Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

For you Mazda Miata fans.....some cosmetic changes for 2018.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 11:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The S2000's main problem, though, was that its VTEC four didn't reach its (extremely narrow) power-band until motorcycle RPMs. I remember, the first version had a 9000 RPM redline, with HP peak at 8600 and torque peak at 7600. Below 6000, it was like a slug. The subsequent version had slightly lower power-peaks, but not much. We also saw that, to a lesser extent, on the first VTEC Toyota four in the 2000-2005 Celica GT and some versions of the Matrix. A lot of these engines, BTW, were damaged or ruined because over-zealous kids gave them too many RPMs while drag-racing....I saw a couple of those ruined engines myself in the service bays.
Oh man the engine was my favorite thing about the S2000. You have to drive it like you hate it and have faith that it isn't going to fly apart. The engine really is a Dr Jeyklle/Mr Hyde sort of device, feels like the engine out of your Civic if you're just putting around town in terms of feel and power level. Cane it past 5500rpm where you normally shift in other cars, its a total monster. I agree though that it isn't an engine for everybody, as you do need to be pretty adept at driving stick to get the most out of it and be real good at rev-match downshifting, heel-toe braking, etc.

I also haven't driven the AP1 S2000, which revved to 9000rpm. The AP2 model I have some seat time in has a revised engine that doesn't rev quite as high but has more mid-range punch, it starts to come on around 4000rpm and then punches you in the face around 5500-6000rpm when the cam changes over. I never found the lack of low end grunt annoying, but then again my expectation was this isn't a V8 detroit barge, its a high strung sports car.

Its funny too, as much as I love the Miata, I still think the S2000 is a better car even vs the new Miata. Given a choice, new Miata or super minty fresh S2000, I'd go S2000, even if it does cost about the same for a car that is 10+ years old.
Old 01-05-18, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Yes, the Miata has a lot going for itself too.... including a great power-to-weight ratio. It handles great and you can throw it around without worry. The only downside to it is body stiffness and a tiny bit of cowl shake. I don't know if those have been sorted out in the newest versions, so I may be hanging onto some old baggage. I just wish I could live with the back end looks!

I test-drove the latest Miata version, and, with the top both up and down, didn't detect any significant cowl-shake, though, of course, I didn't flog the car at its limits. In fact, the last convertible I tested that did have significant cowl-shake was the admittedly poorly-built Mitsubishi Eclipse...and that car is no longer offered in the American market. Today's convertibles are quite well-built from that perspective...the Buick Cascada, for example (which is a re-badged European Opel/Vauxhall Cascada), even with stiff-riding 20" wheels/tires felt as solid in its body structure as my Verano sedan (also a small Opel re-badge).
Old 01-05-18, 08:19 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I encourage you to find a dealer who has an S2000 on the lot, and ask for a test drive. You will be amazed at the handling, the sound, AND prepare to have a smile that no one can wipe off for a week! The car has an incredibly high power-to-weight ratio, which is why it works.
Yes then I buy it and realized "crap I'm always stuck in traffic in a Civic and someone is making a smoothie under the hood."
Old 01-05-18, 09:51 AM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Yes then I buy it and realized "crap I'm always stuck in traffic in a Civic and someone is making a smoothie under the hood."
LOL, quite funny!
But if you are calling an S2000 a Civic with a blender in it, you are like one of those proverbial NewYorkers who haven't ever been outside of Manhattan! Like the Miata, the S2000 was also on the 10 best list for years, until they ceased manufacturing in 2009.
Take a test drive, then talk. I consider myself incredibly lucky to own a 2007 Honda S2000...... Other than pricey supercars, I have owned and driven many sports cars in my life...... nothing has yet compared to the S2000.
Old 01-05-18, 12:14 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Oh man the engine was my favorite thing about the S2000. You have to drive it like you hate it and have faith that it isn't going to fly apart. The engine really is a Dr Jeyklle/Mr Hyde sort of device, feels like the engine out of your Civic if you're just putting around town in terms of feel and power level. Cane it past 5500rpm where you normally shift in other cars, its a total monster. I agree though that it isn't an engine for everybody, as you do need to be pretty adept at driving stick to get the most out of it and be real good at rev-match downshifting, heel-toe braking, etc.

