Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New truck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 10:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New truck!!!!

Well, its new to me. Picked this up about 4-5 days ago, already put 350 miles on it lol.

Its a 2011 Toyota Tundra, 4wd, 4.6 V8(I wanted the bigger V8, but at this price it was too good a deal). Not a lot of options, sorry no interior pics, bench seat, column shift, carpet, cloth seats(really nice cloth IMO), all the power options, 4wd, bluetooth on the radio and phone.

Anyways, it has 56,000 miles on it, low miles for a 7 year old truck. Its pretty damn immaculate IMO, maybe one door ding on the driver's side, the blue paint looks amazing IMO, its a great color with a lot of depth and kind of color shifts depending on the light. Only thing I don't like are those damn mud terrain tires on it, they look the business with the stock 18" steelies, but man they sing like 40 black ladies in a church choir going down the road at 70mph. I have a line on some take off stock tires/wheels from a new truck for pretty cheap, tires have like 100 miles on them.
Old 05-15-18, 12:17 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats. It’s handsome, and I like the blue exterior. Looks similar to Lexus Deep Sea Mica.
Old 05-15-18, 06:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Congrats... it will last so long you'll have to put it in your will.
Old 05-15-18, 06:53 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Nice man I have truck envy lol
Old 05-15-18, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Congratulations. Enjoy it.

4.6 V8 (I wanted the bigger V8, but at this price it was too good a deal).
Forget it. Unless you tow really heavy stuff, you probably won't need the I-Force 5.7L, Besides, the 4.6L has a reputation for smoothness and refinement.....it was, in fact, Lexus-derived.

Is the 4WD the newer electronic system, with the center differential, that you can turn on and off with a button and not be concerned with what kind of surface you are on, or the older part-time system, with the manual-shift transfer case, that locks up all four wheels at the same speed and cannot be used on dry pavement because of binding? That's something that is very important to know on a day-to-day basis.
Old 05-15-18, 07:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Great looking truck. Congratulations!
Old 05-15-18, 10:07 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats man. just installed clazzio seat covers this past weekend in our truck. great mod to look into if you want to preserve the current seats and update the interior a bit
Old 05-15-18, 10:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Congrats, enjoy your ride
Old 05-15-18, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Congrats! Those are some knobby tires!
Old 05-15-18, 07:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. Enjoy it.

Forget it. Unless you tow really heavy stuff, you probably won't need the I-Force 5.7L, Besides, the 4.6L has a reputation for smoothness and refinement.....it was, in fact, Lexus-derived.

Is the 4WD the newer electronic system, with the center differential, that you can turn on and off with a button and not be concerned with what kind of surface you are on, or the older part-time system, with the manual-shift transfer case, that locks up all four wheels at the same speed and cannot be used on dry pavement because of binding? That's something that is very important to know on a day-to-day basis.
I'd bet it's a part-time 4WD. Almost all pickups are, even to this day. AWD is not common in this segment, outside of GMC's Denali trimmed half-tons(and I'm not sure if they still offer that on the Denali). For what a pickup is used for, part-time 4WD is superior to a full-time AWD. The system isn't there to help you drive around on the highway, it's to help you get through mud and rougher terrain. Most AWD systems don't have selectable gears, it's a single ratio. Truck's typically benefit from having a low range in addition to the normal gear ratio in their transfer case. It's great for getting large loads moving or for tugging tree stumps. I've used 4-LO quite frequently in my off-roading.

For harsh weather, 4WD will typically get you through just fine. The road is usually slippery enough that you can run it in 4WD without harming the drivetrain. If the road's dry enough that this would be a concern....why would you need to be in 4WD to begin with? In rain I usually get around fine in 2WD.

Just driving around day to day, I'm glad I don't have a full-time system. Why waste even more fuel?
Old 05-15-18, 07:36 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Also, if you plan to do any offroading, a good set of All Terrain tires would be a good compromise between those MTs and a highway tire.

I'm running General Grabber AT2's on my truck(the dealer had installed them when they took it in on trade), and they've been pretty good off-road, and they have a nice look to them. I do think they hurt my MPG a little though, but that's also because these tires are the heavier 10-ply tires which is overkill on a half-ton. My next set will probably not be that thick.
Old 05-15-18, 10:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'd bet it's a part-time 4WD. Almost all pickups are, even to this day. AWD is not common in this segment, outside of GMC's Denali trimmed half-tons(and I'm not sure if they still offer that on the Denali). For what a pickup is used for, part-time 4WD is superior to a full-time AWD. The system isn't there to help you drive around on the highway, it's to help you get through mud and rougher terrain. Most AWD systems don't have selectable gears, it's a single ratio. Truck's typically benefit from having a low range in addition to the normal gear ratio in their transfer case. It's great for getting large loads moving or for tugging tree stumps. I've used 4-LO quite frequently in my off-roading.

For harsh weather, 4WD will typically get you through just fine. The road is usually slippery enough that you can run it in 4WD without harming the drivetrain. If the road's dry enough that this would be a concern....why would you need to be in 4WD to begin with? In rain I usually get around fine in 2WD.

Just driving around day to day, I'm glad I don't have a full-time system. Why waste even more fuel?

Yeah its part time 4wd, it has a **** on the dash, 2wd, 4HI, and 4LO. Interesting thing though is the truck does have a lot of electronic aids. It has an electronic limited slip rear diff, ie its an open rear diff that when it senses one wheel spinning, it can brake that wheel and send power to the other wheel with traction. If you are in 4wd, there is the ATRAC system, which can brake any wheel that is spinning and send power to the other wheels that have grip. Locking diffs are not an option in the Tundra, they have the electronic system instead. Its pretty similar/same system as used in the current 200 series Land Cruiser. This thing of course has ABS and stability control, along with trailer sway control. No idea how exactly all these systems work, but that is the general gist of it from what I've read in the owners manual and on the Tundra forum.

And I'm glad you mentioned the benefit of not having a full time 4wd system, it wastes more gas. As much as I love the 200 series Land Cruiser(LX570) and Toyota Prado(GX460), the only way to buy them in the USA is with the big engines and full time 4wd system. Therefore fuel economy is abysmal, even compared to much larger Suburban.

I wasn't even looking for a 4wd truck, this just happened to have it, and it was a great deal. Figured if I want to sell it down the road, it would be a lot easier. Also found a set of Bridgestone Dueler highway tires for $300. Taken off a 2017 or 2018 Tundra at the dealer who put aftermarket wheels/tires on it, set has like 5 miles on them, there are still the little rubber nubs on the tread. $300, super score there.
Old 05-16-18, 11:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
And I'm glad you mentioned the benefit of not having a full time 4wd system, it wastes more gas. As much as I love the 200 series Land Cruiser(LX570) and Toyota Prado(GX460), the only way to buy them in the USA is with the big engines and full time 4wd system. Therefore fuel economy is abysmal, even compared to much larger Suburban..
We have fulltime 4WD on both our SUVs. I like the idea of full time 4WD however driving it all the time does get a bit taxing, especially if you drive it every day which I rarely do as the gas costs are too high to do that, we have the 4.5I6 and a 4.7V8. Toyota gears the 5.7 Tundra 4X4 and the Land Cruiser 5.7 differently so the MPG get off-set so they are pretty much the same MPG. Same with Sequoia. But you are right, compared to the Suburban, there is no comparison.
Old 05-16-18, 12:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well, its new to me. Picked this up about 4-5 days ago, already put 350 miles on it lol.

Its a 2011 Toyota Tundra, 4wd, 4.6 V8(I wanted the bigger V8, but at this price it was too good a deal). Not a lot of options, sorry no interior pics, bench seat, column shift, carpet, cloth seats(really nice cloth IMO), all the power options, 4wd, bluetooth on the radio and phone.

Anyways, it has 56,000 miles on it, low miles for a 7 year old truck. Its pretty damn immaculate IMO, maybe one door ding on the driver's side, the blue paint looks amazing IMO, its a great color with a lot of depth and kind of color shifts depending on the light. Only thing I don't like are those damn mud terrain tires on it, they look the business with the stock 18" steelies, but man they sing like 40 black ladies in a church choir going down the road at 70mph. I have a line on some take off stock tires/wheels from a new truck for pretty cheap, tires have like 100 miles on them.
Congrats on your truck. Always nice to have a nice clean vehicle with low miles. Great color as well!
Old 05-16-18, 12:51 PM
rk1zle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats mate, lmk if you ever want to sell it :P

Quick Reply: New truck!!!!