Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Nissan Xterra may return as the segment heats up

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 04:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default The Nissan Xterra may return as the segment heats up

Xterra returning?

Meanwhile, Bunce tells WardsAuto Nissan is “very, very closely” looking at a return to the off-road utility segment, given the resurgence in popularity of the vehicle type. An all-new Jeep Wrangler is due in 2018, a new Ford Bronco comes in 2020 and various automakers recently have shown rugged concepts, including Toyota with its FT-AC CUV at November’s Los Angeles auto show.

“We know (via research) the Millennial male, through devices they’re becoming more isolated,” he says. “And they want to reconnect with friends, family, outdoors. And a vehicle is an expression, a way to do that. We’re doing a lot of work in the space to understand that customer very well.”

Citing an unnamed source, Motor Trend in October reported a body-on-frame SUV from the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi alliance, possibly a third-generation Xterra, is bound for April’s Beijing auto show.

While Nissan discontinued its off-road-oriented Xterra SUV in ’15, Bunce tells WardsAuto it “is a great asset in terms of a name and a badge. It’s on the shelf right now, but it’s something we could utilize in the future.
Source
Old 12-28-17, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

“We know (via research) the Millennial male, through devices they’re becoming more isolated,” he says. “And they want to reconnect with friends, family, outdoors. And a vehicle is an expression, a way to do that. We’re doing a lot of work in the space to understand that customer very well.”
Not only that, but Millennials are still young enough that their backs, legs, and kidneys can tolerate the kind of ride that these vehicles typically produce, especially off-road or on rough pavement.

The marketers of this type of vehicle, though, seem to be concentrating more and more on 4-door versions. I'm not sure I agree with that. Sure, four-door Explorers, Grand Cherokees, Highlanders, Muranos, Equinoxes, etc.....sell in huge numbers, there's no question about that. But those vehicles are aimed mostly at families, and/or for older persons driving around with kids and pets....essentially AWD suburban station-wagons. While the 4-door Wrangler Unlimited has had some success (simply to the Wrangler's great popularity in general), many true off-road enthusiasts prefer the 2-door body style...for one thing, with fewer door-hole-openings, it adds somewhat more rigidity to the body/frame or unibody, shortens the wheelbase, and increases the approach/breakover/departure angles.....useful off road. It also generally gives off-roaders a sportier and more classic look. Ford (or another source?) teased us with an (IMO) dynamite-looking 2-door Bronco in concept-shots, but the final production version will be essentially a 4-door version of the Ranger, not the crisp looking retro-prototype. Many of those, however, who are true enthusiasts would prefer the two-door version. One must remember (and I think Nissan would also be wise to remember it with a new Xterra, if it is put into production), that many of those interested in classic off-roaders like this are not necessary interested in (or need) 4-door versions.

Old 12-29-17, 12:58 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

2 door SUV's are dead IMO, only one of them lives on due to 75 years of heritage dating back to the war.

A short wheelbase 4 door with a small back seat will sell, a 2 door on the same wheelbase with the same rear seat room will not IMO.

I'd like to see Nissan sell a more hardcore off-road version of the current Armada. Its the same truck sold over in the middle East and Africa to try the Land Cruiser, I'm sure they sell more off road oriented versions in those markets that are not sold in the USA.
Old 12-29-17, 03:50 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Another case of a company not taking care of a model, dropping it, then getting caught with their pants down. The Xterra should have been updated and upgraded all along, then it would have continue selling decently. But due to neglect, Nissan dropped it and blamed everything/everyone else. Now...no surprise...SUV's are popular again and they need it! Never should have dropped it in the first place. As I've been saying for years, when a product is designed well and appealing, it fills a profitable niche/void that can carry a brand through, even as trends dip and boom.
Old 12-29-17, 08:26 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
As I've been saying for years, when a product is designed well and appealing, it fills a profitable niche/void that can carry a brand through, even as trends dip and boom.
the Xterra was not designed well, which contributed to its demise. its short wheelbase combined with its high COG made it the most tip prone of all passenger vehicles on the market according to NHTSA statistics. safety ratings & liability lawsuits count too.
Old 12-29-17, 08:26 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Xterra was discontinued in 2015?

I thought that was discontinued more like 2003 lol.

That's insane.
Old 12-29-17, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
2 door SUV's are dead IMO, only one of them lives on due to 75 years of heritage dating back to the war.
My point, though, is that demand for them is not necessarily dead.
Old 12-29-17, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My point, though, is that demand for them is not necessarily dead.
It's not dead, but 'demand' is not as much as those wanting a 4-door version in this day and age. The 90s was something else. These companies do their research.

