Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Well I just special ordered one from a dealer out of state. No one had the new wind-chill pearl, with the piano black top, and red leather, with the V6. I finally received the car, and my thoughts are as follows. The doors seem sturdy and well made. The motor is super smooth and I have to look at the RPM to assure its running. The gauges are up to date. The Entune is super fast and more reliable so far than my 2015 Platinum Tundra. I hate it didn't come with Apple Car play or memory seats, but both seats have power and seem to fit like a glove. They are semi firm, and wrap everyone who sits in them. I got the fully loaded XSE, with tinted windows, nitrogen in the tires, and the color keyed door trims. This was an extra nearly 1K. Overall the car feels heavy, balanced, and the steering is precise. The cruise control, birds eye view monitoring, and other safety features are top notch. I don't use the HUD much, but I actually miss it, when I drive the 1997 Camry. Its a completely new design, runs great, motor pulls strong, and gets decent gas mileage. I traded in the Tundra, 6 inch lift, 35's, etc, for this. Its a huge step forward for Toyota and their development team. At the end of the day, I still see people looking at the car at the red lights, in the parking lots, etc, much more than they would look at an average Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I love Lexus. I have had many Lexus's, but this Toyota has suited me well.

I will chime in as the time allows to see if their are any issues with anything. I have been against buying a first year new design of anything, but when I saw it on YouTube, I had to get it. I never looked back. I just wish it had memory seats. I don't care about the heated steering wheel or the Apple Car play/Android. I do look forward to just lying my phone down on the wireless charger and utilize that nice feature. All in all it was right at 40K after the dealer rebate. They gave me 40K for trade on my truck. I owed just over 20K on it, so my payments are super cheap with 0% interest. I cant stay out of it much. It drives that well.

Stay tuned.

Congratulations. The Wind Chill is a nice color, but kind of a strange name.

That's quite a deal....40K on a trade-in. Even if you still owe 20K on it, like you say, that's still a good 20K chunk down on your new car.
Old 01-20-18, 10:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Well I just special ordered one from a dealer out of state. No one had the new wind-chill pearl, with the piano black top, and red leather, with the V6. I finally received the car, and my thoughts are as follows. The doors seem sturdy and well made. The motor is super smooth and I have to look at the RPM to assure its running. The gauges are up to date. The Entune is super fast and more reliable so far than my 2015 Platinum Tundra. I hate it didn't come with Apple Car play or memory seats, but both seats have power and seem to fit like a glove. They are semi firm, and wrap everyone who sits in them. I got the fully loaded XSE, with tinted windows, nitrogen in the tires, and the color keyed door trims. This was an extra nearly 1K. Overall the car feels heavy, balanced, and the steering is precise. The cruise control, birds eye view monitoring, and other safety features are top notch. I don't use the HUD much, but I actually miss it, when I drive the 1997 Camry. Its a completely new design, runs great, motor pulls strong, and gets decent gas mileage. I traded in the Tundra, 6 inch lift, 35's, etc, for this. Its a huge step forward for Toyota and their development team. At the end of the day, I still see people looking at the car at the red lights, in the parking lots, etc, much more than they would look at an average Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I love Lexus. I have had many Lexus's, but this Toyota has suited me well.

I will chime in as the time allows to see if their are any issues with anything. I have been against buying a first year new design of anything, but when I saw it on YouTube, I had to get it. I never looked back. I just wish it had memory seats. I don't care about the heated steering wheel or the Apple Car play/Android. I do look forward to just lying my phone down on the wireless charger and utilize that nice feature. All in all it was right at 40K after the dealer rebate. They gave me 40K for trade on my truck. I owed just over 20K on it, so my payments are super cheap with 0% interest. I cant stay out of it much. It drives that well.

Stay tuned.
Sounds like a very solid and excellent choice. This should last you a very long time and serve you well. The part that makes me gasp and feel bad is you paid an extra $1k for a package that probably cost the dealer no more than $200. Never buy dealer installed add-ons. The mark-up is anywhere from 50 to 300%, and typically intensifies when a model is all-new and in demand. That includes the tint, door-edge guards (that do absolutely nothing for your car), and the air in tires. You can get all those things done elsewhere and save over $500 of your hard-earned money. Dealers are very good and digging in during the excitement of a sale, and end up making a massive profit at the expense or our best intentions.
Enjoy your ride and keep us posted!

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-21-18 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 03:36 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Drove a new Camry XSE a couple months ago, Red with the black accents looks really good to me & it drives very well. This one had the 6-speed manual making it a very sporty ride!
My mistake it was a 8-speed automatic, got it confused with the Hyundai Elantra Sport which drives very similar.