Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
My 2nd Gen GS430 had terrible leather a.
The original 1990 LS400 leather was listed a minus in the pros and cons by Motorweek. Leather opinions and interior quality can very from person to person. The new leather materials are nicer IMO to the older Toyota/Lexus leather seats.
Old 12-10-17, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The original 1990 LS400 leather was listed a minus in the pros and cons by Motorweek. Leather opinions and interior quality can very from person to person. The new leather materials are nicer IMO to the older Toyota/Lexus leather seats.
The NuLuxe upholstery that Lexus, though, has come up with, IMO, is at least as nice or nicer than the real stuff (and I'd bet the cows would agree LOL) . I know you had a Lexus CT and didn't like it (though, for some reason, you kept the CT in your signature). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd almost bet that the NuLuxe was one of the few things you DID like about that car.
Old 12-10-17, 04:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The NuLuxe upholstery that Lexus, though, has come up with, IMO, is at least as nice or nicer than the real stuff (and I'd bet the cows would agree LOL) . I know you had a Lexus CT and didn't like it (though, for some reason, you kept the CT in your signature). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd almost bet that the NuLuxe was one of the few things you DID like about that car.
Nuluxe in any Lexus IS insulting. Should never of been done. I can warmup to the idea of Nulxue in a hybrid Lexus as part of a hybrid idea is supposed to be about being better to the environment.
Old 12-10-17, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nuluxe in any Lexus IS insulting. Should never of been done.
Even if it's as nice or nicer than the real stuff? Well.....I asked for your opinion, and so I'll accept it...to each his/her own.
Old 12-10-17, 04:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had NuLuxe in my IS and now leather in my GS. I prefer the NuLuxe and would even pay extra to have it.
Old 12-10-17, 04:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Even if it's as nice or nicer than the real stuff? Well.....I asked for your opinion, and so I'll accept it...to each his/her own.
Yes. If the fake stuff is nicer, than the real stuff is just not good. Plus, you avoid the arguments of the Avalon having real stuff as standard and the ES having faux as standard.
Old 12-10-17, 04:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Discussion on NuLuxe here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...is-luxury.html

I'll happily take that over real leather without the hassles of real stuff. It's nice when it's semi-aniline or aniline on your sofa or sectional indoors, but with cars, you need to have durable comfy options.

But just back to the full size topic. You will have choices for these cars for a long time. I doubt that people will panic because the full size American sedan is going the route of the dinosaur. RWD Crown Vics and Impalas went away too.
Old 12-10-17, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG

But just back to the full size topic. You will have choices for these cars for a long time. I doubt that people will panic because the full size American sedan is going the route of the dinosaur. RWD Crown Vics and Impalas went away too.
True.....but doing so ticked off a lot of people. They are some of the very ones buying the big SUVs today that are driving the remaining FWD/AWD big sedans out of the market.
Old 12-10-17, 04:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

True.....but doing so ticked off a lot of people. They are some of the very ones buying the big SUVs today that are driving the remaining FWD/AWD big sedans out of the market.
Police officers?
Old 12-10-17, 05:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The full size sedan market still sells 500k units a year. It won't be done anytime soon.
Old 12-10-17, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Police officers?
Well, the officers themselves usually don't make the purchase/acquirement decisions for the department....that is usually done by bureaucrats, though I'm sure that input from the officers is sometimes requested. Here in Northern Virginia where I live, most of the officers I've talked to miss their Crown Vics...the tough body-on-frame was not only durable for high-speed chases on rough roads and could take punishment, but the trunks were big enough to carry all of the gear and equipment that officers routinely have to have, and the back seat was large enough for larger prisoners/suspects or the big German Shepard police-dogs. Yes, the SUVs that replaced them also have a good amount of room inside, but they are higher-stance and are not as stable from the center of gravity. And the Taurus, Chevy SS, and Charger unibody sedans don't have the same frame-durability.

Slightly off-topic, but the Falls Church, VA police department (not far from where I live in the D.C. suburbs) once drove a fleet of Volvo sedans. A former Volvo dealership in the town (which now sells both Volvos and Kias), was owned by the state's Lieutenant Governor (who now represents that district in Congress)....so you can see where a political connection was involved.
Old 12-10-17, 05:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the officers themselves usually don't make the purchase/acquirement decisions for the department....that is usually done by bureaucrats, though I'm sure that input from the officers is sometimes requested. Here in Northern Virginia where I live, most of the officers I've talked to miss their Crown Vics...the tough body-on-frame was not only durable for high-speed chases on rough roads and could take punishment, but the trunks were big enough to carry all of the gear and equipment that officers routinely have to have, and the back seat was large enough for larger prisoners/suspects or the big German Shepard police-dogs. Yes, the SUVs that replaced them also have a good amount of room inside, but they are higher-stance and are not as stable from the center of gravity. And the Taurus, Chevy SS, and Charger unibody sedans don't have the same frame-durability.

Slightly off-topic, but the Falls Church, VA police department (not far from where I live in the D.C. suburbs) once drove a fleet of Volvo sedans. A former Volvo dealership in the town (which now sells both Volvos and Kias), was owned by the state's Lieutenant Governor (who now represents that district in Congress)....so you can see where a political connection was involved.
They've certainly stopped crying in their beers and are already loving the replacements. These are also known as RWD platforms with a ton of space and utility. They have the same blocky aerodynamics but are certainly way more comfy. Tons of options and are tough as nails with ramming ability and can take a lot of punishment. They're called Ford F150s, Dodge Rams and GM Sierras. And bonus, the cops can peek into cars to see who's texting, does not have a seat belt on and what's in the other pickup truck driver's bed etc. It's a nice nostalgic view but time goes on.
Old 12-10-17, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They've certainly stopped crying in their beers and are already loving the replacements. These are also known as RWD platforms with a ton of space and utility. They have the same blocky aerodynamics but are certainly way more comfy. Tons of options and are tough as nails with ramming ability and can take a lot of punishment. They're called Ford F150s, Dodge Rams and GM Sierras. And bonus, the cops can peek into cars to see who's texting, does not have a seat belt on and what's in the other pickup truck driver's bed etc.
Yes, the trucks are durable, but they don't handle and steer like the Crown Vics. And their higher stance and center-of-gravity compromises stability in sharp cornering.....important in higher-speed pursuits.

It's a nice nostalgic view but time goes on.
Automotive history is full of mistakes where certain products were dropped that shouldn't have been. Ford could have at least kept it as a special-order only vehicle for the Police/Taxi/Limo market....they would still have plenty of business today.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-17 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

cornering.....important in higher-speed pursuits.
High speed chases are sort of banned in Ontario Canada. They must be called off by law of public safety is in jeopardy. When I cross the border to New York State each Friday night it's fair game. Lots of crown Vic's by New York Stare Trooper. Same for Buffalo and Rochester. Up in Ontario, haven't seen one for years. OPP drive Tahoes and Explorers. Toronto is Ford Taurus, but I might have to double check.
Old 12-10-17, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When I cross the border to New York State each Friday night it's fair game. Lots of crown Vic's by New York Stare Trooper. Same for Buffalo and Rochester. Up in Ontario, haven't seen one for years. OPP drive Tahoes and Explorers. Toronto is Ford Taurus, but I might have to double check.

Police-spec Tauruses are very popular in this area, too. So are the Chargers and, to a lesser extent, the Explorer and Durango SUVs. But many of the local cops here still miss their Vics.

High speed chases are sort of banned in Ontario Canada. They must be called off by law of public safety is in jeopardy.
Don't want to side-track the thread too much, but, IMO, that just sounds like feel-good legislation that may look good on paper, but, in fact, plays right into the hands of criminals and ties the hand of police. That's exactly what criminals want....the knowledge that they can successfully use their vehicles as getaway machines, and the cops won't chase them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-17 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.