Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla unveils their new semitruck

Old 11-19-17, 05:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An opinion from a long haul trucker on the Tesla. Quite interesting and some valid points about what Musk is saying and what your average trucker might think. Just some of his points but the whole article is worth reading.

I only have space here to address a few issues, so we'll start with the central seating position. I don't see how that helps a trucker. I already get "a commanding view of the road" in a traditional truck because I sit six feet above traffic. What I need is a commanding view of my own truck, which the central seating position compromises. The worst blind spot in a tractor is next to the doors; in the Tesla Semi, I can't lean over to see if there's a Toyota Corolla camped out beside me. The central seating position hampers my commanding view when I need that view most: when I back up. For any backing maneuver, I watch both sides of the trailer in my mirrors to make sure I don't clobber anything, or I lean out of the truck to watch the trailer as I back. Being able to physically watch the trailer – not camera images on screens – can be the difference between making a clean back-up or making an insurance claim.
Furthermore, I can't see around trucks in front of me without pulling halfway into another lane. When I need to exchange paperwork with the guard at a terminal, or the police, I can't lean out the window to do so. Speaking of which, I have to believe one of the windows on the Tesla Semi rolls down, but I can't figure out which one. If, as it appears from the renderings, the windows only vent, well... that's unacceptable.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/19/...ker-questions/
Old 11-21-17, 11:50 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
An opinion from a long haul trucker on the Tesla. Quite interesting and some valid points about what Musk is saying and what your average trucker might think. Just some of his points but the whole article is worth reading.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/19/...ker-questions/
Tesla says all their tech is going into the Semi, so the blind spot monitor systems that are probably not in the older trucks would help with not being able to look over as well as cameras mounted on the side of trucks
Old 11-21-17, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

the long haul trucker's opinion isn't that important because the seat is only there at all so the driver THINKS they're driving.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-21-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-24-17, 04:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's supposed to sell for $150K for the 300 mile unit and $180K for the 500 miler. Fuel/maintenance savings payback in two years according Tesla on the $150K unit. And yes, you too can get in on the ground floor right now for the "Founders Series" - limited edition, only 1000 being made for the fantastic price of $200K.

Payment is required in full for the Founders Series, just like it is for the Roadster.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...-price-2017-11