I also haven't driven the AP1 S2000, which revved to 9000rpm. The AP2 model I have some seat time in has a revised engine that doesn't rev quite as high but has more mid-range punch, it starts to come on around 4000rpm and then punches you in the face around 5500-6000rpm when the cam changes over. I never found the lack of low end grunt annoying, but then again my expectation was this isn't a V8 detroit barge, its a high strung sports car.

Its funny too, as much as I love the Miata, I still think the S2000 is a better car even vs the new Miata. Given a choice, new Miata or super minty fresh S2000, I'd go S2000, even if it does cost about the same for a car that is 10+ years old.
I honestly love my AP2. I love taking it out to the country and driving it spiritedly. I've never felt that it needs more power either.
Old 01-08-18, 08:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

LOL, quite funny!
But if you are calling an S2000 a Civic with a blender in it, you are like one of those proverbial NewYorkers who haven't ever been outside of Manhattan! Like the Miata, the S2000 was also on the 10 best list for years, until they ceased manufacturing in 2009.
Take a test drive, then talk. I consider myself incredibly lucky to own a 2007 Honda S2000...... Other than pricey supercars, I have owned and driven many sports cars in my life...... nothing has yet compared to the S2000.
Sorry for offending you. I just dont appreciate needing to drive the car to within 8/10 of its life to get the most out of it. Unfortunately, I dont life in Montana or the middle of nowhere America so there are plenty of expensive consequences for flooring my car every chance I get. I suppose hitting a cow crossing the road is quite expensive too.
Old 01-08-18, 09:06 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Sorry for offending you. I just dont appreciate needing to drive the car to within 8/10 of its life to get the most out of it. Unfortunately, I dont life in Montana or the middle of nowhere America so there are plenty of expensive consequences for flooring my car every chance I get. I suppose hitting a cow crossing the road is quite expensive too.
One of my cars is a 2013 Miata Club. You don’t need to be driving at 8/10 to get the most out of a Miata. The point being made was that a Miata at 8/10ths is well within both the car’s own performance envelope and also reasonably safe speeds on the road. The Miata’s biggest talent isn’t how fast it gets up to speed but how easily it maintains it, particularly when the road isn’t straight.
Old 01-08-18, 02:29 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No offence taken. I'm just asking how you can form an opinion of something without trying it? Not sure just how you gained the opinion that you have to drive an S2000 or a Miata to within 8/10 of its life to get the most out of it. Those cars are so light and stiff (by design) that they have huge power-to-weight ratio's. They accelerate plenty quick, and will beat many cars in the 3L 6 cyl. range. In the case of the S2000, the Variable Valve Timing kicks in at around 5,800 rpm and gives a huge punch to your backside, but you don't need to use that at all. When you put the power to them on a curve, they don't step out, they just get squat and carve the turn like you won't believe. And the other thing to remember is that those engines are designed to be bullet-proof even at high rpm's; you are not taking them anywhere near their lives!! But then again, I'm not really sure why I'm trying to convince you - I will close the subject by saying, you just gotta test drive one and you will know; otherwise you won't.
Old 01-08-18, 11:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Let me guess, you live in suburban NYC, where the traffic is ****, there are too many people, weather sucks for 6 months of the year, and no good b-roads to drive on. If I lived in some craphole like northern New Jersey, Long Island, Yonkers, Connecticut, etc I wouldn't own an S2000 or Miata, no good roads to drive on just for the fun of it. These aren't good commuter cars, they're like poor man's exotics IMO, you take them out on a nice day when you want to go on a drive in the country.

Yes you can commute in them and go to the store, they are Japanese reliable and very cheap to service, but then you're missing the whole point.