Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All new Tesla Roadster unveiled!! 0-60mph 1.9 seconds!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 04:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I wonder how much battery/range you'd have left after a couple 1.9 seconds 0-60 launches? And, how much range would you have left as well? Last time I checked, the current consumption spiked north of 1.5kW. definitely a lot of strain and drain on the battery. does the battery have enough kWh to run at the track? what's the real life range from spirited driving from touge?

so many questions.
And for those who believe that a 1.9-second sprint is NOT quick enough, Elon Musk to the rescue. Maybe Tesla should build race tracks around their Supercharger stations to satisfy those who want to try out their Roadster II with "special option package" on the track but are worried about quickly depleting range.

The 2020 Tesla Roadster has already made quite the statement with its claimed zero-to-60 mph time of 1.9 seconds.

But never one to remain quietly idle after a major announcement, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has taken to Twitter to confirm those performance figures are for the base model and that a “special option package” will be available that takes the Roadster to the next level. It may be hard to believe the Roadster can get any faster, but that’s exactly what Musk is claiming.
Source
Old 11-21-17, 04:18 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Default Former GM Exec Bob Lutz Says Tesla is ‘Going Out of Business’

Originally Posted by riredale
What a crock.

The Hustler needs to keep money from investors flowing in, so he promises the moon. Meanwhile, he can't make money the usual way, you know, by building cars.

Best regards to the Tesla investors, but I'd strongly suggest you sell your shares before the big crash. Or not. Your choice. And I know that people need to believe in something.

By the way, what is the point of 0-60 in two seconds? For merging from the ridiculous on-ramps on the Pasadena Freeway?
From one hustler to another...

In an on-air interview Friday with CNBC’s Power Lunch, former General Motors executive Bob Lutz claimed American electric vehicle maker Tesla is “going out of business.”

Following Tesla’s unveiling of its electric semi and second-generation Roadster last week, Lutz went on CNBC and claimed the event was intended as a distraction from the manufacturing problems it’s experiencing with the Model 3. The automaker has been struggling to ramp-up production of the $35,000 sedan and failed to meet its third-quarter delivery targets, and Lutz thinks the semi event was a way to drum up hype and raise capital amid hard times.

“The company, folks, is going out of business,” Lutz said. At this rate they’ll never get to 2019.”

“They are hemorrhaging cash. They’re going to have to go for another capital raise,” he added.

Lutz is an outspoken and harsh critic of Tesla, but his statements here are at least partly being driven by something other than unfounded disdain. Establishment brands like Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and General Motors are better versed in vehicle making and will have a myriad of Tesla-fighting products on hand soon, which could take a bit out of its sales. This is will be especially true if it can’t work out the kinks in its production line.

“There is no secret sauce in Tesla,” Lutz said, referencing other automaker’s competing battery electric tech. “They use the same lithium-ion batteries as everybody else.”

Luckily for Tesla, it has enough of a jump on the competition for there to be a large gap between the Model 3 and the arrival of the next worthy competing product. Let’s just hope Musk can deliver on his promise of building 5,000 Model 3s a week by the end of the first-quarter of 2018.
Source
Old 11-21-17, 06:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lutz's motivations are well known. Tesla appears to have their own problems. Burning through a lot of cash so it's not surprising that Musk pulls a PR stunt. Certainly you have people talking and that's a hallmark for Elon and his promo strategies.
Old 11-21-17, 06:18 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Default Tesla blows through US$8,000 every minute amid Model 3 woes

According to Bloomberg, Tesla may fall by next summer.

NEW YORK (BLOOMBERG) - Elon Musk said last week that Tesla Inc is designing a new sports car that could go from zero to 60 mph in 1.9 seconds. Not bad, but here's a speed number that investors might want to focus on instead: Over the past 12 months, the electric-car maker has been burning money at a clip of about US$8,000 a minute (or US$480,000 an hour), Bloomberg data show.

At this pace, the company is on track to exhaust its current cash pile on Monday, Aug 6. (At 2:17am New York time, if you really want to be precise.) To be fair, few Tesla watchers expect the cash burn to continue at quite such a breakneck pace, and the company itself says it's ramping up output of its all-important Model 3, which will bring money in the door. Investors don't seem concerned. Tesla shares rose almost 3 per cent to US$317.81 on Tuesday, giving it a market capitalization of US$53 billion. Ford Motor is worth US$48 billion.

But still, its need for fresh cash came into high relief last week when Musk unveiled his latest plan to raise funds. He's asking customers to pay him upfront to order vehicles that may not be delivered for years.

The Founders Series Roadster will cost buyers a US$250,000 down payment even though it's not coming for more than two years. Orders of those cars are capped at 1,000, meaning they alone could generate US$250 million. Tesla is charging a total of US$50,000 for reservations of the regular Roadster. Companies can also pre-order electric Semi trucks for US$5,000, though they don't go into production until 2019.

But all this is a pittance compared with Tesla's financial needs. It's blowing through more than US$1 billion a quarter thanks to massive investment in making the Model 3, a US$35,000 car that's looking less likely to generate a return anytime soon.

"Whether they can last another 10 months or a year, he needs money, and quickly," said Kevin Tynan, senior analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence, who estimates Tesla will be required to raise at least US$2 billion in fresh capital by mid-2018.

AMPLE MONEY

Tesla has said it has ample money to meet its target of producing 5,000 Model 3 sedans by the end of March. After that date, the company expects to "generate significant cash flows from operating activities," Tesla said in a Nov 1 letter to shareholders. Tesla's capital expenditures should also decline as the company pays off its expenses related to the Model 3, CFO Deepak Ahuja said on a conference call the same day.

Dave Arnold, a spokesman for Palo Alto-based Tesla, declined to elaborate.

Tesla's options are limited.

It's already drawing down on more of its revolving credit facilities than ever before.And while the bond market is a possible route, it may not be especially welcoming right now. Investors who bought US$1.8 billion of debt three months ago remain under water even after the notes recovered a bit from a low of 93.88 cents on the dollar early this month.

That may leave selling equity as the most viable option. But that, of course, would dilute existing shareholders, and Musk, at 20 per cent, is the biggest.

"So long as the company is burning cash, it will remain dependent on the patience and enthusiasm of public markets or the deep pockets of a white knight," said Christian Hoffmann, a money manager at Thornburg Investment Management.
Source
Old 11-21-17, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
According to Bloomberg, Tesla may fall by next summer.
Bob Lutz, who is not only an experienced CEO but a well-known car guy as well, has also said, in public, that, while he personally likes Elon Musk and has a high opinion of Musk's marketing skills, he doesn't think the company will last more than another year or two, at least as an auto manufacturer. They've simply bitten off more than they can chew in overhead and other costs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-17 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 06:39 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an on-air interview Friday with CNBC’s Power Lunch, former General Motors executive Bob Lutz claimed American electric vehicle maker Tesla is “going out of business.”
“The company, folks, is going out of business,” Lutz said. At this rate they’ll never get to 2019.”
A bold claim made by an idiot that ran a company into bankruptcy. Would you take business advice from a homeless person. No? Then I doubt anybody in their right mind would take financial advice, let alone interview one, from a bankrupt idiot.
Old 11-21-17, 06:46 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

VIA Motors and VLF Automotive. The GM bankruptcy, although Lutz wasn't the CEO - Ric Wagoner was and Lutz got his big bonus payout while GM floundered. Taxpayers to the rescue. I respect Lutz for some things he passes on as wisdom, but with Tesla, he's got a credibility issue. Might as well have a debate between these two guys, because they're both out there putting out PR - but you have to question their motivations.

Lutz thought the Prius hybrid was a PR stunt. He was busy talking up Dodge Vipers and Cadillac Sixteens. Lutz has somehow reshaped his public image these days (as most politicians do, he just happens to be a corporate politician). He somehow figured that Chevy should do the Volt and well, do you see a lot of Volts around? You see a lot of Prius' though.

Last edited by MattyG; 11-21-17 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
VIA Motors and VLF Automotive. The GM bankruptcy, although Lutz wasn't the CEO - Ric Wagoner was and Lutz got his big bonus payout while GM floundered. Taxpayers to the rescue. I respect Lutz for some things he passes on as wisdom, but with Tesla, he's got a credibility issue. Might as well have a debate between these two guys, because they're both out there putting out PR - but you have to question their motivations.
There is a one-on-one debate between the two of them on YouTube, but I didn't post it because it is several years out of date now. I don't see a newer one.

I disagree, BTW, with the comments of other posters about Lutz being an idiot. Many of the far better vehicles that we currently have now at GM (as opposed to the junk-quality ones they did for decades) are the direct result of him putting his foot down on quality when he was Vice-CEO of the corporation. Marry Barra, of course, who was CEO in recent years, also did her part.

