Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Old 12-30-17, 10:14 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think Lexus prestige was based on Luxury and Reliability. In past decade both of those attributes have lost some luster.
Audi really has supplented Lexus as the 3rd mainstream Luxury brand in US in terms of prestige.

Stinger may be a good car but the Kia badge will be a deal breaker for many ppl that want entry level luxury with a badge.
It will get sales from enthusiasts that are now driving Q50, IS350 and younger folks who have had Hyundai/Kias and want to stay with the brand.

If it was under the Genesis brand - i think it would do better.
I never understood the meaning of "if it was under the Genesis badge."

With the Genesis G70 compact coming out soon that would be a terrible idea. Also Kia and Genesis consider themselves direct competitors. Also if you don' like the Kia badge, remove it.

Many people badge delete their MBs and BMWs and there are 2 different badges you can get if you are such a badge person.

Old 12-30-17, 10:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
With the Genesis G70 compact coming out soon that would be a terrible idea. Also Kia and Genesis consider themselves direct competitors.
No, that would be more Kia and Hyundai, which is still kind of silly. Kind of like Buick and Chevy.
Old 12-30-17, 11:27 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I never understood the meaning of "if it was under the Genesis badge."

With the Genesis G70 compact coming out soon that would be a terrible idea. Also Kia and Genesis consider themselves direct competitors. Also if you don' like the Kia badge, remove it.

Many people badge delete their MBs and BMWs and there are 2 different badges you can get if you are such a badge person.

Badges sell - whether it be Gucci, Apple, Ferrari etc.

A RWD performance KIA has a difficult road no matter how good this Stinger is and that is fact. Your avarage consumer shopping for MB, BMW or Audi would never consider it.
Hopefully it has some success but the Kia history of budget Korean is hard to overcome to now selling $50k sport sedans.
Old 12-30-17, 12:19 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
No, that would be more Kia and Hyundai, which is still kind of silly. Kind of like Buick and Chevy.
Specifically referring to the Stinger/K900 vs G70/G80/G90.

Hyundai only owns a significant share of Kia. They operate differently. Not similar to Buick and Chevy nor Toyota and Lexus.
Old 12-30-17, 12:24 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Badges sell - whether it be Gucci, Apple, Ferrari etc.

A RWD performance KIA has a difficult road no matter how good this Stinger is and that is fact. Your avarage consumer shopping for MB, BMW or Audi would never consider it.
Hopefully it has some success but the Kia history of budget Korean is hard to overcome to now selling $50k sport sedans.
Yea but the product also gives the badge worth. I don't expect the Stinger to sell in significant numbers. I don' expect it to touch 3-series sales. But I do expect the Stinger to carve out a decent sales chunk for itself rather than fail like many believe. People keep talking about past image well the young folks don't know much about Kias dark past, only things like the Optima Soul and those hip hampsters.
Old 12-30-17, 12:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yea but the product also gives the badge worth. I don't expect the Stinger to sell in significant numbers. I don' expect it to touch 3-series sales. But I do expect the Stinger to carve out a decent sales chunk for itself rather than fail like many believe. People keep talking about past image well the young folks don't know much about Kias dark past, only things like the Optima Soul and those hip hampsters.
How well has the K900 or the Kia Boreggo done? This Kia will flop. The Genesis version I am not sure about
Old 12-30-17, 01:34 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How well has the K900 or the Kia Boreggo done? This Kia will flop. The Genesis version I am not sure about
About as well as they could for a plainly styled land yacht based on an outdated platform and a midsize Body on Frame SUV introduced at the end of an era. The K900 did it's job in testing the waters for future high end Kias and the crossover Sorento sells leaps and bounds more than the Borreggo despite being priced substantially higher.

