Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New LS500h “EXECUTIVE”.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 08:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
MR2, Celica, Supra, GT86 were/are sports cars. They have a huge following and people love them. I don't understand how you can even ask that question, unless you're joking? To say the Japanese can't do a sports car is really funny. The original Honda NSX was basically a game-changer. How about the Nissan GTR? And maybe the most iconic, the Mazda Miata/MX5/Roadster whatever name it goes by. This is really off-topic, though if you wait a little longer, Toyota will have a new sportscar.
The Japanese certainly have the know-how, but they lack the desire to produce anything that isn't mass market, until now, and barely. Celica, MR, Supra, Nissan Z, Mitsu 3000GT and others were discontinued because it did not sell in volume and only now a few models are coming back like the Supra and NSX, meanwhile the GT86 is at risk of being discontinued. While the Germans are content with selling 5-10,000 of a sportscar, the Japanese has no patience for such volumes. It is either volume or bust. Unless the vehicle is of paramount importance like the Landcruiser or LS, low volume is not tolerated. Witness how the GS is neglected. The Germans will, most of the time, soldier on and make better versions, most of the time until that model gains a foothold.

Perhaps that mindset is slowly changing with the existence of the LC and NSX.
Old 01-08-18, 09:40 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by situman

Perhaps that mindset is slowly changing with the existence of the LC and NSX.
Nope, the mindset is not changing, Those models will be used as R&D beds to apply the Kaizen way on the rest of he fleet. Incremental improvements still need a low volume test environments.
Old 01-08-18, 03:14 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Dave what are your thoughts on the new LS vs S-class?

Some reviewers say the LS is definitely in competing range of S class and some say its not even close (mainly from people who haven't driven or sat in the car oddly enough).
I have not driven the car, but interior wise, I have always liked the Lexus better. Styling, obviously is personal preference and I like the S class better. From what I can gather, the ride is very good and extremely smooth, much smoother than the last LS.

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks for the pics. I did not see any signs of a moonroof on this car. Does it have the panoramic roof instead? I thought the moonroof was standard equipment. Maybe not in Japan.

If you don't mind, please post a few pics of the rear seats. Thanks! You said it's the executive package. Does it have the DVD screens?
No, the moon roof is an option and they have never liked them so again for this car they have chosen no moon roof. I do believe they have the rear entertainment system from memory, but they are going on a cruise and I won't have access to the car, but when they get back I can take some pics.