Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 08:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well 2019 is only 1 year away now so maybe 2020 at least. And like you said, the is and gs now seem really old. Having said that i think the is350 is a wonderful DRIVING car (ironically what bmw has always been so lexus achieved something there!) but the design just isn't that strong imo. likewise the gs is a great driving car but it's just dated now in tech and value. going to be interesting to see what lexus comes up with. like others have said, i could see a 'sportback' design for gs, harkening back to the original giugaro gs300. New is and gs can't come soon enough.
The design process of the IS and GS are probably already done. I expect something like a mini LS for both of them. I am curious as to know what the new ES is gonna be like
Old 01-06-18, 08:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Audis are nice overall cars but they have never had that steering feel that some of the other sports sedans really excel in. Glad Kia has done better in that department. Hopefully BMW steps up their stuff in their next iteration as the F30 was a dud. All Lexus needs is a power train update and go on a diet. I love how good their handling feel has become.
Old 01-06-18, 08:11 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus sedans are really old. Wait till the next gen IS or GS emerges. Then we will see how good the Stinger is.
Surely you don't believe that as aggressive as the Koreans are that they will just sit on the status quo for 2 years or so. The Genesis G70 will be here soon to further pressure the IS and KIA has been testing a V-8 Stinger.
Old 01-06-18, 08:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Surely you don't believe that as aggressive as the Koreans are that they will just sit on the status quo for 2 years or so. The Genesis G70 will be here soon to further pressure the IS and KIA has been testing a V-8 Stinger.
Honestly, I really have no idea how the KIA cars and new Genesis models are gong to do. I can tell you that Genesis G80 and G90 are selling less combined in 2017 than in years prior when they were under the Hyundai name. In fact, all three of the Hyundai brands are down in 2017 by I think 13%. I don’t expect these new cars to do very much.
Old 01-06-18, 08:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Honestly, I really have no idea how the KIA cars and new Genesis models are gong to do. I can tell you that Genesis G80 and G90 are selling less combined in 2017 than in years prior when they were under the Hyundai name. In fact, all three of the Hyundai brands are down in 2017 by I think 13%. I don’t expect these new cars to do very much.
According to the year ending new ca sales thread the Genesis division sold 6,948 vehicles in 2016 and 20,596 in 2017 a three fold increase. Numbers aside, most manufacturers sedan sales are down vs. prior years. It will be interesting to see what each does to maximize the sales that are still out there.
Old 01-06-18, 08:38 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
According to the year ending new ca sales thread the Genesis division sold 6,948 vehicles in 2016 and 20,596 in 2017 a three fold increase. Numbers aside, most manufacturers sedan sales are down vs. prior years. It will be interesting to see what each does to maximize the sales that are still out there.
Pretty decent number especially considering they the volume G70 isn't here yet, or the compact and midsize SUV crossovers they have yet to unveil.
Old 01-06-18, 08:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Come on. The car was the same. They changed the name. Look at the sales for Hyundai Genesis models past vs now. It’s less units.
Old 01-06-18, 08:51 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Come on. The car was the same. They changed the name. Look at the sales for Hyundai Genesis models past vs now. It’s less units.
That also used to include the Genesis coupe which was much cheaper and didnt move over under the Genesis brand.I think once the Genesis SUVs come, it will Really propel sales.
Old 01-06-18, 09:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Those sales numbers included the Genesis coupe which sold better then the sedans and I believe the models were cheaper sold under the Hyundai then their are under Genesis. The G90 as it is now was never a Hyundai either, the Equus was very different and a generation behind. The 2 Genesis sedans are outselling their 2 Lexus competitors and have been for several months, that is very impressive for a upstart Korean luxury brand tied to Hyundai.
Old 01-06-18, 09:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I can tell you that Genesis G80 and G90 are selling less combined in 2017 than in years prior when they were under the Hyundai name.

I'm going to go out on a limb, here. I'll bet the Genesis brand will do much better after they split off from the Hyundai dealer network. After my G80 test drive ordeal, it was pretty clear that the Hyundai dealer was not really interested in selling the Genesis brand. It was like pulling teeth just to get a test drive.
Old 01-06-18, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm going to go out on a limb, here. I'll bet the Genesis brand will do much better after they split off from the Hyundai dealer network. After my G80 test drive ordeal, it was pretty clear that the Hyundai dealer was not really interested in selling the Genesis brand. It was like pulling teeth just to get a test drive.

I don't see why not. Two things. First, they already had experience selling the very same car, for several years, as the Hyundai Genesis....the only real difference, besides some trim and standard equipment, is the new G80 nameplate on the trunk lid. Second, selling a G80 is not like selling a no-markup Accent or Elantra.......a G80 (or G90), depending on how much they will discount it, can make the dealership some significant profit.
Old 01-06-18, 09:24 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I don’t expect these new cars to do very much.
+1. I dont even see its similar FWD sibling rolling around, the kia cadenza.

BTW, anyone how did the stinger get to become the north american car of the year finalist, while the other finalists are the accord and camry?
Old 01-06-18, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
+1. I dont even see its similar FWD sibling rolling around, the kia cadenza.

BTW, anyone how did the stinger get to become the north american car of the year finalist, while the other finalists are the accord and camry?

Most organizations, including MT, give their COTY award to the vehicles they think will make the most significant impact or contribution to the state of the auto market/auto industry. The Stinger, if nothing else, is the first serious Korean entry into the world of RWD/AWD sports-sedans (though, technically, it is a hatchback, not a sedan).

Personally, I would agree with the award myself, although the Hyundai Ioniq/Kia Niro (essentially the same car) may also be a contender as the first serious competitor to the Toyota Prius. The upcoming Opel-based Buick Regal Tour-X wagon also probably deserves some consideration as the first American-badged competitor, in quite some time, to the long-established Subaru Outback....the former Ford Freestyle was actually in a larger (full-size) class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-18 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 09:30 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see why not. Two things. First, they already had experience selling the very same car, for several years, as the Hyundai Genesis....the only real difference, besides some trim and standard equipment, is the new G80 nameplate on the trunk lid. Second, selling a G80 is not like selling a no-markup Accent or Elantra.......a G80 (or G90), depending on how much they will discount it, can make the dealership some significant profit.
I'm guessing they're "butt-hurt" that they weren't selected as getting a Genesis branded dealer.
Old 01-06-18, 10:20 AM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is probably old hat to you folks (5 months old article), but Hyundai has a long way to go with respect to "brand image"; a point I made earlier on this thread.
https://artofgears.com/2017/07/14/hy...-off-uk-sales/

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger