Their AWD system setup is much different of course. And you are wrong about AWD = computer deciding what gets what. There are many AWD setups that are purely mechanical, in fact most earlier AWD setups are like that.
Old 01-13-18, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Actually you're the one spreading false information. A full time 4wd is referred to as AWD. A transfer case that can lock can only be used under certain conditions and at limited speeds, therefore making it part time. Ditto for locking differentials and locking hubs.
Actually. No. I am not You appear to have no experience with 4WD vehicles. A full time 4WD is not the same as AWD. A full time 4WD can lock the center diff and go into a LO range gear. An AWD does not offer these two options. What you and others are not understanding is that a proper or true 4WD comes with a transfer case that is 2 speeds. One for HI and one for LO, A 4Runner offers both full time 4WD and part time 4WD. A Sequoia offers multi mode 4WD. A Tundra and Tacoma offers part time 4WD. None are the same as AWD, and they should not confused as AWD. The Lexus cars however offer AWD. Lexus BOF SUVs come with a vastly superior full time 4WD set up compared to the AWD RX.

Quick Reply: All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?