Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Completely agree. It kinda reminds me of half *** stuff Toyota has done in the past, the dumb rear door on the GX, stupid fixed folding seats on the Land Cruiser or LX. These come to mind.
Its worse than those vehicles IMHO because the purpose of this vehicle is really to haul
people. You can explain away the door on the GX and the seats on the LX as being not essential for those vehicles primary missions, but these seats are the whole point of having an RX-L, which is a vehicle Lexus dealers and consumers including me have been waiting for. This is a huge disappointment.

As as I’ve said before I have $60,000 sitting here waiting to spend on this vehicle and they aren’t getting it for that vehicle. I’ll get a QX60 or an MDX or a XC90 or a Q7 or the list goes on and on, not all vehicles that have great backseat setups but ALL are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the RX-L.

Originally Posted by ST430
Not sure why people expect actual adults to use the third row. As a present owner, I'm more inclined to see the extra cargo (yes spec wise it's small, but makes a difference), as well as available seating in case a large family comes along (throwing the kids in the back).
You clearly haven’t spent time with the vehicle. NOBODY can use the third row with any sort of comfortable legroom apportioned to the second row, not even children.
Old 02-19-18, 11:27 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Umm I saw it at the LA Auto show extensively. As I said, as a present RX350 owner, I would want it primarily for thr additionally cargo space. Third row would be as only an emergency case.

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Its worse than those vehicles IMHO because the purpose of this vehicle is really to haul
people. You can explain away the door on the GX and the seats on the LX as being not essential for those vehicles primary missions, but these seats are the whole point of having an RX-L, which is a vehicle Lexus dealers and consumers including me have been waiting for. This is a huge disappointment.

As as I’ve said before I have $60,000 sitting here waiting to spend on this vehicle and they aren’t getting it for that vehicle. I’ll get a QX60 or an MDX or a XC90 or a Q7 or the list goes on and on, not all vehicles that have great backseat setups but ALL are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the RX-L.

You clearly haven’t spent time with the vehicle. NOBODY can use the third row with any sort of comfortable legroom apportioned to the second row, not even children.
Old 02-19-18, 11:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Only American's think they would need something like this.
just because it was made for the american market doesn't mean that what now exists is actually what they wanted. maybe lexus u.s. had a different request and lexus japan said this is what you're getting as we're not changing the wheelbase.

It will sell ok and there will be a demand. Most people do not need a third row seat no matter what the justification.
it's rarely about need, but instead strong want to have the option to carry more than 4/5 now and then.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-19-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Your logic is nonsensical. That’s like saying because they’ve sold so many Pickup trucks crossovers are something nobody wants.

Entirely different segments. Somebody needing or wanting a 3 row crossover never looked at an RX, and somebody who bought an RX never needed or wanted a 3 row crossover. Different markets.

Actually, no, that's not what I said. I said that there's a lot of talk about demand for a 3-row RX, but, specifically with the RX, people are actually buying the 2-row version in pretty good numbers.....it's been that way for some 20 years now, ever since the RX first debuted. I don't see anything nonsensical about that statement. What IS nonsensical, however, as numerous posters have said (and I agree with) is trying to stuff adults into that third row, the way the vehicle is currently designed.

There is is a very strong demand in the US for 3 row crossovers
True, but, from your own previous statements, this is a 2.5 row crossover (if even that), not a 3-row.
Old 02-19-18, 12:06 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just because it was made for the american market doesn't mean that what now exists is actually what they wanted. maybe lexus u.s. had a different request and lexus japan said this is what you're getting as we're not changing the wheelbase.

it's rarely about need, but instead strong want to have the option to carry more than 4/5 now and then.
Well thats just dumb. I dont get it, the Lexus is no corner carver, so who cares if its as floaty as a boat with additional wheelbase. In addition, how does the highlander have a better third row when it literally is built on the same platform.....