And GM didn't go into bankruptcy because of Lutz, but because of his predecessors.....particularly Smith and Stempel,

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-17 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lutz thought the Prius hybrid was a PR stunt. He was busy talking up Dodge Vipers and Cadillac Sixteens. Lutz has somehow reshaped his public image these days (as most politicians do, he just happens to be a corporate politician). He somehow figured that Chevy should do the Volt and well, do you see a lot of Volts around? You see a lot of Prius' though.
Lutz was basically correct. The Prius did sell, not only because it was economical and reliable (which it was, on both counts), but also because the left-wing MSM loved it, and constantly pushed its PR image. Celebrities in Hollywood and a number of college professors also adopted the Prius as their automotive poster-child. It was, essentially, the car for people who disliked cars.
Old 11-21-17, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
What a crock.

The Hustler needs to keep money from investors flowing in, so he promises the moon. Meanwhile, he can't make money the usual way, you know, by building cars.

Best regards to the Tesla investors, but I'd strongly suggest you sell your shares before the big crash. Or not. Your choice. And I know that people need to believe in something.

By the way, what is the point of 0-60 in two seconds? For merging from the ridiculous on-ramps on the Pasadena Freeway?

Anyhow, back to topic (Tesla), though I'm not quite as strong in my opinion as riredale, I have to agree that I'd be a little nervous, too, if I owned Tesla stock. I think he's correct that a crash (or, if not an outright crash, a major correction) is coming.....and that holding onto it now, after major gains have been made, is just too risky. I'd cash in on the shares, take what profits in the share-value have been recently made, pay whatever Capital-Gains tax is due on them, and be safe from whatever is coming.
Old 11-21-17, 07:12 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Wink

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is a one-on-one debate between the two of them on YouTube, but I didn't post it because it is several years out of date now. I don't see a newer one.

I disagree, BTW, with the comments of other posters about Lutz being an idiot. Many of the far better vehicles that we currently have now at GM (as opposed to the junk-quality ones they did for decades) are the direct result of him putting his foot down on quality when he was Vice-CEO of the corporation. Marry Barra, of course, who was CEO in recent years, also did her part.

And GM didn't go into bankruptcy because of Lutz, but because of his predecessors.....particularly Smith and Stempel,
True but politics often involves saying, "hey that wasn't me, it didn't happen on my watch - that was the other guy". At some point a respected leader takes the hit and says so, unless they're interested in politicking.

Mary Barra? Sure, but she also was on the watch during the infamous GM ignition switch debacle. You didn't even have airbags once the failure happened.

But yeah, with so much money at risk on the markets, would Lutz and Musk end up in a new debate? Probably not.

The EV1 was out before Toyota had the Prius. And they promptly killed it. You were supposed to buy junk with weird body cladding and Rubber Maid interiors. They've been catching up ever since, selling pickup trucks and Suburbans to domestic America and Buicks to domestic China.

Strange times.
Old 11-21-17, 09:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lutz was basically correct. The Prius did sell, not only because it was economical and reliable (which it was, on both counts), but also because the left-wing MSM loved it, and constantly pushed its PR image. Celebrities in Hollywood and a number of college professors also adopted the Prius as their automotive poster-child. It was, essentially, the car for people who disliked cars.
The Prius has been wildly successful and a great car if you drive a lot and want to save money. As for Lutz the guy once again comes across as being very jealous.
Old 11-22-17, 05:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

if tesla can't begin to deliver decent quantities of '3's or win a vast contract for batteries i don't see how it will continue without another stock offering for the 'faithful' (blind).

i applaud what they've done but their execution is poor.
Old 11-22-17, 08:38 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The key to Tesla's future is probably not so much tied to the car factory, but to the "giga-factory" to make batteries. If they succeed there, battery costs for the cars will drop dramatically and the car factory can become profitable. Musk's long term plans are to also sell batteries for home use so that solar power can be practical. I keep thinking a smart investment would be in a lithium mine.
Steve
Old 11-22-17, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

True but politics often involves saying, "hey that wasn't me, it didn't happen on my watch - that was the other guy". At some point a respected leader takes the hit and says so, unless they're interested in politicking.

Mary Barra? Sure, but she also was on the watch during the infamous GM ignition switch debacle. You didn't even have airbags once the failure happened.

But yeah, with so much money at risk on the markets, would Lutz and Musk end up in a new debate? Probably not.

The EV1 was out before Toyota had the Prius. And they promptly killed it. You were supposed to buy junk with weird body cladding and Rubber Maid interiors. They've been catching up ever since, selling pickup trucks and Suburbans to domestic America and Buicks to domestic China.

Strange times.
Most former auto execs have very selective memories, Bob Lutz included, when they write their books and do interviews. It does make for interesting reading and listening though.

Quick Reply: All new Tesla Roadster unveiled!! 0-60mph 1.9 seconds!!