In this era people are being sold off of comfort, technology and sporty looks whether the car is truly sporty or not. The Stinger has all 3 down pack.
Old 12-30-17, 02:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Unlike the K900 or Borrego, the Stinger has an unprecedented amount of recommendations and accolades from practically every automotive journalist who has reviewed it. As such, I seriously doubt it will flop and Kia aimed exactly at a buyer like me and succeeded.

As for the G70, I so wanted to get into one until it got unveiled. Styling is bland to me which is why I never considered it. I can't get over the derivative sedan styling taken heavily from the TLX/IS, and from their own products, the Hyundai Accent at the rear!

Old 12-30-17, 03:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I hadn't seen a picture of the G70. Very nice! IMO both the Stinger and G70 will do well for their respective brands. The only thing that will restrict sales is the current trend toward CUV's and SUV's. No sedans are really setting the world on fire but the brands still need them.
Old 12-30-17, 03:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hah the Kia Borrego?! That SUVs problem was that it came out in the Recession of 2008, and subsequently dropped from the US market the next year (the Kia Sorrento took it's place). It did offer an optional powerful 4.6L 'Tau' V8. That SUV still lives outside the US as the Kia Mohave in some markets.
Old 12-30-17, 03:33 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I hadn't seen a picture of the G70. Very nice! IMO both the Stinger and G70 will do well for their respective brands.
^^ I agree, looks great! I just hope they don't expect over $60k for it.
Old 12-30-17, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Hah the Kia Borrego?! That SUVs problem was that it came out in the Recession of 2008, and subsequently dropped from the US market the next year (the Kia Sorrento took it's place). It did offer an optional powerful 4.6L 'Tau' V8. That SUV still lives outside the US as the Kia Mohave in some markets.
The Borrego, being body-on-frame, probably wouldn't go over well in today's American-market crossover-SUV climate (in fact, as you note, it was replaced by the Sorento). But I liked it.....it was solidly-built, competent, and durable, though certainly not as comfortable as the easy-riding Sorento.

Back to the Stinger....have you had a chance to test-drive one yet? I've done the static review....I'll do a test-drive as soon as more of them become available, maybe next week.
Old 12-30-17, 03:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back to the Stinger....have you had a chance to test-drive one yet? I've done the static review....I'll do a test-drive as soon as more of them become available, maybe next week.
I have. Compliant yet lightly firm ride similar to a GS is what it reminded me of. One negative is slight lag on take off though I didn't really push it and another is the low seating position (despite highest seat cushion position).

What surprised me the most is how smooth the engine was and how quiet the drive was. Arguably more refined than the 2GR-FSE in the IS/GS, etc. Low noise means great highway cruising, but not so good in regards to engine/exhaust note as it is too muted for this type of car. However, nothing an aftermarket exhaust can't fix though
Old 12-30-17, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Borrego, being body-on-frame, probably wouldn't go over well in today's American-market crossover-SUV climate (in fact, as you note, it was replaced by the Sorento). k.
Yet Toyota can still pull it off in the mid size segment.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And who would of thought the Toyota 4Runner which dropped the optional V8 is selling at an all time record pace for Toyota right now. (even though the Highlander cross competes at the same dollar) I was not award that the model still lives on outside the USA.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-30-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-30-17, 03:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Unlike the K900 or Borrego, the Stinger has an unprecedented amount of recommendations and accolades from practically every automotive journalist who has reviewed it.
No doubt the auto press love it, but auto press accolades don't always correspond with buyer success....Cadillac comes to mind.

I will no doubt be more than surprised if KIA succeeds. Interesting to see the base US price is $7K less than an IS while the Canadian model has no base model and you have a $4K price premium vs the CAN IS model. We shall see how it goes. You are going to also have to put premium fuel in the KIA ( Lexus as well) but turbo models from Honda just need regular.

Something else that is interesting is that this new KIA does not have superior fuel economy compared to a Lexus IS, the Lexus is superior. where as the KIA also included stop and go (Just looking at the base models) Not sure about the V6 models.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-30-17 at 04:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger