Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini unveils new, stripped down logo

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 02:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mini unveils new, stripped down logo

Quirky British marque Mini is going with a ... less-than-quirky logo redesign, unveiling a "flat design" that it says is intended to focus on the essentials. It replaces the three-dimensional white-on-black logo that first appeared in 2000.

Gone are the three-dimensional style, shading, gray tones and gray-on-black name of the previous version in favor of a stark contrast of black lines and the all-caps Mini name against a white background. It keeps the wings, which first featured on the iconic cars in the early 1960s, according to the Logos History blog, which has a comprehensive collection of logos stretching back to the brand's origins in 1959 under the British Motor Corp. and the Austin and Morris brand names. It also bears a visual similarity to the logo introduced during the mid-'90s. We're not saying the new logo was designed on an old PC using MS Paint, but it looks like it could've been.

Parent BMW Group says the new logo combines stylistic elements from the early phases of the classic Mini "with a future-oriented appearance that focuses on the essentials" and a two-dimensional look "allowing universal application." (Meaning, cheaper to produce?) It'll appear on all new Mini models starting in March on the bonnet, the rear, at the center of the steering wheel and on the remote control.
Source
Old 12-13-17, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Ugh. IMO it demeans the nameplate. Buick made the same error when they traded the nice tri-color shield for the Skyhawk bird-wings symbol back in the 1970s, the chrome-outline shield a couple of decades later, and Cadillac when they traded their nice wreath-and crest for a single crest without the little ducks, and just multicolored blobs.
Old 12-13-17, 10:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't see it as an improvement. It's plain and lacking.
Old 12-14-17, 01:05 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That looks rather dull. Of course maybe its part of their plan to kind of declutter/streamline the look of the cars. The new era Minis have always been very busy visually, lots of stuff going on, stripes, lots of body line cuts, scoops, chrome doo-dads and what not.

Of course from what I read about the quality, reliablity and durability of the new-era Minis, maybe this logo is more representative and should be used again.

Old 12-14-17, 01:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This was really first launched a few years ago, but the cars kept the 3D style https://www.dezeen.com/2015/06/24/mi...nomy-drivenow/

I think this is fine.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ugh. IMO it demeans the nameplate. Buick made the same error when they traded the nice tri-color shield for the Skyhawk bird-wings symbol back in the 1970s, the chrome-outline shield a couple of decades later, and Cadillac when they traded their nice wreath-and crest for a single crest without the little ducks, and just multicolored blobs.
I think Cadillac actually did a great job of modernizing its logo. Retains the crest and colors. Didn't need to wreath or the ducks.

Of course it's great if a brand can continue with a core logo over the long term, but I can see the need when brands are trying to re-shape how they're viewed and trying to shed old images/stigmas.

Last edited by pbm317; 12-14-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-14-17, 09:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think Cadillac actually did a great job of modernizing its logo. Retains the crest and colors. Didn't need to wreath or the ducks.
I don't quite see how that "modernizes" Cadillac's logo, but, if you think it looks better, I'll respect your opinion.

Of course it's great if a brand can continue with a core logo over the long term, but I can see the need when brands are trying to re-shape how they're viewed and trying to shed old images/stigmas.
As see it, part of a brand's image is pride in its own logo...and not necessarily bowing to every whim to change it. Buick, for instance, shed the old tri-color in the American market for a blank, chrome-outline one.....and, just recently, shifted back to the old tri-color again because customers demanded it. Changing the old logo was a mistake.....though the brand did prosper the last several years, even in spite of it.
Old 12-15-17, 05:41 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a more vintage look. There was nothing wrong with their current logo.

It seems like Mini hasn't been catching on with younger generations.
Old 12-15-17, 06:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Not bad. Manufacturers are always making their logos more contemporary. I liked the current one, but this one will blend in quickly. The Mini brand sales seem to have stagnated recently.
Old 12-15-17, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Not bad. Manufacturers are always making their logos more contemporary. I liked the current one, but this one will blend in quickly. The Mini brand sales seem to have stagnated recently.
Mini, in the U.S. has gotten at least some competition lately from the Fiat 500....and the 500 Abarth versions compete with the Cooper S and John Works models.
Old 12-15-17, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i like it. like ios, no more skeumorphic.
Old 12-15-17, 10:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mini, in the U.S. has gotten at least some competition lately from the Fiat 500....and the 500 Abarth versions compete with the Cooper S and John Works models.
Those things are WAY cheaper than comparably equipped Mini models. I remember a friend almost bought a Fiat 500 Abarth back in late 2014, mabye 2015 or so. Dealer was practically giving them away, said it would have been around $20,000 out the door for that car. He ended up in a Civic Si which was like $4000-5000 more though.