Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Has Dissapointed So Far

Old 12-20-17, 04:43 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think they build a reliable product, but it shouldn't be the lounge that impresses, because customers should not be there, they should have left with loaners (I've always seen them packed with mostly seniors, but not all, but packed, never empty). It's the shop that should impress, for this is where the work is done. I've never been given a tour of a Lexus shop (have seen Porsche and BMW and they have some nice gear you wish you had at home to DIY). I used to think BMW was a little arrogant, but now I realize heck it's the car business, they are way better than my experiences at 2 Lexus dealerships. The shocking thing is job for job, many BMW services are cheaper, and you always drive away with a loaner car. This Dec. my charges were $40 incl. tax, still had a loaner.

So with Lexus, it's the car, not the dealer that will be something special, imho. When the car is 10 and has never broken, I suppose that's worth something. Just don't listen to Lexus who feels cars need another service every 5k, that's not feasible.
Old 12-20-17, 06:55 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think they build a reliable product, but it shouldn't be the lounge that impresses, because customers should not be there, they should have left with loaners (I've always seen them packed with mostly seniors, but not all, but packed, never empty). It's the shop that should impress, for this is where the work is done. I've never been given a tour of a Lexus shop (have seen Porsche and BMW and they have some nice gear you wish you had at home to DIY). I used to think BMW was a little arrogant, but now I realize heck it's the car business, they are way better than my experiences at 2 Lexus dealerships. The shocking thing is job for job, many BMW services are cheaper, and you always drive away with a loaner car. This Dec. my charges were $40 incl. tax, still had a loaner.

So with Lexus, it's the car, not the dealer that will be something special, imho. When the car is 10 and has never broken, I suppose that's worth something. Just don't listen to Lexus who feels cars need another service every 5k, that's not feasible.
Thank you - I couldn’t have said it better! The closest BMW dealer to me is downright horrific. Don’t go there if you don’t speak Spanish. It’s beyond weird. The next closest has a sterling reputation. I would buy a BMW from them. They also sell Lexus. It’s an older dealership. My selling dealer wanted to charge me $150 just to rotate the tires! I bought the road hazard warranty, but it doesn’t cover rotations. These clowns are a service joke. If it’s warranty again, I’ll go to another dealer. I change my own oil. Dear God in Heaven, why would anyone go to Jiffy Lube? They seem to show up on many nationwide BBB problem lists. Consumer Reports didn’t have much good to say either. One of the guys that works for me, worked at the local Honda dealership doing oil changes for a short time. They insisted he drain the oil, polish up the filter to look new & put fresh oil in! He quit after a week of that. Most dealers in this area are freak’n criminals. I doubt I would trade my 450h for anything anytime soon. It does everything I expected it to do & then some. I’m disappointed in service & fuel mileage, but that about it. If I suddenly had $110,000 laying around, I would be in line to drive the SC 500 & maybe the Acura NSX. Subaru has a new SUV coming out that I’m going to watch closely. I’ve always been a Subaru AWD fan.
Old 12-20-17, 06:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't understand. Just go to another dealer.
Old 12-20-17, 06:59 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't understand. Just go to another dealer.
No, you DON’T understand. It’s not like these dealers grow on trees here. They are spaced at least 100-200 miles apart.
Old 12-20-17, 07:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
No, you DON’T understand. It’s not like these dealers grow on trees here. They are spaced at least 100-200 miles apart.
Go to a different brand then? Tell us how that works out.
Old 12-20-17, 08:56 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Go to a different brand then? Tell us how that works out.
Why would I do that? I just want my car fixed the way they promised. Believe me, I had some really awful vehicles & decided to give Lexus a try. I like Lexus, but I’m not in love with Lexus. I stated I’m disappointed so far, not that I hate them & cant wait to trade. I guess this thread brought out all the fan boys & girls because I dared to say something against the beloved Lexus...
Old 12-20-17, 09:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Why would I do that? I just want my car fixed the way they promised. Believe me, I had some really awful vehicles & decided to give Lexus a try. I like Lexus, but I’m not in love with Lexus. I stated I’m disappointed so far, not that I hate them & cant wait to trade. I guess this thread brought out all the fan boys & girls because I dared to say something against the beloved Lexus...
I was just asking.
Old 12-21-17, 05:35 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I was led to believe that Lexus was far superior than competitors because of Lexus’s level of service. Ha,ha, what a line that was! So what that the dealership is designed like a resort! That doesn’t make the car better than others. The local Lexus dealers are huge, but they have no idea how their customers are being treated. They couldn’t coordinate with a local shop to have aftermarket work done 3 times!!! That’s pathetic. They called & want their loaner car back because they have it sold - REALLY? I left 3 messages for the GM to call me - I got zilch! I like the car OK, but I’m not impressed by the Lexus dealer whatsoever. I’m not sure I would choose Lexus again if I had to do it over again. The car has many flaws, none serious, that they have to keep working on, so the level of quality has slipped. This leaves me disappointed so far.
My experience with the dealerships on the north and west side of Houston has been very similar to yours especially given that at that time I had four Lexus products in my garage. When I felt that they were too complacent and unresponsive, I just moved on to other brands down the street from them with no regrets, and have not looked back. It was quite evident that the dealership management were very content and happy selling high volumes of RX's to the soccer moms.
Old 12-21-17, 10:29 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I was promised by the Lexus Master Field Tech the issue with my vibration and drone would be fixed, I just need to be patient. Year and a half later no fix, this is not a dealer issue it's Lexus. I have owned many new cars, some had issues both they were always resolved in a timely manner. I agree 100% that Lexus quality and service has dropped. This is my first high end vehicle and the most disappointing. I have stopped several folks from purchasing a new Lexus based on my experience, that's about all I can do.
Old 12-21-17, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So I was led to believe that Lexus was far superior than competitors because of Lexus’s level of service. Ha,ha, what a line that was! So what that the dealership is designed like a resort! That doesn’t make the car better than others. The local Lexus dealers are huge, but they have no idea how their customers are being treated. They couldn’t coordinate with a local shop to have aftermarket work done 3 times!!! That’s pathetic. They called & want their loaner car back because they have it sold - REALLY? I left 3 messages for the GM to call me - I got zilch! I like the car OK, but I’m not impressed by the Lexus dealer whatsoever. I’m not sure I would choose Lexus again if I had to do it over again. The car has many flaws, none serious, that they have to keep working on, so the level of quality has slipped. This leaves me disappointed so far.
Sorry to hear about that, but 'Lexus' hasn't disappointed because you're not dealing with corporate. You're dealing with a franchise dealer whether its family owned or a chain like Penske, Autonation etc..

Suggest you try a different Lexus dealership.
Old 12-21-17, 11:17 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,476 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

To be fair, sometimes it's just more practical to wait on the service to be done, especially if I can work remotely. Besides, I've never been stranded without a loaner at my dealership, even close to Thanksgiving. Thankfully, there is a pretty nice lounge area at mine, and usually someone will walk through and ask if we need anything every 15 or so minutes.

Not to mention, there has been nothing major needing fixing on my car, but even to fix minor rattles, Hendrick always offers to take the car right away and send me home with a loaner.

I'd echo what others said - just don't go to that dealership or switch brands. Sounds like you aren't married to Lexus, so why put yourself through any more pain?
Old 12-21-17, 12:42 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Not sure if this is an option for you, but I've taken all of our Lexus vehicles over the last 7 years (GX, LS 430 to start, now LX 570 and LS 460) to my local Toyota dealer because I despise my local Lexus dealer. The experience is nowhere near that of Lexus (lounge, etc) but I still get free loaner cars (albeit things like a Rav 4 or Camry), and most importantly I get great and honest service from my Advisor. Plus the labor rates are cheaper and it's the same parts.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Getting to the GM should make a difference for you (it's ridiculous after 3 attempts you haven't heard back) and they'll likely flag your account as a VIP-type if you are articulate and providing constructive negative feedback to them. Mentioning that you'll contact Lexus corporate if you don't get a response on your 4th go-round may help.
Old 12-21-17, 01:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Once you drive off the lot, the dealerships dont really care in general. Thats with any brand in general. These arent boutique vehicles, there mass produced machines. Thank god they lead in reliability. i know it sucks to be treated like **** or some random person, but with any thing in these days, you need to build repertoire and connections with the service staff. Then only can you maybe expect something. Some dealerships understand the big picture, happy customers treated well will mean repeat business and possible new leads from recommendations. Other operations who have their own reasons to why (huge dealer network, or enough traffic as is) will care less. Some will say you didnt purchase here so no loaner. Others will avoid your call. Sad reality.

In regards to Lexus as a company whose disappointed you, while i agree that its not corporate you are dealing with, the organizations are licensed to sell and work on their products, some responsibility on Lexus to make sure service is good. On the flip side Lexus dealers sometimes go above the call on certain complaints when Corp denies issues with vehicles (Read the RX vibration fix in the curren gen forums)
Old 12-21-17, 02:12 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I was promised by the Lexus Master Field Tech the issue with my vibration and drone would be fixed, I just need to be patient. Year and a half later no fix, this is not a dealer issue it's Lexus. I have owned many new cars, some had issues both they were always resolved in a timely manner. I agree 100% that Lexus quality and service has dropped. This is my first high end vehicle and the most disappointing. I have stopped several folks from purchasing a new Lexus based on my experience, that's about all I can do.
I agree with this post. My dealer treats me nice enough, have loaner when I ask, GM always says Hi when I am there. The lounge is nice, coffee, snacks, drinks always available.

The problem is with Lexus. Lexus seems to chase volume these days and their cars aren't built as they used too. Both of my 2017 NT200t and RX350 have problems. Too many problems with the NX causing me to dump it in less than a year. The RX350 is less than 2 weeks old and under 300 miles and need to bring it in for service. Enform Remote actually didn't work from day one. I thought that Lexus DOES test their vehicles, every single one, but may be I am wrong. Lexus also seems to beat around the bush when you have problems with the cars. They prey that customers will get tired and leave.
Old 12-21-17, 03:57 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
.............................. Lexus also seems to beat around the bush when you have problems with the cars. They prey that customers will get tired and leave.
Concur. And I did walk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Has Dissapointed So Far