Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Nissan Kicks (replaces Juke)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Nissan Kicks (replaces Juke)

The Nissan Kicks went on sale last year in certain markets outside the U.S., and it'll finally coming to a dealership near you in June of next year (assuming you live in America). But wait – doesn't Nissan already have a compact CUV to compete with the likes of the Chevy Trax and Honda HR-V? Not anymore. The Juke is gone for 2018, replaced by the significantly less polarizing Kicks.

The 2018 Nissan Kicks will start "well under $19,000." That means it'll be a few thousand dollars less expensive than the Juke it replaces (before incentives, naturally). And that's likely a big reason why the Juke is kicked to the curb. And don't expect the Kicks to follow the Juke down the turbocharged path of pint-sized pocket rocket, either. Power for the Kicks will come from a 1.6-liter four-cylinder with 125 horsepower and 115 pound-feet of torque. Those ponies will be routed to the front wheels only through a continuously variable transmission.
Source
Old 11-29-17, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO, FAR better looking than the Juke, inside and out. The Juke would have been better-named "Joke". My only complaint with the Kicks, style-wise, is that the D-pillars are too large....something that afflicts almost every small SUV or crossover nowadays except for Subaru.
Old 11-29-17, 04:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Who comes up with these names?!
Old 11-29-17, 04:02 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the Qashqai (Rogue sport in US) was the Juke's replacement.
Old 11-29-17, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
I thought the Qashqai (Rogue sport in US) was the Juke's replacement.
The Rogue Sport is one size larger on the SUV-scale than the Juke. And nobody can even pronounce the name Qashqai LOL
Old 11-29-17, 06:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, FAR better looking than the Juke, inside and out. The Juke would have been better-named "Joke". My only complaint with the Kicks, style-wise, is that the D-pillars are too large....something that afflicts almost every small SUV or crossover nowadays except for Subaru.
It does not matter what you believe the Juke or this new Kicks look like. They are not aimed at you; they are aimed at younger buyers. The Juke was successful, despite what you thought about its looks.
Old 11-29-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
It does not matter what you believe the Juke or this new Kicks look like. They are not aimed at you; they are aimed at younger buyers. The Juke was successful, despite what you thought about its looks.
First, Apples and oranges.....I wasn't commenting on its actual success. Second, plenty of older folks purchase CUVs and small SUVs...they may be aimed at younger buyers, but the market is not limited to that by any means. Third, this is Car Chat....opinions are the name of the game.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 05:17 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Juke has been very successful and I'm slightly disappointed that Nissan have played safe with its replacement, there are enough bland small SUVs out there already.

As for Qashqai - it's easy to pronounce - you pronounce it; "Qashqai" Simple.
Old 11-30-17, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The Juke has been very successful and I'm slightly disappointed that Nissan have played safe with its replacement, there are enough bland small SUVs out there already.
.......and most, if not all, of those "bland" B-class CUVs have done as well as the Juke...or better. Anything in this category with AWD is going to sell well.....that is one of the current automotive crazes in the U.S. And, of course, two more are on their way to the American market (the Ford Ecosport and Hyundai Kona), so we will see even more competition.

Easy to pronounce? Here....check this out.

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/14/...ing-fun-video/
Old 11-30-17, 04:09 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy

Hear, hear. It's pronounced just as it's written, Some people just chose to ignore it or have issues being "hooked on phonetics"

Nissan replaced the Juke because it was based on an older platform, The new Rogue platform has been in use outside NA market for at least 2 years as a Rogue and Qashqai models. They had to rename the Qashqai in the US as focus groups on yanks didn't pan out.
Old 11-30-17, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81

Nissan replaced the Juke because it was based on an older platform, The new Rogue platform has been in use outside NA market for at least 2 years as a Rogue and Qashqai models. They had to rename the Qashqai in the US as focus groups on yanks didn't pan out.
For a while, there have been actually two Rogues for sale in the American market....the newer, latest-generation Rogue and the older-generation one still sold at the same dealerships, which was re-named to "Rogue Select". Now that the older Rogue Selects have (apparantly) all been sold out, a new, sightly smaller Rogue Sport has been added....so there are still two Rogues available in the American market. And all three of these were easier for most Americans to pronounce than Qashqai LOL.

And, get this.....when the Juke is phased out and the Kicks arrives, Nissan will have SIX different sizes (and price-ranges) of SUVs in the U.S. Kicks on the bottom, then Rogue Sport, then Rogue, then Murano, then Pathfinder, then Armada. If that isn't overlap, then I can't imagine what is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-17 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 06:44 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are kicking out Juke? Interesting, I thought Kicks was just a complementary model to Juke in some selected markets.
Old 11-30-17, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
They are kicking out Juke?
Just for Kicks.
Old 11-30-17, 11:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For a while, there have been actually two Rogues for sale in the American market....the newer, latest-generation Rogue and the older-generation one still sold at the same dealerships, which was re-named to "Rogue Select". Now that the older Rogue Selects have (apparantly) all been sold out, a new, sightly smaller Rogue Sport has been added....so there are still two Rogues available in the American market. And all three of these were easier for most Americans to pronounce than Qashqai LOL.

And, get this.....when the Juke is phased out and the Kicks arrives, Nissan will have SIX different sizes (and price-ranges) of SUVs in the U.S. Kicks on the bottom, then Rogue Sport, then Rogue, then Murano, then Pathfinder, then Armada. If that isn't overlap, then I can't imagine what is.
Nissan is on point, as these tall wagons/crossovers are what people want now days. Toyota are the dummies in this segment IMO, offering the weirdly styled, cramped, slow, no AWD option C-HR as their entry point, which is priced way too close to the much larger and more conventional Rav4. Toyota doesn't offer anything in that segment between the Rav4 and Highlander, that premium 2 row SUV like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Murano, Ford Edge, entry level Benz, BMW, and Audi SUV's.

I know you say the 4 Runner, but that is way more truckish, boxy, traditional compared to the competition. There is room for a way swoopier/sportier/more car like 5 seat Toyota SUV based on the Camry that slots below the RX350. A lot of people don't want that Lexus badge as its too flashy and ostentatious, they don't want people to know they are wealthy.
Old 12-01-17, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Nissan is on point, as these tall wagons/crossovers are what people want now days. Toyota are the dummies in this segment IMO, offering the weirdly styled, cramped, slow, no AWD option C-HR as their entry point, which is priced way too close to the much larger and more conventional Rav4.
Agreed on the C-HR....IMO, the most unimpressive new Toyota I've seen in a while.

Toyota doesn't offer anything in that segment between the Rav4 and Highlander, that premium 2 row SUV like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Murano, Ford Edge, entry level Benz, BMW, and Audi SUV's.
Not quite sure what your point is here. The Grand Cherokee, Murano, and Edge essentially compete with the Highlander....in the highlander's class. They are not really in a "slot" or "segment" between the RAV-4 and Highlander.

Quick Reply: 2018 Nissan Kicks (replaces Juke)