Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Miata?
I was being facetious.....using a small sports car to make a point.

Anyways, you are right. A crown Vic should be in theory superior to a large top high SUV. Issue woth the Crown Vic is that is a very old vehicle. That is where it really gets hurt. A modern day OPP Tahoe likely would outperform a 1980s designed Ford.
Not necessarily with the police-package. Remember, the Crown Vics that cops drove weren't the same ones that Grandpa ad Grandma bought down the street at the Ford dealership. A number of the components on them were well-beefed up.
Old 12-11-17, 12:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Not necessarily with the police-package. Remember, the Crown Vics that cops drove weren't the same ones that Grandpa ad Grandma bought down the street at the Ford dealership. A number of the components on them were well-beefed up.
And remember that the Tahoes that police drive are not the 4x4 models that Marlboro Man wannabes drive. Nor are the same as the cushy limited models that soccer moms mobiles. I will agree that that more than likely most police officers miss the Crown Vic and would probably rather have it than the new cars.

Anyways, we are getting way off topic.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-11-17 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And remember that the Tahoes that police drive are not the 4x4 models that Marlboro Man wannabes drive. Nor are the same as the cushy limited models that soccer moms mobiles. I will agree that that more than likely most police officers miss the Crown Vic and would probably rather have it than the new cars.
Yes, almost every officer I have talked to (they routinely patrol our County swimming-pool/fitness-center grounds) has told me that the Vic-replacements are just not the same.

Anyways, we are getting way off topic.
Never fails LOL.
Old 12-11-17, 06:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oy already. I guess our law enforcement community can lobby for Dodge Chargers for their full sized American sedan needs. Or they can secretly buy restored Crown Vics, and Chevy Impalas and carry out their day to day duties.
Old 12-11-17, 10:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

For those dissing the Crown Vic, saying its ancient and that something like the PPV Tahoe handles better need to get their facts in order. In 2003 Ford completely redesigned the suspension, chassis, and steering on the Crown Vic. 2003 and newer cars have modern rack and pinion steering, a completely redesigned suspension, and while still a live rear axle, it has a watts linkage, perhaps the most sophisticated setup you can get with a live rear axle. If you've never driven a 2003 or newer Crown Vic Police Interceptor, the handling is actually AWESOME for something that big that weighs 4100+lbs. The PPV Tahoe, remember is at least 1100lbs(around 5200lbs) more in mass with a much higher center of gravity.

As far as straight line speed, the new PPV Tahoe is rated to 134mph, the Crown Vic is good for 140mph. Straight line speed was never the Crown Vic's strong point, both the Crown Vic and Tahoe PPV will run a 16 second quarter mile et. The old 1990's Chevrolet Caprice would out-run a late model Ford in a straight line, they had a lot more low end torque and more horsepower to boot. Same thing with the Hemi V8 Chargers and newer model Australian built Caprice patrol cars, they'd straight up run circles around the Crown Vic.

Still from what I hear officers love their SUV's for the added space both in the driver's compartment and for stowing gear in the back. And SUV's do have a couple of advantages in high speed pursuit. On the straight interstate, handling doesn't matter all that much. Main thing is that size is king, way easier to "PIT" or ram somebody in a huge *** Tahoe, especially since everybody is now driving huge SUV's and pickup trucks.
Old 12-12-17, 07:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I've always wanted to own a car with a tow package. Silly, I know, but sounds like yet another thing I'll never be able to scratch off my bucket list. My BMW has an external oil cooler (all manuals came with it, but many autos lack it), but that doesn't count...
Old 12-12-17, 07:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
For those dissing the Crown Vic, saying its ancient and that something like the PPV Tahoe handles better need to get their facts in order. In 2003 Ford completely redesigned the suspension, chassis, and steering on the Crown Vic. 2003 and newer cars have modern rack and pinion steering, a completely redesigned suspension, and while still a live rear axle, it has a watts linkage, perhaps the most sophisticated setup you can get with a live rear axle. If you've never driven a 2003 or newer Crown Vic Police Interceptor, the handling is actually AWESOME for something that big that weighs 4100+lbs. The PPV Tahoe, remember is at least 1100lbs(around 5200lbs) more in mass with a much higher center of gravity.

As far as straight line speed, the new PPV Tahoe is rated to 134mph, the Crown Vic is good for 140mph. Straight line speed was never the Crown Vic's strong point, both the Crown Vic and Tahoe PPV will run a 16 second quarter mile et. The old 1990's Chevrolet Caprice would out-run a late model Ford in a straight line, they had a lot more low end torque and more horsepower to boot. Same thing with the Hemi V8 Chargers and newer model Australian built Caprice patrol cars, they'd straight up run circles around the Crown Vic.

Still from what I hear officers love their SUV's for the added space both in the driver's compartment and for stowing gear in the back. And SUV's do have a couple of advantages in high speed pursuit. On the straight interstate, handling doesn't matter all that much. Main thing is that size is king, way easier to "PIT" or ram somebody in a huge *** Tahoe, especially since everybody is now driving huge SUV's and pickup trucks.
I was in my early 20's and rented Caprices then Crown Vics on business. I always wanted to act older than my age. One time I had a brand new Caprice that left the airport with 8 miles. All 4 wheel covers got ripped off in Montréal (from memory near where the Jazz Fest used to take place), so I figured I'll let AMEX pick up the tab. The jockey said, "Are you sure it had wheel covers when we rented you the car?" I said absolutely sure. He then said that again and winked, so I said I'm not sure lol