Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 05:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the trucks are durable, but they don't handle and steer like the Crown Vics. And their higher stance and center-of-gravity compromises stability in sharp cornering.....important in higher-speed pursuits.

Automotive history is full of mistakes where certain products were dropped that shouldn't have been. Ford could have at least kept it as a special-order only vehicle for the Police/Taxi/Limo market....they would still have plenty of business today.
Yes I see what you're saying but isn't that an antiquated view of the policing world? Who are you hanging out with? Most police by now use helos, cell phone tech to track anybody that they're looking at. It's very rare to chase anybody. What do you need all of that for, other than to crash into innocent people in a high speed chase. In fact, as Jill says, these are mostly banned because police are routinely sued if they're found in the wrong.

The modern police vehicle is just a tool, and a mobile office. IMO, it's certainly not a Starsky and Hutch wheel spinning, tail hanging show piece. There is a certain requirement where such vehicles are needed. For eg. CHP or freeway/highway policing. But that's all traffic stuff and you're just talking about Dodge Chargers, Ford Explorers etc. No need to keep an aging platform around.

Taxis? Toyota Camry Hybrid/Prius.
Old 12-10-17, 06:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't want to side-track the thread too much, but, IMO, that just sounds like feel-good legislation that may look good on paper, but, in fact, plays right into the hands of criminals and ties the hand of police. That's exactly what criminals want....the knowledge that they can successfully use their vehicles as getaway machines, and the cops won't chase them.
I am not a cop. Nor am I am criminal. So I would not know. I do know that there are police helicopters (aside from Toronto) that track. Some highways in the GTA are aircraft patrolled for dangerous driving and speeding. You also lose your license, car, and receive a 10K fine for exceeding 30mph above the speed limit.
Old 12-10-17, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yes I see what you're saying but isn't that an antiquated view of the policing world? Who are you hanging out with? Most police by now use helos, cell phone tech to track anybody that they're looking at. It's very rare to chase anybody. What do you need all of that for, other than to crash into innocent people in a high speed chase. In fact, as Jill says, these are mostly banned because police are routinely sued if they're found in the wrong.

The modern police vehicle is just a tool, and a mobile office. IMO, it's certainly not a Starsky and Hutch wheel spinning, tail hanging show piece. There is a certain requirement where such vehicles are needed. For eg. CHP or freeway/highway policing. But that's all traffic stuff and you're just talking about Dodge Chargers, Ford Explorers etc. No need to keep an aging platform around.

Taxis? Toyota Camry Hybrid/Prius.
well said. Agreed. I will also add almost all Hwy areas in the GTA is now filmed and on camera. It's filmed where police can zoom In and monitor. Some areas of Toronto and Hamilton have major intersections filmed for safety purposes as well. It's a different world now.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-10-17 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I am a licensed pilot myself....though type-rated for fixed-wing aircraft and not helicopters, I know some of the the benefits helicopters can provide. They can track (under the right circumstances), but do little else.....and then, only when the weather is good and they can actually see the ground. Sometimes a speeding car can be tracked by an aircraft, even under blind conditions, by radar or infra-red devices, but even then, only under ideal circumstances, without echo-interference.

No need to keep an aging platform around.
I'm not necessarily the one who liked the Crown Vic platform. It was a favorite of the police and taxi drivers (and, in the Lincoln Town Car, for the limo-firms). They were the ones who liked it...and were ticked off when Ford dropped them.
Old 12-10-17, 06:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I am a licensed pilot myself....though type-rated for fixed-wing aircraft and not helicopters, I know some of the the benefits helicopters can provide. They can track (under the right circumstances), but do little else.....and then, only when the weather is good and they can actually see the ground. Sometimes a speeding car can be tracked by an aircraft, even under blind conditions, by radar or infra-red devices, but even then, only under ideal circumstances, without echo
No idea how it works for York Police. I am not a police officer. I just know there are signs and I have read stories in the news.
Old 12-10-17, 06:30 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I am a licensed pilot myself....though type-rated for fixed-wing aircraft and not helicopters, I know some of the the benefits helicopters can provide. They can track (under the right circumstances), but do little else.....and then, only when the weather is good and they can actually see the ground. Sometimes a speeding car can be tracked by an aircraft, even under blind conditions, by radar or infra-red devices, but even then, only under ideal circumstances, without echo-interference.

I'm not necessarily the one who liked the Crown Vic platform. It was a favorite of the police and taxi drivers (and, in the Lincoln Town Car, for the limo-firms). They were the ones who liked it...and were ticked off when Ford dropped them.
I understand all of that, but we live in a world where every dad, mom, kid and probably by now Labrador Retriever has their own Facebook page and a smartphone cam. Every smartphone has a cell site and unless you're a super smart criminal, there is very little you're doing that the authorities don't know about. If some idiot stole a F150 yesterday, chances are he's using it to commit a crime today. But the problem is that he's so jacked up on something, he'll crash it somewhere or catch the attention of a cop with a licence plate scanner. It's all balanced out in the end.
Old 12-10-17, 06:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I understand all of that, but we live in a world where every dad, mom, kid and probably by now Labrador Retriever has their own Facebook page and a smartphone cam. Every smartphone has a cell site and unless you're a super smart criminal, there is very little you're doing that the authorities don't know about. If some idiot stole a F150 yesterday, chances are he's using it to commit a crime today. But the problem is that he's so jacked up on something, he'll crash it somewhere or catch the attention of a cop with a licence plate scanner. It's all balanced out in the end.
Well said. A few years ago, two people killed a man and stole his Dodge. They burned his body in an animal incinerator. The prime suspect used a fake phone. Police did an emergency request through Rogers communication. They discovered that the burner phone, victim phone, and two other phones were all pinging together wherever they went. They found the two suspects. Lots of video followed. Now these two are also on trial in Toronto and they discovered their phones where pinging along side an alleged victims phone who was also killed.

In the digital world. We all leave a "footprint" whether we try to deny it.
Old 12-10-17, 07:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

^^^This is the thing. The old style Crown Vic, Chevy Impala car chases are like black and white movies about Keystone Cops. You might as well be watching Dan Ackroyd, Eddie Murphy stuff. It's only a rare event. We have been conditioned to expect a movie magic outcome about fast cars and the legends behind them. The Crown Vic is relegated to history.
Old 12-11-17, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

There certainly are still police chases every day in this country. But, a professional can be trained to drive anything, and a Body on Frame Crown Vic was hardly a handling machine.
Old 12-11-17, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
a Body on Frame Crown Vic was hardly a handling machine.

True....it was no Miata, but still superior to high-stance SUVs which can be a lot more tipsy.
Old 12-11-17, 08:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

True....it was no Miata, but still superior to high-stance SUVs which can be a lot more tipsy.
Miata? Anyways, you are right. A crown Vic should be in theory superior to a large top high SUV. Issue woth the Crown Vic is that is a very old vehicle. That is where it really gets hurt. A modern day OPP Tahoe likely would outperform a 1980s designed Ford.
Old 12-11-17, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

let's go there... 'handling' and ride quality is about many things... and yes, center of gravity is one of them, but older cars tended to have a lot more body roll than new ones because the suspensions were either very stiff with 'good handling' or very soft with 'lousy handling' but today there's less trade-offs with massive improvements in shocks, sway/roll bars, wishbones, etc. and especially electronically adjustable and dynamic suspensions today. plus, even if a car has incredible handling (flat cornering, grip, etc.), is it something that's actually useful? for example, a large sedan (oh right, the subject of this thread ) OR an suv, isn't great in practice using 'great handling' because if you carry ANYTHING in the vehicle that's not tied down it's going to be flying all over. then there's the PEOPLE inside. most sedans and suvs don't have strong side bolstering so people tend to be thrown around too. but about "high stance SUVs" (aren't they all?) "can be a lot more tipsy", gone are the days of suzuki samurai's and suv's with lousy suspensions... they all handle great and comfortably, with minimal body roll in corners in normal driving, and most likely handle FAR better than the ANCIENT crown vic!
Old 12-11-17, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
let's go there... 'handling' and ride quality is about many things... and yes, center of gravity is one of them, but older cars tended to have a lot more body roll than new ones because the suspensions were either very stiff with 'good handling' or very soft with 'lousy handling' but today there's less trade-offs with massive improvements in shocks, sway/roll bars, wishbones, etc. and especially electronically adjustable and dynamic suspensions today. plus, even if a car has incredible handling (flat cornering, grip, etc.), is it something that's actually useful? for example, a large sedan (oh right, the subject of this thread ) OR an suv, isn't great in practice using 'great handling' because if you carry ANYTHING in the vehicle that's not tied down it's going to be flying all over. then there's the PEOPLE inside. most sedans and suvs don't have strong side bolstering so people tend to be thrown around too. but about "high stance SUVs" (aren't they all?) "can be a lot more tipsy", gone are the days of suzuki samurai's and suv's with lousy suspensions... they all handle great and comfortably, with minimal body roll in corners in normal driving, and most likely handle FAR better than the ANCIENT crown vic!
I get what you are saying. But a large car is gonna handle at the extreme for a test/load or whatever measurable it might be compared to a large SUV. I am sure there are a few exceptions.
Old 12-11-17, 11:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

who drives a large sedan or an suv at the extreme unless you're in the movie ronin (awesome s8 chase )?
Old 12-11-17, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
who drives a large sedan or an suv at the extreme unless you're in the movie ronin (awesome s8 chase )?
I see what you mean. I thought we were talking about cars vs a SUV in a police chase lol. (Off topic right?)

But yes, for everyday use. CUVs are a bit better than body on frame suvs but most people it won't matter.

For my 4Runner. There is almost no body rolll in average day to day driving.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-11-17 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.