As companies and consumers alike start to re-embrace these off-road SUVs, I believe we could see GM resurrect the Typhoon or Blazer name again to combat the Bronco.
Old 12-29-17, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's not dead, but 'demand' is not as much as those wanting a 4-door version in this day and age. The 90s was something else. These companies do their research.
The key here, though, is that there already are plenty of 4-door SUVs for those who want them....look at all of the Explorers, Highlanders, Grand Cherokees, Muranos, Equinoxes, etc.....that sell each day. I don't see where that particular market needs any more, perhaps except for makes like Genesis that don't already have some of their own. The problem is that, for those who do like the classic two-doors, there just aren't any, besides the Wrangler, in the American market.....they are the ones that are suffering.

As companies and consumers alike start to re-embrace these off-road SUVs, I believe we could see GM resurrect the Typhoon or Blazer name again to combat the Bronco.
Those two kind of represent apples and oranges. The Typhoon, for its era, was primarily a high-performance dragster, not a classic off-roader like the old two-door, body-on-frame Blazers. In fact, if my memory is correct, GM wouldn't even allow towing with the Typhoon or Cyclone.
Old 12-29-17, 03:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
the Xterra was not designed well, which contributed to its demise. its short wheelbase combined with its high COG made it the most tip prone of all passenger vehicles on the market according to NHTSA statistics. safety ratings & liability lawsuits count too.
All true. However, I think Nissan rectified the tip-over problems about halfway into it. The rest could have been addressed with suspension tweaks and updates. The unit really didn't change much other than a mild facelift.
Old 12-29-17, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
All true. However, I think Nissan rectified the tip-over problems about halfway into it. The rest could have been addressed with suspension tweaks and updates. The unit really didn't change much other than a mild facelift.
The Tipsies wasn't limited to the XTerra by any means. It was (and, to some extent, is) one of the banes of almost all of the small, short-wheelbase/narrow-track body-on-frame, off-road SUVs. Modern suspensions and electronic stability systems help to some extent, but the laws of physics are going to apply when you have a tall, narrow center of gravity....it's a tough nut to crack.
Old 12-29-17, 05:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first generation of Xterra certainly did have its issues. A friend of a friend found it a bit too much of a "leaner" when you drove it in strong crosswinds. That tall boxy body and all. But if you miss the Xterra platform, there's no need to lament its departure, just go buy a Nissan Frontier which shared the platform. Always liked those but they had their issues and they were absolute gas guzzlers for what you got. Might as well have bought a full size truck.

If Nissan does revive Xterra in the US, it's probably going to be based on the China/India market Navara/Paladin trucks.

Old 12-29-17, 07:10 PM
Hoovey689

The key here, though, is that there already are plenty of 4-door SUVs for those who want them....look at all of the Explorers, Highlanders, Grand Cherokees, Muranos, Equinoxes, etc.....that sell each day. I don't see where that particular market needs any more, perhaps except for makes like Genesis that don't already have some of their own. The problem is that, for those who do like the classic two-doors, there just aren't any, besides the Wrangler, in the American market.....they are the ones that are suffering.
With the exception of the JGC, the rest are just soft CUVs with limited AWD capability. The Bronco, Xterra, FJ Cruiser / Toyota FT-AC are actually built for more tough adventures.

Those two kind of represent apples and oranges. The Typhoon, for its era, was primarily a high-performance dragster, not a classic off-roader like the old two-door, body-on-frame Blazers. In fact, if my memory is correct, GM wouldn't even allow towing with the Typhoon or Cyclone.
If you go by the letter of what it was sure. But so long as GM sought fit a name people knew or could associate then it makes perfect sense. The Bronco will no doubt have a 2.7L EcoBoost and possibly the 3.5L. The Typhoon and Syclone used 4.3L Turbo V6's. So it's very plausible, though I believe if they do a rugged off-road SUV, they'll chose the Blazer moniker.
Old 12-30-17, 05:31 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Other than the Grand Cherokee, the Explorer, Highlander, Murano and Equinox (and other similar vehicles) are all car-based -- or "crossover" -- utility vehicles. I would not take these crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) any further off road than driving on some grass.

The Xterra, however, like the Toyota 4Runner and Jeep Grand Cherokee, is built tough and to be a true off-roader.
Old 12-30-17, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Other than the Grand Cherokee, the Explorer, Highlander, Murano and Equinox (and other similar vehicles) are all car-based -- or "crossover" -- utility vehicles. I would not take these crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) any further off road than driving on some grass.

The Xterra, however, like the Toyota 4Runner and Jeep Grand Cherokee, is built tough and to be a true off-roader.

Which proves my point. On or off-road, car or truck-based, there are plenty of different 4-door SUVs on the market, from virtually all manufacturers, to satisfy just about anyone. But how many two-doors? Other than base versions of the Wrangler, I can't think of any in the American market...despite the fact that there is indeed at least some demand for them.

That's the mistake, IMO, that I think Ford is making with the Bronco...and maybe Nissan with this new Xterra. Bring back a real Bronco....and maybe a shortened-wheelbase 2-door Xterra. So, you don't want a 2-door? There's plenty of 4-doors on the market.....so Happy Shopping.