Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 12:03 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Is your pricing accurate? Was the dealer giving you a discount?

An Advance Package RDX, with a non-special color (meaning no paint price increase), cost $47,400 before destination and $48,395 with destination. With extra dealer junk on it - you are looking at least $49,000 for the Advance Pack.
There is no possible way to get $47,000 unless its discounted. Which I doubt it is because its a brand new car.

https://www.acura.com/build-price/rdx?modelyear=2019
Build the RDX yourself - there is no way to get a lower price than $48,395 on an Advance Pack RDX. Acura's packing is simple - its either you have everything or one thing.
I don't understand your serious defense of the NX relative to the RDX. Yes, the base is $47,400, pretty close to Fred's $47,000. Even with delivery at $47395 it is a bargain. I don't know where you got the cost for extra dealer junk, the local dealer does not add to sticker. The RDX is simply much better than the NX. The biggest difference to me is in the engine where the Honda 2 liter greatly overpowers the pathetic Lexus 2 liter. Every Lexus enthusiast should be embarrassed about the poor performance of that engine. Calling it a "300" instead of "200t" only makes it worse. A better name would be "150" or maybe "120".
Old 06-02-18, 12:26 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I don't understand your serious defense of the NX relative to the RDX. Yes, the base is $47,400, pretty close to Fred's $47,000. Even with delivery at $47395 it is a bargain. I don't know where you got the cost for extra dealer junk, the local dealer does not add to sticker. The RDX is simply much better than the NX. The biggest difference to me is in the engine where the Honda 2 liter greatly overpowers the pathetic Lexus 2 liter. Every Lexus enthusiast should be embarrassed about the poor performance of that engine. Calling it a "300" instead of "200t" only makes it worse. A better name would be "150" or maybe "120".
If you read comments, you would know that I'm not defending the NX relative to the RDX. I'm defending the specifically the NX300 F-Sport to the RDX A-Spec. My point was, and from the beginning, is: The NX300 F-Sport is wedged between the A-Spec RDX and the Advance RDX. My final point is: the NX300 F-Sport is better than the A-Spec RDX because the A-Spec trim gives way less features compared to the NX300 F-Sport. While the NX300 F-Sport is smaller and slower, it carries more features within the car compared to the A-Spec RDX. I have listed these features out to prove my point too.

Note: I did say the Advance Pack RDX is better than the NX in general. However - the A-Spec RDX is not better than the NX300 F-Sport.

Actually - the local dealer does add to the sticker. Dealers can add on cargo-nets, wheel locks, key fob "gloves", rails, and etc... This adds to the sticker price. This goes under "dealer options"... This is why when you shop for cars - no car is exactly a specific price. IE: Two cars with the same packages and one could cost more because there are "dealer extras".

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-you-...ces-1820176837
Here's a link for your reference. There are port-installed accessories and dealer-installed accessories. I'm specifically talking about the accessories the dealer installs onto the vehicles after taking delivery from the port.

Sure. The detuned Type R engine is great engine. The Lexus NX doesn't have an answer for it. The Lexus NX doesn't offer a "higher output" engine. If anything, the Acura RDX engine is better competed with a NX350 (V6) if that ever comes out.

The naming scheme is for marketing. Why call a C300, 300? Should it be called C250? Why call a 330i, a 330? Shouldn't it be called 250i? Why call a S450, 450? Shouldn't it be called S350?
My point is - don't blame Lexus for doing it. The Germans started it first and Lexus copied. Why don't you blame the Germans for doing it?

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-02-18 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 01:11 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The naming scheme is for marketing. Why call a C300, 300? Should it be called C250? Why call a 330i, a 330? Shouldn't it be called 250i? Why call a S450, 450? Shouldn't it be called S350?
My point is - don't blame Lexus for doing it. The Germans started it first and Lexus copied. Why don't you blame the Germans for doing it?
But the German naming schemes have some relation to relative performance. The Lexus 2 liter performs like a much smaller engine. A GS 300, NX300, or IS300 is saddled with a much more underpowered engine than any of the competition. They are not competitive with BMW, Audi, nor Mercedes 2 liter turbos. Much worse, they are not competitive with Honda or VW or Ford. An NX300 is a cramped, underpowered, stiff riding, overpriced SUV in any of its forms, but particularly the F Sport package. Lexus should be ashamed.
Old 06-02-18, 04:51 AM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
But the German naming schemes have some relation to relative performance. The Lexus 2 liter performs like a much smaller engine. A GS 300, NX300, or IS300 is saddled with a much more underpowered engine than any of the competition. They are not competitive with BMW, Audi, nor Mercedes 2 liter turbos. Much worse, they are not competitive with Honda or VW or Ford. An NX300 is a cramped, underpowered, stiff riding, overpriced SUV in any of its forms, but particularly the F Sport package. Lexus should be ashamed.
Did the NX kill your dog or something. I dont agree with any of yoir comments on the NX. Try to keep an open mind.
Old 06-02-18, 06:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmask5

Did the NX kill your dog or something. I dont agree with any of yoir comments on the NX. Try to keep an open mind.

you are telling someone in an internet forum to keep an open mind?

Last edited by tex2670; 06-02-18 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 06:51 AM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
you are telling someone in an internet forum to keep am open mind?
your right what was I thinking. Lol
Old 06-02-18, 01:44 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Took a quick drive in a 19 RDX Advance. I will admit right off I did not attempt to learn the touchpad, but for the couple of things I was looking for, it seemed like it would not be too difficult to use. Comparing to an NX that I had recently driven while waiting for my RX to be serviced-it was a 17 NX.
1. They both had engine noise, but I think the NX had more noise when flooring it, but I felt the transmission more in the RDX
2. RDX definitely felt faster.
3. RDX at its price point of 46k seemed to offer a lot more- panoramic roof, HUD, etc., as previously mentioned.
I have also tested an X3 ( a family member also has one) and a GLC.
For most of us who do not drive in the 9/10ths of a vehicles performance the driving dynamics are very similar. Looking at it from a 'non-enthusiast' point of view, the RDX does have its advantages. In Florida, for the panoramic sunroof, it is the only one that has a completely solid shade so as not to let in any sunlight when closed. The X3 and also a friends Q5 have a perforated sunscreen which still makes for an extremely hot interior. For some they may think this is not important but again, this is from a general population point of view. The RDX has basically everything and more the other 2 have at a much lower (cheaper)price.
There was also the discussion about cross shopping. I believe there is much more of this going on than posters want to believe. You will always have your die-hard fans of a brand but more and more people are looking at what bang for the buck they can get for their money. Case in point-
family member has an X3- as mentioned earlier. BMW fan and wants to add to the garage either an X5 or X6. Prices them out, takes a 2nd look at what they're getting. They are in Dallas so they are looking a very popular dealership that handles many luxury/semi-luxury brands. Now he is definitely leaning towards a loaded MDX. Saves thousands and hoping the costs down the road are not as much as what they would be for a BMW. Just had to put new tires on the X3 with 18k on it, BMW told him to expect new tires needed every 20k. It was also in the shop for 5 weeks with a steering issue (whole 'nother story). Like I said, BMW fan but looking down the road as he wants something he can keep and not keep sinking money into. I have worked with people who have gone from BMW to Volvo & Honda, Mercedes to Infiniti and also VW, Lexus to Honda. And the luxury vehicles were bought new, they did not buy an old luxury make to trade up to a honda.
Sorry for a bit off topic, but I really think that after my short drive, if Honda/Acura keeps up what they have just started, they will definitely be back in the game- Audi better watch their rear-view mirror!
Old 06-02-18, 01:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Let me start off by saying - I don't know much about the older RX versus the older MDX. So I'll take your word for it - back then - it might be the MDX is considered "more expensive and more upscale." But now its my turn - why are you refusing to answer my question? Which is: why are you actively lowering the price of the RX by refusing to add 1-2 featured packages? The price of the 2018 RX you listed is missing at least 1-2 packages - meaning you are comparing a half packaged RX to a fully packaged MDX. <--- That's not how you compare the two cars.
Current generation - today's model of the RX versus the MDX. The RX is more expensive and more upscale compared to the MDX, like I proved in my previous comment.
BASE:

The base price MDX is $44,200 ($45,195 with destination). The RX350L base price is $47,670 ($48,685 with destination).

FULLY LOADED:
The highest spec FWD non Hybrid MDX (FULLY LOADED) is $56,650 ($57,645 with destination) - $58,650 ($59,645 with destination) AWD. The highest spec FWD non Hybrid RX350L (FULLY LOADED) is $59,090 - $60,490 AWD.
The highest spec Hybrid MDX (FULLY LOADED) is $59,145 (with destination). The highest spec RX450hL(the RX350hL don't exist anymore) (FULLY LOADED) is $60,960 (with destination).

Again - the base model for the RX350L and MDX - the RX is more expensive.
The Lexus RX packaged with Navigation + ML Pack, Weather Pack, Luxury Pack and 360 Camera is more expensive than the Acura MDX packaged with Entertainment, Tech Pack and Advance Pack. Both vehicles are fully loaded and have similar features - yielding a higher price RX.

Lastly - currently - the Lexus RX is more upscale for multiple reasons. The Lexus RX holds better brand prestige, cost more, has more features, and more customization. You are the first person I have heard that said the Acura MDX is more upscale than a Lexus RX.

What? No. The IS250 is not closer compared to the G25. The IS250 is clearly above the G25. The G25 was introduced in 2011 and at the time the IS250 as F-Sport package. The IS250 offered F-Sport Package and Navigation - the G25 did not. You couldn't get a sports or navigation package on the G25. So how is the IS250 closer compared to a G25, which can't even get navigation and other features the Lexus IS250 at the time has?
Sure. Difference in option. Some people could think the Infiniti G35 at the time was a more upscale car. Some people didn't. And I was one of those people. Was the Infiniti G35 a better car? Yes. Was it a more upscale car? No.
At the time - the Lexus brand was internationally sold and known - Infiniti wasn't. So, the Lexus IS250 at the time, has brand prestige, has real wood trim, better quality, better built/finish, and provided a more luxury feel while the G was more sporty feel.
Let me start off by saying - I don't know much about the older RX versus the older MDX.
That is obvious, you keep trying to argue something that is not true, the MDX has always been a more expensive, more upscale vehicle then the RX, it is very common knowledge and I proved it to you. Not sure why there is still a argument.

Current generation - today's model of the RX versus the MDX. The RX is more expensive and more upscale compared to the MDX, like I proved in my previous comment.
Again, there may be some overlap with this generation since they just added a 7 seat RX, most RX buyers are still going to be getting the 5 seats RX which is still less expensive then the standard MDX so most buyers are still going to be paying more for the MDX vs the RX, if you are going by base versions/adding awd of each vehicle the MDX is still priced higher then a RX, you have to go for a higher end RX option to start getting in the overlap/higher price for a trim. The MDX will be going more upscale and will be more expensive the next generation just like the RDX has so this overlap right now will be going away and the MDX will again be more upscale and expensive then the RX. My original argument was about the MDX vs RX over the generations, it was always a more expensive, better equipped, more upscale vehicle.

