Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?

Old 11-23-17, 09:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?

New VLOG I did to share my insights after 27 track days on 11 circuits. When to use it, why we use it, and why some dont ! Hope you enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?-nov-18-2017-speed-ventures-sat-164c63187a-2-green-group-bowl-820am-cvr_0884_nov1817_.jpg   VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?-nov-18-2017-speed-ventures-sat-164c63187a-2-green-group-turn-6-820am-cvr_0341_nov181.jpg   VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?-thumbnail-5_2.jpg   VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?-image4-1-.jpg   VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?-ac4_2027.jpg  

VLOG: Should a driver use traction control on track ? ?-img_9759.jpg  
Old 11-23-17, 08:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

That's funny. I ran with the stability control on in my IS F and lost my front brakes (Carbotech XP12 track pads) in the third session of my first track day because they were intervening so much. I NEVER drive with it on because it creates a false sense of what your car can do when it really can't. Maybe blame that on years of road racing motorcycles, and using aggressive throttle, but leaving it on nearly caused me to lose my car on my first track day. Never again.

Airbags saving people on the track? Never happened. I know more people who were unnecessarily injured by airbags on track days than I do people who were saved by getting a Mike Tyson punch.

Sorry, but I violently disagree with this.
Old 11-24-17, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's funny. I ran with the stability control on in my IS F and lost my front brakes (Carbotech XP12 track pads) in the third session of my first track day because they were intervening so much. I NEVER drive with it on because it creates a false sense of what your car can do when it really can't. Maybe blame that on years of road racing motorcycles, and using aggressive throttle, but leaving it on nearly caused me to lose my car on my first track day. Never again.
If it's absolute lowest track-time you want, using it probably wouldn't make much sense, either, simply from the fact that the system works by applying one or more individual brakes to correct over or under-steer....and, of course, you can't have brakes and speed both.

Airbags saving people on the track? Never happened. I know more people who were unnecessarily injured by airbags on track days than I do people who were saved by getting a Mike Tyson punch.
The way the older airbags were set up (sensors, pressure-charges, etc...), there wasn't much difference between one and a Mike Tyson punch LOL. The newer ones have multi-stage sensors and better ability to tailor the actual deployment of the bag to the impact-severity and weight of the person sitting in the seat.
Old 11-24-17, 11:48 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

.Not all vsc/dtc systems are the same though. Some kick in really early and harsh. Others are much smoother and progressive. On the track, I prefer not using it. On the road I always keep it on, the nanny could save you during a abrupt avoidance maneuver. I had some connections at the GM Milford proving grounds. Got to spend time on the seven sisters track. After the first time with re11's on the car, I was told next time come with a set of used A/S tires. When I asked why, I was told the tires were covering up flaws in my driving. Doing so made me a much better driver. I would see the cars nanny doing the same thing as a stickier tire.
Old 11-24-17, 02:38 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
After the first time with re11's on the car, I was told next time come with a set of used A/S tires. When I asked why, I was told the tires were covering up flaws in my driving. Doing so made me a much better driver. I would see the cars nanny doing the same thing as a stickier tire.
Very true. Many of the 'track-day special' production cars that you can buy off the showroom floor come equipped with DOT-legal extra wide R-compound tires and can really mask the driver's ability (or inability) to properly engage in the corners around the track.
Old 11-24-17, 10:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Traction/stability control has come a long way over the years, the stuff on sports cars from the past 5-6 years is LIGHT YEARS ahead of similar systems used in the late 90's/00's
Old 11-25-17, 08:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

.Not all vsc/dtc systems are the same though. Some kick in really early and harsh. Others are much smoother and progressive. On the track, I prefer not using it. On the road I always keep it on, the nanny could save you during a abrupt avoidance maneuver. I had some connections at the GM Milford proving grounds. Got to spend time on the seven sisters track. After the first time with re11's on the car, I was told next time come with a set of used A/S tires. When I asked why, I was told the tires were covering up flaws in my driving. Doing so made me a much better driver. I would see the cars nanny doing the same thing as a stickier tire.
I do the same thing. On the road, it will make sure I don't do something bad when I miscalculate available traction. On the track I found I was running turn 13 at CMP with my foot on the floor using the stability control. The next day (after my brakes recovered) I was only able to go through that turn at 50% throttle with the stability controls off. That is not a small difference, and it was the root cause of my brake failure the previous day. They never got a good opportunity to cool.

I have never fully understood why so many guys show up to an HPDE with high grip tires. You learn so much more in low traction conditions. If it's a race, sure, run the stickiest stuff you can get because you want every possible advantage, but an HPDE? No times, no trophies, no purses, not even decent bragging rights because you never know if anyone else at the event has any skill - most often, there are only a very few genuinely fast drivers at an HPDE, and they're just testing so they're not going all out either. You are way better off just running your street tires and actually learning something.
Old 11-27-17, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have never fully understood why so many guys show up to an HPDE with high grip tires. You learn so much more in low traction conditions. You are way better off just running your street tires and actually learning something.
Why you say is true, but it is also wise (assuming the T/C and VSC are turned off) to err on the side of safety. Once you're in the ditch, or have damaged your car (and maybe yourself as well), it's too late to then say "Gee, maybe I should have used sticker tires".
Old 11-27-17, 05:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This, depends a lot on the car, some newer systems are very progressive in how they intervene.

As for the tire thing, I'd say it depends on how much of a beast you are driving. Some of these newer cars with 500+hp stock, put crappy tires on them and you can't put down the power coming out of a corner.

A lot of rookie track day guys with no previous auto-x/road racing experience also make the mistake of buying too much car. Start in something slow with less grip like a Miata, once you've figured that out move into something faster, it will make you a better driver.
Old 11-27-17, 05:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why you say is true, but it is also wise (assuming the T/C and VSC are turned off) to err on the side of safety. Once you're in the ditch, or have damaged your car (and maybe yourself as well), it's too late to then say "Gee, maybe I should have used sticker tires".
That's not at all what you say. You say "It really sucks that I didn't drive better." I've said that more than once after watching my bike slide down the track. Blaming your tires is not the answer to poor driving.

NEVER TRACK A CAR/BIKE YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO THROW AWAY.