Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 11:38 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

been seeing a lot more these on the road. the best Camry by far IMO
Old 12-13-17, 11:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Yup same here I do a fair bit of traveling and I'm seeing them everywhere. And I agree it's the best Camry so far.
Old 12-13-17, 11:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Oh boy, I know where this is going.

Originally Posted by plex
Yup same here I do a fair bit of traveling and I'm seeing them everywhere. And I agree it's the best Camry so far.
I don't see very many, but I agree its the best Camry from what I see.
Old 12-13-17, 12:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

have only seen one.
i think the accord is a better car even with the funky front end, although the camry front end is garish.
Old 12-13-17, 12:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I too am seeing lots of them around. I'm surprised that most of the ones I am seeing are SE and XSE models. Love the look of them!

There is a new Accord in my work parking lot. I was hoping it would grow on me but I swear it looks worse every time I see it.
Old 12-13-17, 01:21 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
same here, brand new from the dealer and no license plates

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Oh boy, I know where this is going.
I'll admit, it would be cool to have, but I just cant trade-in my lexuses nor truck for one. with its styling, this gen camry may just appeal to the younger millennial crowd shots fired lol
Old 01-17-18, 07:09 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I just special ordered one from a dealer out of state. No one had the new wind-chill pearl, with the piano black top, and red leather, with the V6. I finally received the car, and my thoughts are as follows. The doors seem sturdy and well made. The motor is super smooth and I have to look at the RPM to assure its running. The gauges are up to date. The Entune is super fast and more reliable so far than my 2015 Platinum Tundra. I hate it didn't come with Apple Car play or memory seats, but both seats have power and seem to fit like a glove. They are semi firm, and wrap everyone who sits in them. I got the fully loaded XSE, with tinted windows, nitrogen in the tires, and the color keyed door trims. This was an extra nearly 1K. Overall the car feels heavy, balanced, and the steering is precise. The cruise control, birds eye view monitoring, and other safety features are top notch. I don't use the HUD much, but I actually miss it, when I drive the 1997 Camry. Its a completely new design, runs great, motor pulls strong, and gets decent gas mileage. I traded in the Tundra, 6 inch lift, 35's, etc, for this. Its a huge step forward for Toyota and their development team. At the end of the day, I still see people looking at the car at the red lights, in the parking lots, etc, much more than they would look at an average Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I love Lexus. I have had many Lexus's, but this Toyota has suited me well.

I will chime in as the time allows to see if their are any issues with anything. I have been against buying a first year new design of anything, but when I saw it on YouTube, I had to get it. I never looked back. I just wish it had memory seats. I don't care about the heated steering wheel or the Apple Car play/Android. I do look forward to just lying my phone down on the wireless charger and utilize that nice feature. All in all it was right at 40K after the dealer rebate. They gave me 40K for trade on my truck. I owed just over 20K on it, so my payments are super cheap with 0% interest. I cant stay out of it much. It drives that well.

Stay tuned.
Old 01-17-18, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice to hear. Yeah, too bad no Car Play.
Old 01-17-18, 08:01 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Car Play wasn't even a considered down fall. I mean how often do I really need to use it? This wasn't my daily driver and just about everyone has unlimited data on their phone plans. I really wished it had memory seats. That's the only option I truly wanted. The salesperson stated that the Avalon has that. LOL.

I will also speak highly of the view. Toyota did an amazing job on giving the driver the best view in all areas of the car. The upgraded JBL sounds absolutely amazing. The bass is deep, almost like JL Audio, and the treble is clear. Just a huge leap forward on the overall sounds as compared to the junk I had in the Tundra. In the Tundra, you had to crank it up to like 40 or above just to hear, and if the windows or sunroof was down, you can forget it. The subwoofer is hot garbage. JMO.

Many people have asked me if I miss the Tundra. I hardly ever drove it. I put a bunch of money in it and I never drove it. It saw rain only three times in three years. It was super clean and super low mileage. I think it had 25K on it when I traded it, just a few weeks ago.

I think Toyota should also consider installing cooling/AC seats for the front two, and AC/Heater cup holders. Maybe as an option? The other downfall is for the driver to have to use two hands to control the volume and change the track on the steering wheel. One is one side and the other is on the other. I think they should have placed them both on the same side. JMO. I am sure I can pick it apart and because I am super ****, but I love this new style of design. The LED lights on the dash in front of the passenger, inside each door handle, and each footwell are great!!!
Old 01-17-18, 08:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats on the purchase of your Camry. I think the new ones are awesome.

Is memory seating an option? That one surprises me. My Highlander has it, even my parents' RAV4 has it. Seems like an obvious omission on the Camry.

Like you, I would not care at all about CarPlay.
Old 01-18-18, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

i'd miss heated steering wheel, even here in florida. driving home last night it was right at freezing outside.

1jzpwrd - congrats! need a pic.
Old 01-18-18, 12:39 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I too am seeing lots of them around. I'm surprised that most of the ones I am seeing are SE and XSE models. Love the look of them!

There is a new Accord in my work parking lot. I was hoping it would grow on me but I swear it looks worse every time I see it.
Back when I got my 2015 Camry, I was told at the dealer that about 50% of Camrys sold at the time were SE. I'm guessing they are still taking advantage of that trend.

Congrats to 1JZPWRD, sounds like you are liking the car!
Old 01-20-18, 04:56 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Drove a new Camry XSE a couple months ago, Red with the black accents looks really good to me & it drives very well. This one had the 6-speed manual making it a very sporty ride!
Old 01-20-18, 06:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Drove a new Camry XSE a couple months ago, Red with the black accents looks really good to me & it drives very well. This one had the 6-speed manual making it a very sporty ride!
New Camry with a manual transmission? Really?
Old 01-20-18, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Are you sure it was an American-spec Camry? Toyota does not offer a traditional three-pedal manual on any American-market version, including the XSE.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6