Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Subaru Ascent

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 11:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Subaru Ascent

Just over a year after Subaru first indicated its intention to build a three-row crossover with the Viziv-7, we now get to see the end product, the 2019 Ascent. Compared with the Viziv-7 and the Ascent concept, the basic shape remains, but all of the rugged, square-shouldered detailing has been toned way down. The body is now full of soft, inoffensive lines that result in it looking more like a blown-up Outback than its own thing. It's not a bad-looking vehicle, but it isn't quite as bold as we hoped.

Under the skin is a brand-new engine in the Subaru lineup. It uses a turbocharged and intercooled 2.4-liter flat-four, and the turbo is a twin-scroll unit. It produces 260 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque, and will help the Ascent tug on up to 5,000 pounds of whatever you want to tow. The engine is mated to a CVT that can be shifted manually through eight preset ratios via steering-wheel paddles. Power goes to all four wheels, as is the Subaru way. All Ascents also come with the X-Mode off-road setting and hill descent control, as well as 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

In the cabin, Ascents can be had with seating for up to eight people. All models come standard with a second-row bench seat, while Premium trim and higher can be had with second-row captain's chairs at no extra cost. Passengers can take advantage of three-zone automatic climate control, with redundant controls for the second row. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard equipment along with a 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system that can be optioned up to an 8-inch. As for cargo space, there's 19.6 cubic feet behind the third row, over 40 cubic feet behind the second row, and about 72 cubic feet with both rows folded. Drivers will also be able to take advantage of standard EyeSight with automatic emergency braking, lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control.

The 2019 Ascent goes on sale next summer. Subaru has not yet announced pricing.
Source
Old 11-29-17, 11:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Pretty interesting new Hyundai Rogue...
Old 11-29-17, 11:32 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that's gonna sell. it does remind me of the new highlander tho
Old 11-29-17, 12:20 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

a me-too SUV. egh, they have to make what sells.
Old 11-29-17, 12:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like this better than the VW Atlas. Overall just looks like a taller Outback. Should be worlds better than the B9 Tribeca/ Tribeca from years ago.
Old 11-29-17, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

An obvious replacement for the old Tribeca....the only 3-row vehicle Subaru ever did in the American market. Looks basically like an Outback on steroids.

I hope to see one at the D.C. show in January......assuming they decide to bring it here.
Old 11-30-17, 12:07 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it , more than the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot. Cargo room is quite small for it's size though at only 72? My RAV4 and CR-V are equal to that. This will definitely sell here in the Northeast.
Old 11-30-17, 05:21 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"Yawn" - stick a large grille on a generic SUV shape and there you go. It could have come from any one of a dozen manufacturers and will merge into the wheeled white goods market very well.
Old 11-30-17, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
"Yawn" - stick a large grille on a generic SUV shape and there you go. It could have come from any one of a dozen manufacturers and will merge into the wheeled white goods market very well.
Well, that's Subaru for you. Although there have been a few exceptions, for the vast core of its products, the company generally believes in traditional squared-off styling, high rooflines, and large windows for good visibility.
Old 11-30-17, 07:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Subaru has some of the worst concept --> production car translations ever. Which is sad because their concepts are usually quite striking and they're not all that difficult to production engineer. The production car just seems so slab-sided when the concept had some nice volume in the fender flares. And the nose seems a bit too leaned back vs the slightly more bold/upright concept.

It'll definitely sell. Interested to drive their new turbo, which has good horsepower, but is down a bit on torque relative to the likes of the CX-9's turbo 4.

Old 11-30-17, 10:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that's Subaru for you. Although there have been a few exceptions, for the vast core of its products, the company generally believes in traditional squared-off styling, high rooflines, and large windows for good visibility.
The SVX was one of those exceptions.
Old 11-30-17, 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
The SVX was one of those exceptions.
And how. I used it call it the Japanese Thunderbird. (That was my personal nickname for it, not from the industry). The SVX also had a very weird and unusual feature......something I never saw on any other production car. The upper parts of the side windows were sealed into the doors and body, but the lower parts went up and down normally wth the power-window switches.

Old 11-30-17, 04:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And how. I used it call it the Japanese Thunderbird. (That was my personal nickname for it, not from the industry). The SVX also had a very weird and unusual feature......something I never saw on any other production car. The upper parts of the side windows were sealed into the doors and body, but the lower parts went up and down normally wth the power-window switches.

A DeLorean DMC-12 had a very similar window setup. A Lambo Countach had something similar too. When I was in college I really liked the SVX, almost traded my car for one but the guy was having some transmission issues.
Old 11-30-17, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
A DeLorean DMC-12 had a very similar window setup.
Good catch. I had not remembered that one, though the cutout is a lot smaller than on the SVX.

Old 12-01-17, 12:05 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Spyker has a similar setup on their windows. Google Spyker if you don't know what that car is, its a mid-engined Dutch supercar from the 2000's.

Quick Reply: 2019 Subaru Ascent