Poor execution, still gonna sell well. People hear third row and will jump and then post forum threads about how useless this thing is.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-19-18 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I dont get it, the Lexus is no corner carver, so who cares if its as floaty as a boat with additional wheelbase.
For one, I care. IMO, up to a point, the floatier, the better

In addition, how does the highlander have a better third row when it literally is built on the same platform.....
Probably better interior space efficiency. It has a more conservative body-style and roofline than the RX.

Poor execution, still gonna sell well. People hear third row and will jump and then post forum threads about how useless this thing is.
Not universal by any means, but many of the buyers of this type of vehicle tend not to hang out on forums that much to start with. They are too tied up raising kids and running a house.

(Yes, I know there are a number of RX owners on Car Chat, but I'm talking proportion nationally)
Old 02-19-18, 01:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
In addition, how does the highlander have a better third row when it literally is built on the same platform.....
Being on the same platform does not mean that the RX-L and Highlander share a floor pan. The passenger cabin and floorpan of the RX was originally designed as a 2-row vehicle, with the 3rd row squeezed in later, whereas the Highlander's cabin and floorpan was designed from the start to be a 3-row vehicle. The RX also has different, thicker seats than the Highlander, which will take up space that the Highlander uses as leg and knee room. And this RX-L may only be a stopgap model, for 2 to 3 years until the next RX, on the TNGA platform comes out.

There remains a market for both larger (mid-sized) 2- and 3-row vehicles. Honda has its 3-row Pilot but seems to be studying the demand for a 2-row (Passport?) crossover that is larger than the compact CR-V. Acura has its 3-row MDX but seems to be making the 2-row RDX larger (from compact to mid-size), leaving room below it for a new compact 2-row crossover. Mazda seems to be doing the same thing. It has its 3-row CX-9 but seems to be studying the demand for a 2-row crossover (to be built in the new Alabama plant it will share with Toyota?) that is larger than the CX-5.
Old 02-19-18, 02:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
Umm I saw it at the LA Auto show extensively. As I said, as a present RX350 owner, I would want it primarily for thr additionally cargo space. Third row would be as only an emergency case.
You’re a different buyer. Most buyers in this segments have families and envision the need to be able to transport a car full of people someplace, and for that buyer this vehicle is useless.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, no, that's not what I said. I said that there's a lot of talk about demand for a 3-row RX, but, specifically with the RX, people are actually buying the 2-row version in pretty good numbers.....it's been that way for some 20 years now, ever since the RX first debuted. I don't see anything nonsensical about that statement. What IS nonsensical, however, as numerous posters have said (and I agree with) is trying to stuff adults into that third row, the way the vehicle is currently designed
What you fail to understand is whether or not people buy the two row RX means nothing. It doesn’t compete with 3 row crossovers. Having a 3 row crossover doesn’t diminish the 2 row RX, there was a time in my life when a 2 row vehicle was all I needed or wanted, and what I had. I have moved out of that time and Lexus still has nothing for me to buy, THAT is the problem.

Its a big segment, lots of companies serving it...Lexus has been late to the game and their entry is just silly.
Old 02-19-18, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

there was a time in my life when a 2 row vehicle was all I needed or wanted, and what I had. I have moved out of that time and Lexus still has nothing for me to buy, THAT is the problem.
Not everyone is like you, though. With the Sedona and Pacifica, you bought vehicles your family needed...which, of course, is what a responsible father and husband does. But a number of SUV buyers (not all by any means) buy them for their image and little else.....except for the thrill they get from sitting up in a seat of greater-than-sedan height. Even the cargo area and AWD don't mean that much to them. I've actually shopped with people like that....they were seduced by the ride-height the moment they got in.
Old 02-19-18, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not everyone is like you, though. With the Sedona and Pacifica, you bought vehicles your family needed...which, of course, is what a responsible father and husband does. But a number of SUV buyers (not all by any means) buy them for their image and little else.....except for the thrill they get from sitting up in a seat of greater-than-sedan height. Even the cargo area and AWD don't mean that much to them. I've actually shopped with people like that....they were seduced by the ride-height the moment they got in.
The point is people buying 3 row crossovers are like me, hence I’m a person who will buy a 3 row crossover the next time.

If you don’t want three rows you wouldn’t choose a 3 row crossover. That’s the point.
Old 02-19-18, 06:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The point is people buying 3 row crossovers are like me, hence I’m a person who will buy a 3 row crossover the next time.

If you don’t want three rows you wouldn’t choose a 3 row crossover. That’s the point.
I don’t know why people keep arguing with you back. You bought a 3 row so you obviously understand your needs. That said, I saw the 3 row on Saturday, it is not a very good design. Lexus needs to make something the size of the GL but in cross over fashion.
Old 02-19-18, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t know why people keep arguing with you back. You bought a 3 row so you obviously understand your needs.

If you are refering to me, I was not criticizing his motives at all. I understand it perfectly.

That said, I saw the 3 row on Saturday, it is not a very good design. Lexus needs to make something the size of the GL but in cross over fashion.

I've driven the three-row Lexus GX, and I really liked its hefty feel and construction. It felt like it was carved out of a block of granite....almost as much so as the Land Cruiser/LX. If Lexus does dump it for a larger GL-size 3-row crossover, I, for one, would be sorry to see it go. I understand, though, that it was not very popular by Lexus standards, and there may be a good business-case for replacing it.
Old 02-19-18, 06:13 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The RX 3 row is a stop gap measure (as Sulu mentioned) because Toyota missed the boat on the idea of a luxe 3 row based on a car platform. They have the Highlander which you can load up to $50K, but that's into Lexus territory. So the next one on the TNGA will be what 3 row CUV shoppers can watch for. Otherwise there are a variety of these around but really, it's about prestige and vanity vs just getting a minivan.
Old 02-20-18, 07:17 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Being on the same platform does not mean that the RX-L and Highlander share a floor pan. The passenger cabin and floorpan of the RX was originally designed as a 2-row vehicle, with the 3rd row squeezed in later, whereas the Highlander's cabin and floorpan was designed from the start to be a 3-row vehicle. The RX also has different, thicker seats than the Highlander, which will take up space that the Highlander uses as leg and knee room. And this RX-L may only be a stopgap model, for 2 to 3 years until the next RX, on the TNGA platform comes out.

There remains a market for both larger (mid-sized) 2- and 3-row vehicles. Honda has its 3-row Pilot but seems to be studying the demand for a 2-row (Passport?) crossover that is larger than the compact CR-V. Acura has its 3-row MDX but seems to be making the 2-row RDX larger (from compact to mid-size), leaving room below it for a new compact 2-row crossover. Mazda seems to be doing the same thing. It has its 3-row CX-9 but seems to be studying the demand for a 2-row crossover (to be built in the new Alabama plant it will share with Toyota?) that is larger than the CX-5.

While I agree there are floor pan differences, thicker seats etc....whyyy? Its off the K platform, and probably not cooked overnight...The L was probably in the works on the same timeline as the current highlander. Toyota loves keeping their existing platforms for a while, so I see the repositioning going on with platform where the L is a stop gap...but more then likely a TGNA crossover refresh is quite out there. It needs a long time before the L gets replaced.
Old 02-20-18, 07:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I've driven the three-row Lexus GX, and I really liked its hefty feel and construction. It felt like it was carved out of a block of granite....almost as much so as the Land Cruiser/LX. If Lexus does dump it for a larger GL-size 3-row crossover, I, for one, would be sorry to see it go. I understand, though, that it was not very popular by Lexus standards, and there may be a good business-case for replacing it.
The GX outsells all other Lexus models outside of the ES, RX and NX and I'm glad it is still here. I've test driven the GX as well over the summer and yes it felt like solid granite and I'm lusting after it. Made my 2015 GS feel like wet noodles afterwards. Even though it is a BOF vehicle, I feel like the 3rd row is usable for short trips and I'm 5'9". The RXL on the other hand, looks like an execution chamber in the 3rd row with the second row caught in the crossfire.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs