Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Old 12-30-17, 07:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
For those who would like a 4 series grand coupe, worried about reliability and disappointed with Lexus performance the Stinger scores a bulls eye. Of course there will always be class differentiation, but the Stinger convincingly compensates by being is faster than the LC.
I don’t see how it makes any sense to compare to a LC. The LC is a stunner of a car. Stinger, not really.
Old 12-30-17, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t see how it makes any sense to compare to a LC. The LC is a stunner of a car. Stinger, not really.

I can't compare the Stinger to an LC because I haven't (yet) seen an LC, but I can compare it to the less-expensive RC, which I have seen. The Lexus may be more reliable in the long run, but, IMO, the Stinger feels significantly more solidly-built, with more substantial materials inside and out. It also, of course, beats the Lexus warranty by a significant margin.
Old 12-30-17, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't compare the Stinger to an LC because I haven't (yet) seen an LC, but I can compare it to the less-expensive RC, which I have seen. The Lexus may be more reliable in the long run, but, IMO, the Stinger feels significantly more solidly-built, with more substantial materials inside and out. It also, of course, beats the Lexus warranty by a significant margin.
Not in prestige.
Old 12-30-17, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not in prestige.

Fine. I grant you, a Kia oval on the hood won't compete in prestige with the Lexus "L". But that's our jobs, as auto enthusiasts, to actually look under the skin, and not be smitten by badges. That's why, even though I liked Buicks when I was in college, I waited 40 years to actually buy a new one. The quality tanked, and stayed low for decades. And it was the same way with Kia in the 80s and 90s.
Old 12-30-17, 08:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Fine. I grant you, a Kia oval on the hood won't compete in prestige with the Lexus "L". But that's our jobs, as auto enthusiasts, to actually look under the skin, and not be smitten by badges. That's why, even though I liked Buicks when I was in college, I waited 40 years to actually buy a new one. The quality tanked, and stayed low for decades. And it was the same way with Kia in the 80s and 90s.
Prestige is what it is all about. Someone spending money would likely just spend it on the Genesis version. But we shall see if Genesis can command the prices of a Lexus or BMW or MB. Lexus does in some cases. But Genesis does not, and Buick certainly does not either.
Old 12-30-17, 08:40 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Prestige is what it is all about. Someone spending money would likely just spend it on the Genesis version. But we shall see if Genesis can command the prices of a Lexus or BMW or MB. Lexus does in some cases. But Genesis does not, and Buick certainly does not either.
Prestige is certainly not what it is about! Compare a Stinger GT to a RC350 F Sport with any group of car enthusiasts. The RC is more than a second slower to 60, has a plastic interior rather than leather, a tiny trunk, an unusable rear seat, and costs about $10,000 more. Where is the prestige?
Old 12-30-17, 08:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Prestige is certainly not what it is about! Compare a Stinger GT to a RC350 F Sport with any group of car enthusiasts. The RC is more than a second slower to 60, has a plastic interior rather than leather, a tiny trunk, an unusable rear seat, and costs about $10,000 more. Where is the prestige?
The prestige is in the badge. Nothing to do with then 0-60 times.And what kind of person compares a 4 door car to a two door car and complains about a rear seat or trunk. That is one of the strangest things I haves heard.
Old 12-30-17, 09:02 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
It's in the "L" on the grill.

I think/hope Genesis will bring some credibility to the Korean sub brands. The competition will be good for us consumers. They seem to be making strides in that direction.
Old 12-30-17, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
It's in the "L" on the grill.
But that's our jobs, as auto enthusiasts, to actually look under the skin, and not be smitten by badges.
I didn't post that statement for nothing.

Yes, I know that there is sometimes prestige in badges, but one cannot always simply go by that. Note, for instance, the sharp drop-off in Mercedes quality (G-Wagon excepted) throughout the later 1990s and early 2000s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-30-17, 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Not in prestige.
Not so much. I think lexus has lost a lot of prestige in recent years. Every time i see an nx i think it looks as cheap or worse than a rav 4. The ct was cheap and terrible. The rx has traded elegance for funky look at me looks on a laughably short wheelbase with massive overhangs and front grill. the gs, is and rc just aren't all that, and the new ls will be nice and unique but no threat to the german flagships.I see lexus as maybe just a bit above acura and infiniti in reputation.The stinger probably won't sell in big numbers and isn't a luxury car, but it's a great offering for what it is... a poor man's s5 sportback.
Old 12-30-17, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The stinger probably won't sell in big numbers and isn't a luxury car, but it's a great offering for what it is... a poor man's s5 sportback.
Actually, bit, the top-line GT2 version is not necessarily a "Poor Man's" anything. It starts at 50K....without options.
Old 12-30-17, 09:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Actually, bit, the top-line GT2 version is not necessarily a "Poor Man's" anything. It starts at 50K....without options.
It still could be considered a poor mans S5 as they start at $55k for Premium Plus and $59k for Prestige trim and go up quickly from there.
Old 12-30-17, 09:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I think Lexus prestige was based on Luxury and Reliability. In past decade both of those attributes have lost some luster.
Audi really has supplented Lexus as the 3rd mainstream Luxury brand in US in terms of prestige.

Stinger may be a good car but the Kia badge will be a deal breaker for many ppl that want entry level luxury with a badge.
It will get sales from enthusiasts that are now driving Q50, IS350 and younger folks who have had Hyundai/Kias and want to stay with the brand.

If it was under the Genesis brand - i think it would do better.
Old 12-30-17, 09:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

U.S. News ranks the Stinger #2 in a segment they call Luxury Small Cars right behind the Audi A5. For each car they show the sources they used.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ale-small-cars
Old 12-30-17, 10:08 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is the Stinger GT that is the top line version. GT2 refers to the top spec GT fully loaded with every active safety technology available as well as nappa leather and other luxury features.

The Stinger GT starts at $39k but comes with more standard features as compared to the S5 Sportback.

Also I believe the RC is being compared because it somewhat falls into the category of the S5 and 440i but then again those offer fastback 4 door alternatives that better match up to the body style of the Stinger GT. The awkward thing is that the Stinger is pretty much the size of the GS(longer wheelbase, similar interior space).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger