Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Subaru Ascent

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
#firstworldproblems

with the accent being a subcompact Hyundai and the ascent being a mid-size ute from Subaru and the meanings of the names being completely different, i don't see the need for another worthless government bureaucracy on names.
Or, for that matter, if one even tries to compare those two names to the former Isuzu Ascender...a rebadged Chevy Trail Blazer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-03-17, 05:52 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I really hope they eventually make an sti variant!
Old 12-03-17, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ABC
I really hope they eventually make an sti variant!
An STI 7-seater? Come on.
Old 12-03-17, 07:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

#firstworldproblems

with the accent being a subcompact Hyundai and the ascent being a mid-size ute from Subaru and the meanings of the names being completely different, i don't see the need for another worthless government bureaucracy on names.
I was being sarcastic to prove how similar the two sound. The confusion will come within the household of the owners.
It's ironic you mentioned firstworldproblems. Was just talking to my business neighbor today about how we're turning into a third world country since the passing of the last two props that let everyone out of jail and made hard crimes simple slaps on the wrist. The crime in my area has tripled within two years. I spend more time babysitting and kicking out transients and crackheads than actually making business. But I digress.
Old 12-03-17, 09:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's ironic you mentioned firstworldproblems. Was just talking to my business neighbor today about how we're turning into a third world country since the passing of the last two props that let everyone out of jail and made hard crimes simple slaps on the wrist. The crime in my area has tripled within two years. I spend more time babysitting and kicking out transients and crackheads than actually making business. But I digress.
when you say "we" assume you're talking about california. looked up props and do you mean 57?
https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...irements_(2016)
Old 12-03-17, 09:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

when you say "we" assume you're talking about california. looked up props and do you mean 57?
https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...irements_(2016)
Yes to all. Plus two other similar props. It's the biggest thing to happen in my business and home area. But big time off-topic. This should move to the other forum. I could go on forever with what's changed since those passed.

So, how's that Ascent doing?
Old 12-23-17, 06:40 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should sell well. At least it's running a 4 cylinder turbo and not the 3.6L H6 which never has offered very much in the ways of power and efficiency.
Old 12-24-17, 02:57 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Subaru has some of the worst concept --> production car translations ever. Which is sad because their concepts are usually quite striking and they're not all that difficult to production engineer. The production car just seems so slab-sided when the concept had some nice volume in the fender flares. And the nose seems a bit too leaned back vs the slightly more bold/upright concept.

It'll definitely sell. Interested to drive their new turbo, which has good horsepower, but is down a bit on torque relative to the likes of the CX-9's turbo 4.
Well part of it is not that its difficult to produce, its that there are certain concept designs that can't be put into production, because of safety standards. A lot of concepts don't play well with real world physics, which is why you don't see them in production. But even if it can be done, it might be too expensive to implement. For example, stretch rear taillights get scratched from production because it would cost the company millions more to produce. But thats kinda why I like Dodge vehicles. It's like they got insulted and went all out on their taillights.
Old 12-27-17, 06:52 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Well part of it is not that its difficult to produce, its that there are certain concept designs that can't be put into production, because of safety standards. A lot of concepts don't play well with real world physics, which is why you don't see them in production. But even if it can be done, it might be too expensive to implement. For example, stretch rear taillights get scratched from production because it would cost the company millions more to produce. But thats kinda why I like Dodge vehicles. It's like they got insulted and went all out on their taillights.
Thanks Theory, I'm well versed on the tradeoffs and costs between production and concept cars. I agree that the Dodge vehicles have a very striking signature lighting element in the rear. Love the racetrack taillights. I'm just saying that Subaru seems to translate their concepts the worst. They way overpromise with some striking concepts and then under deliver. Honda/Acura on the other end of the spectrum, seemingly take the production car and then back it into a concept car. Basically just put a standard wheel package on it, and then put on real mirrors instead of the little camera arms that they typically use.

In any case, the Ascent will undoubtedly sell well, will be interesting to see if it cannibalizes some of the Outback's sales. I know it's 2 row vs 3 row.
Old 12-27-17, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
In any case, the Ascent will undoubtedly sell well, will be interesting to see if it cannibalizes some of the Outback's sales. I know it's 2 row vs 3 row.
So you think it will do better than the ill-fated Tribeca?
Old 12-27-17, 08:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Now that I've seen those tests online where a Subaru has the ability to pull itself up an incline when only one wheel has traction, whereas Toyota, Honda, VW, Ford, consistently fail, it's got me curious. Do all cars short of Range Rover and real trucks all fail? We get the you pay what we pay employee pricing at work, which a) isn't true b) isn't that good lol

But I'd like to see more tests myself
Old 12-27-17, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Now that I've seen those tests online where a Subaru has the ability to pull itself up an incline when only one wheel has traction, whereas Toyota, Honda, VW, Ford, consistently fail, it's got me curious. Do all cars short of Range Rover and real trucks all fail? We get the you pay what we pay employee pricing at work, which a) isn't true b) isn't that good lol

But I'd like to see more tests myself
One of the advantages of Subaru's AWD system vs. other systems (besides the balanced, Symmetrical layout) is tha the system is full-time, and torque-splits all of the power, all of the time, to all four wheels. A number of other so-called "full-time" systems are essentially FWD or RWD until the primary drive wheels start to slip, then shift the power, through the center differential, to the wheels still with traction. That is slightly more efficient overall, and may save a little fuel, but, as the tests show, less-efficient at getting going under truly slippery conditions, where the Subaru units really shine.

Audi's famed Quattro system used to be like Subaru's (true full-time, with torque-split)...but recently, to save some fuel, has been reprogrammed to be like the torque-on-demand systems which work only if the drive wheels get stuck.
Old 12-28-17, 08:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So you think it will do better than the ill-fated Tribeca?
Absolutely. This has a standard design and proportions, and 3 row crossovers are in demand everywhere.
Old 12-28-17, 09:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

If I were a betting man I'd say this car is a winner. Now when they say 72.6 cu ft., is this comparable to an Enclave with 115, or 97? It really can't replace a Traverse per se, but it probably does a very good job for smaller families and everyday....If you read the brochure it basically beats the competition in every way lol It's probably the one you want at Killington, while the Toyotas and Hondas and VWs are all stuck....
Old 12-30-17, 01:10 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
If I were a betting man I'd say this car is a winner. Now when they say 72.6 cu ft., is this comparable to an Enclave with 115, or 97? It really can't replace a Traverse per se, but it probably does a very good job for smaller families and everyday....If you read the brochure it basically beats the competition in every way lol It's probably the one you want at Killington, while the Toyotas and Hondas and VWs are all stuck....
The spec difference is due to changing ways in which cargo capacity is being measured. It should be pretty competitive with most of the 3 row crossovers on the market.

Quick Reply: 2019 Subaru Ascent