Lastly - currently - the Lexus RX is more upscale for multiple reasons. The Lexus RX holds better brand prestige, cost more, has more features, and more customization. You are the first person I have heard that said the Acura MDX is more upscale than a Lexus RX.
Lexus has better brand prestige, sure but that does not mean individual models of every Lexus are more upscale then every Acura model, a ES or IS are certainly not more upscale then a RLX, a RC is certainly not more upscale then a NSX, NX certainly not more upscale then a MDX. Even currently, unless the 7 seat RX is very popular which it may not be the avg price of the MDX vs RX, MDX is still going to be higher, base MDX or MDX with awd is more expensive then base RX or RX with awd, once you add the popular tech package(nav) to a MDX awd you are already over 50K, the MDX has a much more advanced AWD system, I believe MDX has a better rear seat controls/entertainment package too the current RX, I don't think the RX even offered rear seat controls/entertainment package in previous generations. Again, the MDX will be going more upscale and be more expensive next generation.
You must not talk to many people because it is common knowledge pretty much everywhere that the MDX has always been a more expensive, more upscale vehicle then the RX.

What? No. The IS250 is not closer compared to the G25.
At the time - the Lexus brand was internationally sold and known - Infiniti wasn't. So, the Lexus IS250 at the time, has brand prestige, has real wood trim, better quality, better built/finish, and provided a more luxury feel while the G was more sporty feel.

They both had small, 200ish hp engines so many including me see that as being closer compared to the IS350 and G35/37 that had larger V6's with 300ish hp. Infiniti was also sold internationally, they sell vehicles in Europe and other markets, IS had better finish and quality in most areas, G was larger and more sporty, some buyers see the sportier larger vehicles as being the biggest draw and most prestigious, just depends, I would much rather have a G35/37 over a IS250, now a IS350 would be a different story.
Old 06-02-18, 04:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The NX didn't kill my dog, but I agree with his comments on the NX. I was really looking forward to the NX right before it came out. Months of waiting, I finally got my hands on one and when I drove it, I came out utterly unimpressed. About the only thing I liked were the seats. I scrapped my plan to buy the NX and went straight for the RX. It costs more, but I felt I got a lot more vehicle for the price.
Old 06-02-18, 05:33 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The NX didn't kill my dog, but I agree with his comments on the NX. I was really looking forward to the NX right before it came out. Months of waiting, I finally got my hands on one and when I drove it, I came out utterly unimpressed. About the only thing I liked were the seats. I scrapped my plan to buy the NX and went straight for the RX. It costs more, but I felt I got a lot more vehicle for the price.
I was disappointed with the NX too. I was flip flopping between the NX and the GS because having the cargo room would've been handy with the kid on the way, but the engine and interior ended that debate quickly.
Old 06-02-18, 09:51 PM
Noble8626
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just test drove the new RDX (Tech package) this afternoon at one of my local Acura dealers. The short and sweet ....everything that's already been said is pretty much true. If you want more detail, read below.

In my opinion, the vehicle already looks chiseled and handsome in pictures but it looks significantly better in person (as most automobiles tend to do), especially in the A-Spec trim with that Apex Blue Pearl color which is just as stunning as Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 (pictures don't do these colors justice). Those non-A-Spec wheels, I don't know what their official name is but they are the ones that everyone hates, yea ...those are ugly and I wouldn't even accept them on a HR-V, it really cheapens the look. There was a third wheel option (10-spoke star pattern?) I saw on another RDX that was on the floor and those were "OK", I could put up with those. Big exhaust tips on the A-Spec were nice and beefy, really rounded out the "sport" look. It's amusing how Acura went from hiding exhaust tips to putting cannons on the back. Front Acura emblem is huge in case anyone needs further validation lol.

I didn't have much seat time but the interior is just as nice as everyone's already mentioned. The seating comfort in the A-Spec was extremely comfortable. I felt that it was more plush than NX F-Sport seats but they were still very supportive in all the right areas. The F-sport seats are nice but they felt a touch firmer to me and the side bolsters are more snug than whats on the A-Spec. I would say the RDX seats will coddle better over long trips but for those who like a more snug seat they might prefer the F-Sports. Dash and door panel trim is very good. I've not been inside of its German competitors but if Redline and AoA say it's just as good, I believe em. Compared to the NX, interior fit and finish, material quality, and cohesive design layout, I gotta give the edge to the RDX. The soft touch material on the top dash feels premium, the steering wheel felt fantastic, and the glossy black trim was not as cheap/thin feeling as I was expecting. Of course expectations and experiences vary from person to person but when I touched it and tapped my finger nail on it, it felt more substantial than I anticipated. I feel the glossy trim will be more of a problem with dust than fingerprints because there are no touch-capacitive buttons on the glossy portion, everything is a physical "matte" finish button. So unless someones a chronic "fat-fingerer" I don't see fingerprints being too much of an issue; unless they have young kids but they should be sittin in the back anyways so shame on them. I do have one quibble with the interior during my limited seat time and that's the touch pad. As Redline noted, it does feel a little cheap. The touch pad itself does not appear to be seated tightly in whatever is holding it there so as I was tracking my finger across the pad, the entire pad would slightly shift around with my finger.

The engine is very punchy and it sounds great too. I had it in Sport mode (not Sport +) and only pushed it to maybe 70% throttle because the salesman was with me but it definitely has good pull and the shifts are surprisingly fast among the cars I have personal experience with. As someone here mentioned previously, the shifts are more noticeable than the NX but it doesn't feel like its due to lack of refinement, it feels sporty and very intentional. The shifts are not harsh at all, instead they are squishy-firm(lol?) with good engagement and it up-shifts fast. I have only driven one vehicle with a dual-clutch and that was a 2008 VW GTI and it reminded me of that car in terms of shifting speed and feel. The RDX engine note sounded throatier and more refined than the NX and was a little bit quieter under throttle also; I was very impressed with the way the engine and transmission sounded. Ride quality was very good. I'd say the NX F-Sport rides a touch firmer but I only sampled the Tech package, the A-Spec will probably feel more firm with the 20-inch wheels. I took it on the freeway and got up to 70 mph and the ride feels very composed. Wind and road noise is well controlled in the RDX and it feels slightly quieter than the NX during my test drive. The brakes felt very firm too. I feel like I had to press harder than I'm used to to come to a stop, but that's just one of those things you get used to I guess.

Acura should be extremely proud for what they have done with this redesign. I'm not even in the market for an SUV and it made me want one. I'm going to wait to see what Lexus does with the IS redesign before I make any final decisions. The new TLX should be out by then too! The paradox of choice....
Old 06-03-18, 06:31 AM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Hmm all this positivelity for RDX and negativity for the NX has helped me decide my next Car. Im going to buy a CX-5. I dont think I can get over the Acura brand. It takes a long time to build a reputable brand and to me Acura is still a joke. Maybe my next car in 4-5 yrs will be an Acura.
Old 06-03-18, 10:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Hmm all this positivelity for RDX and negativity for the NX has helped me decide my next Car. Im going to buy a CX-5. I dont think I can get over the Acura brand. It takes a long time to build a reputable brand and to me Acura is still a joke. Maybe my next car in 4-5 yrs will be an Acura.
Why is the Acura brand a joke? They build very good reliable cars and offer more for the money then most competitors. You think Mazda is a step up from Acura? Mazda is nowhere near as prestigious or respected as Acura and sales prove that, despite good reviews, many Mazda's are some of the poorest selling vehicles in their segments, especially the 6 sedan. The RDX looks to be a class leader from the reviews and test drives.
Old 06-03-18, 11:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would certainly agree that Acura is not on par with Lexus and German lux brands. And you certainly should get whatever car you want. But a "joke"? Really?
Old 06-03-18, 12:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Noble8626
I'm not even in the market for an SUV and it made me want one.
That makes two of us. For the last decade, Acura was never once on my radar because the cars they put out were such disappointments compared to the Acura I grew up loving. Somehow, this new RDX is really intriguing. A Type-S version would be fantastic.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX