Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All new Tesla Roadster unveiled!! 0-60mph 1.9 seconds!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 06:54 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am focused on my commute

A crap load of trucks run through and around Chicago as the choo choos apparently don't have the right routes to move all the stuff that has to get through the Midwest.

Having trucks that don't take forever to get from 0 to whatever will be a huge improvement for traffic management on the highways.

They also complete mess up roads where they stop for a light. What is the worst is when an S Box International is first in line in the right lane and suffers to get to any speed, then a driver in a nice Canadian Western Star pulls into the left lane to pass the International, and then both lanes of traffic are screwed.
Old 11-18-17, 07:04 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Tesla, despite NOT being able to make money doing its business, which is designing, building and selling electric vehicles, is able to attract a lot of investment capital, so much so that the total value of Tesla's stock is about equal to both GM and Ford. This is despite having a lot less "bricks and mortar" than either of the big American automakers.

Tesla needs this money to keep going so Elon Musk is out shilling for more money. To attract more investment, he needs to do some flashy stuff, like brag about a roadster that will accelerate from 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds and has a top speed of 250+ mph (really, who needs this level of performance on our crowded highways?), and a semi-truck tractor that will accelerate from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds (unloaded, but again, who expects this level of performance on our crowded highways?).

Added to this is Tesla's history of over-promising and under-delivering -- which is worse than GM's reputation in this regard -- and people start to wonder if all of this is more show than go.

"There's a sucker born every minute." - attributed to P.T. Barnum
Old 11-18-17, 07:14 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I work at a Fortune 200 company and can say with confidence that the number of Model S cars in the parking lot just keeps growing.

There are a few Model X SUVs also but those doors were a bad idea.

I agree that Musky Tusky is a modern Vaudeville act but like you said, he needs to attract a vast amount of resources to fund all these projects.

I thought he would follow the Semi with the pick up truck as that will be an incredible money maker if he can get it right.

I thought the sports car (roadster) would be the last puzzle piece, after a CUV based on the Model 3.
Old 11-18-17, 07:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Interestingly:

TMC
Assets USD423 billion.
Equity [assets less liabilities] USD 153.5 billion.

VW AG
Assets USD483 billion.
Equity USD109 billion.

Daimler AG
Assets 235 billion
Equity 63 billion

GM
Assets 221 billion.
Equity 43 billion.

Ford
Assets 237 billion
Equity 29 billion.

Tesla Inc
Assets 22.66 billion
Equity 4.75 billion

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-18-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-18-17, 07:19 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I am focused on my commute

A crap load of trucks run through and around Chicago as the choo choos apparently don't have the right routes to move all the stuff that has to get through the Midwest.

Having trucks that don't take forever to get from 0 to whatever will be a huge improvement for traffic management on the highways.

They also complete mess up roads where they stop for a light. What is the worst is when an S Box International is first in line in the right lane and suffers to get to any speed, then a driver in a nice Canadian Western Star pulls into the left lane to pass the International, and then both lanes of traffic are screwed.
Yes it is frustrating and there is no doubt about better traffic management and probably some infrastructure issues. But here is some context. Chicago is one of the busiest places in the US because it's a hub. That's the cost of living in a big metropolis and there is no changing that. A truck that gets out of your way faster is not going to fix your commute. You go to ORD to fly in or out? It's a busy airport. If your pilot told you that a FedEx or UPS cargo jet is a little slow to get off the runway and he had to slow down and delay your arrival by say, 3 minutes - is that going to bother you?

It's all relative. Those trucks in front of you deliver your stuff. It's hard commuting, but I always tell people - leave early and arrive early.
Old 11-18-17, 08:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

You get my life

I leave at 6 AM most days

I leave at 5:40 AM when I take the NSX and want to speed

I am hoping the Tesla Semi can make things a little better around here

No reason to not hope
Old 11-19-17, 09:23 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Am I reading this correctly that this has over 7,300 ft. lbs. or torque?

How? Should't it be doing a 0-60 in 0.5 seconds with that kind of power?
Old 11-19-17, 09:33 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

That would be the Semi
Old 11-19-17, 11:14 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
That would be the Semi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster_(2020)

"torque at wheels will be 10,000 N·m (7,376 lb·ft)."
Old 11-19-17, 11:45 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Lovely I'm always for anything fast. Won't be selling the Supra for one by any means or doing any dig runs against one either lol. Maybe a highway pull.
Old 11-19-17, 01:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Am I reading this correctly that this has over 7,300 ft. lbs. or torque?

How? Should't it be doing a 0-60 in 0.5 seconds with that kind of power?
Motors specialized for heavy movers tend to have high torque, but only modest power due to limited max RPM speed.
For example a conventional F1 racing car can rev to 20,000 rpm, versus a turbo diesel truck that redlines at only several thousand rpm's.

About 20 years ago, I used to be into Lipo [lithium polymer] powered radio controlled cars, and the electric motors had so many "winds", and so many "turns".
I can't remember exactly, but the number of winds and turns in the electric motor affects the torque/power ratio.

For example.
The number of poles is the number of arms inside an electric motor.
The greater the number of poles, the slower the max RPM's.
It is like gears in a gear box; the greater the number of teeth, the slower the gear box.

The gauge of the wire. The bigger the diameter, the less the electrical resistance.

The number of winds is the number of wires wrapped around each armature arm.
Electric current actually travels on the surface of the wire.
Therefore a multistrand wire has even more surface area than a large gauge wire, for greater electron flow.
Single winds yield higher bottom end torque, good for smaller tracks with lots of curves.
Double, triple, quadruple etc - yield less bottom end torque, but more top end power; good for big tracks with long straights.

The number of turns (T) is the number of times the copper wire is wrapped around the armature arm.
The more turns, the greater the torque.
The fewer the turns, the higher the amperage/current for more RPM's.

A 19T electric motor [for a radio controlled car] would produce more torque, easier to drive [because easier to control the speed], and longer battery life, but fewer RPM's.
A 12T motor would produce more RPM's, but less torque, harder to drive, and shorter battery life.

The overall physical size, weight and cost of the electric motor is more closely related to its torque output, than its power output.
Must increase the size to increase the torque.

It's about juggling the compromizes to best suit the application.

A stock electric motor for an R/C car is normally single wind with 27 turns.
A super stock motor is single wind 19T.

A brushless motor would produce about 40% more performance than a traditional brushed motor.

Of course, there are many other types of electric motors...

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-19-17 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 03:04 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

WOW... 0-60 in 1.9 seconds ? OMG... I want !
Old 11-21-17, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
WOW... 0-60 in 1.9 seconds ? OMG... I want !
THEY want..............

Old 11-21-17, 03:41 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

What a crock.

The Hustler needs to keep money from investors flowing in, so he promises the moon. Meanwhile, he can't make money the usual way, you know, by building cars.

Best regards to the Tesla investors, but I'd strongly suggest you sell your shares before the big crash. Or not. Your choice. And I know that people need to believe in something.

By the way, what is the point of 0-60 in two seconds? For merging from the ridiculous on-ramps on the Pasadena Freeway?
Old 11-21-17, 03:53 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I wonder how much battery/range you'd have left after a couple 1.9 seconds 0-60 launches? And, how much range would you have left as well? Last time I checked, the current consumption spiked north of 1.5kW. 1500 amps rms. definitely a lot of strain and drain on the battery. does the battery have enough kWh to run at the track? what's the real life range from spirited driving from touge?

so many questions.

Last edited by jadu; 11-21-17 at 06:43 PM. Reason: corrected units

Quick Reply: All new Tesla Roadster unveiled!! 0-60mph 1.9 seconds!!