Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S.-spec 2018 Hyundai Kona

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 12:33 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Bringing this thread back... I have been seeing the Kona all over South Florida. It seems they're really a hit with the younger crowd down here. I like the overall look of it but one thing that I didn't realize is how ugly the headlight/taillight area is. The black plastic on the wheel arches extend around the light cluster and looks pretty terrible. The separate light cluster was enough of a radical styling cue, and surrounding it in ugly black plastic accentuates it unflatteringly.
I want to add to your comment. How often do you see a Kona in SoFlo? I have yet to see one in the San Francisco Bay Area... Seriously. I haven't seen one yet. And I drive from SF to SJ for work everyday. Its super interesting to see how people purchasing differently across our beautiful country. I guess that's why I got into marketing. IE: I always see G-Wagons in LA - when I'm down there. But rarely see any in SF Bay Area.

Originally Posted by bagwell
the whole tablet idea is to keep your eyes up, level with the road to be safer then looking way down on the center stack.
Quick comment about this: Its true. The tablet style idea is to keep your eyes up but I think Jill was referring to the way its positioned. Majority of cars tablet style design feels like its slapped on after the car was built - as an after thought. I feel the design where the tablet style is integrated into the dash looks more polished and expensive. You can still integrate it into the dash at eye level too.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-04-18 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 05:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Kona has bottom of the barrel prices, at least here in Europe... so interior and overall fitment issues are to be expected... for the price, it seems like a good deal, but I never drove one.
Old 06-04-18, 07:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've been surprised at how many of these I've seen around the Seattle area. Seem to be pretty popular here. Nice looking car.
Old 06-04-18, 08:04 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I want to add to your comment. How often do you see a Kona in SoFlo? I have yet to see one in the San Francisco Bay Area... Seriously. I haven't seen one yet. And I drive from SF to SJ for work everyday. Its super interesting to see how people purchasing differently across our beautiful country. I guess that's why I got into marketing. IE: I always see G-Wagons in LA - when I'm down there. But rarely see any in SF Bay Area.
I just recently noticed how frequent I've seen them. Saturday alone I must have seen 3-5 during a 25 minute commute.
Old 06-04-18, 09:47 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
I just recently noticed how frequent I've seen them. Saturday alone I must have seen 3-5 during a 25 minute commute.
That's quite insane. I haven't seen one yet on my 1 hour work commute from SF to SJ since the car released. I wonder what makes it so appealing down in SoFlo compared to the SF Bay Area.
Old 06-05-18, 06:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Majority of cars tablet style design feels like its slapped on after the car was built - as an after thought. I feel the design where the tablet style is integrated into the dash looks more polished and expensive. You can still integrate it into the dash at eye level too.
The Kona tablet looking dash looked cheap and felt pathetically cheap. I think all of the tablet style dashboards look cheap. The new Corolla Hatch looks tacky. The A-C class Mercedes-Benz models look downright dreadful. So does the G-wagon as well. Some of them get a pass, the Chevrolet Malibu is ok and so is the Honda Accord. The RX is sort of OK and the new ES looks decent. For me, what ruins it I think is that if it looks like you can touch it (regardless if touch screen or not) it takes away. I think it needs to be far back in the dash if it wants to be a table style.
Old 06-05-18, 06:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO BMW arguably does the best job of integrating the screen into the upper part of the dash. Being rectangular vs. square helps.
Old 06-05-18, 09:42 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Kona tablet looking dash looked cheap and felt pathetically cheap. I think all of the tablet style dashboards look cheap. The new Corolla Hatch looks tacky. The A-C class Mercedes-Benz models look downright dreadful. So does the G-wagon as well. Some of them get a pass, the Chevrolet Malibu is ok and so is the Honda Accord. The RX is sort of OK and the new ES looks decent. For me, what ruins it I think is that if it looks like you can touch it (regardless if touch screen or not) it takes away. I think it needs to be far back in the dash if it wants to be a table style.
Agreed. Majority of the dashboard tablet style look is cheap. I never understood why car makers got into this style. Some car companies are still holding back on it but some are pushing it - hard.

I agree. The worst offender in for luxury cars is MB. Their tablet style is awful as hell. I think its even worst for their MBUX system which is two tablets stuck together and just slapped on. It looks so un-flushed and unrefined.
Old 06-07-18, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I agree most stick up tablet style screens look terrible.

notice big lux cars, ls, s, g90, don't do it.
Old 06-07-18, 09:56 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree most stick up tablet style screens look terrible.

notice big lux cars, ls, s, g90, don't do it.
Also the Lexus LC.

Off topic: But I wish Lexus would have integrated the navigation into the dash for the ES too. The interior of the ES makes me think its more like the UX than the LS. Only the outside is LS-like.
Old 08-22-18, 12:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric range officially EPA-rated at 258 miles

Finally, after a few estimates, the EPA has released its official rating of 258 miles. That's 8 miles higher than Hyundai's estimate for the U.S. car, given a few months ago.

This also puts Hyundai in a strong position against the current crop of electric car competition. While the funky Kona does come up short of the long-range, 310-mile Tesla Model 3, that particular Model 3 costs over $40,000, even with the tax incentive that's not long for this world. The Kona Electric will likely start at a lower price point comparable with the fabled short-range, 220-mile Model 3, which is also 38 miles short of the Kona's range. As such, the Chevy Bolt EV is likely the closest competitor, offering 238 miles, 20 short of the Hyundai, and a price of about $30,000, though that's also with a tax credit that will probably be ending soon for Chevrolet.

The 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric goes on sale in California and select other states toward the end of this year.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/21/...ial-epa-range/
Old 12-17-18, 04:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This should really juice demand!

The Hyundai Kona Electric has been long awaited in the U.S. But, when it arrives here early next year, we now know how much it will cost: $36,450. If we subtract the $7,500 federal tax credit from that, we’re looking at a mere $28,950. Then, there are the various state incentives that can reduce that number even more.

Californians, for example, could be looking at an overall starting price of just $26,450!

What buyers will get in return is a competent compact crossover with a 64-kWh battery pack that returns an impressive EPA-rated range of 258 miles. That’s the best range of any all-electric available in the U.S. that isn’t a Tesla. The Kona Electric will come in several trim levels and pricing for higher-spec versions will be announced soon, according to the Korean automaker.We believe that, at this price level, demand for the Kona Electric should be pretty significant.

Though we had worried that the supply from the Korean automaker might be somewhat limited, the company has, recently, said that it will satisfy the U.S. hunger for the vehicle.This news confirms for us that 2019 will be an extremely interesting one with regards to how the different plug-in choices affect the market. Will, for instance, the competitive arrival of this Hyundai have a negative effect on sales of existing electric models like the Chevy Bolt, or will it help expand the market overall? Perhaps it will force other automakers to sharpen their pricing pencils or offer more features in their offerings.

Check out the official press blast below for all the details.

2019 HYUNDAI KONA ELECTRIC PRICING CONFIRMS AN UNPRECEDENTED SUB-$30K ELECTRIC CROSSOVER VALUE WITH 258 MILES OF RANGE
• Kona Electric Starts Below $30,000 with Available $7,500 Tax Credit
• Generous 258-Mile Estimated Range Meets More Varied Lifestyle Needs
• New Electric CUV offers Youthful Design, Sporty Driving Character, Leading Safety Technology and Advanced Infotainment Features in an Affordable, Compact Footprint
• Abundant Suite of Standard Safety Equipment

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Dec. 14, 2018 – Hyundai today announced the starting price for its long-awaited 2019 Kona Electric convention-breaking electric crossover. The Kona Electric starting price is $36,450, for an effective net price of $28,950 ($29,995 including delivery), with the electric vehicle tax credit of $7,500 factored in. Customers may receive the available federal tax credit of up to $7,500, dependent on individual tax circumstances, yielding a sub-$30,000 net value.

Pricing for other Kona Electric trims will be announced shortly.
Kona Electric rides on an all-new CUV platform and is Hyundai’s first compact electric crossover for the U.S. market, appealing to consumers with active, eco-focused lifestyles of all kinds. Kona Electric models will be produced in Ulsan, Korea and will be available in the beginning of 2019, with initial availability in California and subsequently in the ZEV-focused states in the western and northeastern regions of the U.S. market.

“Our new Kona Electric crossover is an exceptionally affordable, stylish and efficient compact electric CUV, tailored to the needs of customers who pursue eco-focused active lifestyles requiring generous range,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president of Product, Corporate and Digital Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “We’re confident it will set new standards for the electric-propelled compact CUV segment, with outstanding value, range flexibility, appealing design, cutting-edge connectivity, and class-leading available safety features.”

Source: Hyundai

https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-e...ice-tag-in-us/

Last edited by bagwell; 12-17-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like potentially good competition for the Tesla Model 3. Kias and Hyundais used to blow everyone else away with their warranties, but Tesla has a pretty impressive one themselves.
Old 12-17-18, 05:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks like potentially good competition for the Tesla Model 3. Kias and Hyundais used to blow everyone else away with their warranties, but Tesla has a pretty impressive one themselves.
I believe Hyundai is giving the battery a LIFETIME WARRANTY just like their hybrid warranty....!

Under the Hood

The Kona Electric is front-wheel drive and comes powered by an electric motor with the equivalent of 201 horsepower. The car's 64-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery can be recharged up to 80 percent of its total capacity in approximately 54 minutes when using a fast-charging system, according to Hyundai. The battery is also covered by a lifetime warranty, which should provide extra peace of mind to anyone on the fence about an EV's long-term durability. The charging port is in the nose of the car to help make head-in parking-lot recharges a bit simpler.
https://www.cars.com/articles/heres-...1420703180918/
Old 12-17-18, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I believe Hyundai is giving the battery a LIFETIME WARRANTY just like their hybrid warranty....!
Yes, I'm aware of that, but I was talking about the rest of the car as well. There is a lot more to a full-electric car than just the battery and motor.

Quick Reply: U.S.-spec 2018 Hyundai Kona