Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I shoudn’t have taken my Lexus to a Toyota Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 04:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
I’m trying to decide if you were ‘tongue-in-cheeking’ me with that question or if you were asking a serious question.

Assuming the latter, since they had line-item$ for oil disposal in both bills - and the service was simply fluid changes - and since it is beyond my comprehension as to how anyone could really use more than just rags to do the job (unless they drain the oil on the shop floor, and throw down several bags of costly Oil-Dri) - then the only thing left, logically, was the cocoa and cookies.

And thank you LexBob2 for that useful bit of information.
I said that because I thought that part of your email was the wrong thing to do. Listing out all the services you have done and the fact that you take your Lexus to a cheaper Toyota dealer makes me wonder why you are so cocncered with a small charge. I didn't understand the reference to peanut butter cookies and stuff. Seeing the response from the dealer, they clearly don't want your business. I thought it could of been handled a bit better. Perhaps you have some pent up anger towards them.
Old 11-16-17, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Similar to what Mike said, I'm pretty certain those who can afford a Lexus can also afford Lexus oil changes. Just my two cents.
Yes, that's certainly true....but I also believe that if a genuine opportunity to save money comes along (and not have the vehicle suffer for it), take it.

When I had my Lexus IS300, the filter and drain plug were in a difficult position to reach without ramps or a lift, so I decided to take up the offer of a personal friend of mine, who was the Service Manager at a local Toyota shop (my late mother had bought her Corolla wagon there, and I myself had bought an earlier Celica). He said his Toyota shop could do all the service and minor-repairs for about 50-60% of what a Lexus shop would charge, except for warranty stuff, which had to be re-imbursed through a Lexus dealer. And, he delivered....I owned the car for about 5 years, and had regular service done there without any problems at all. Toyota shops, of course, use the same fluids, filters, and regular maintenance-parts as Lexus shops do...for less money. All of the guys in the Toyota shop loved that car and its bright-yellow paint, since the similar Toyota Altezza was not available in the U.S....they looked forward to every time I brought it in. Of course, there are some differences between the particular experience I had with that specific Toyota dealership and what the OP, above had with his Toyota shop.....the OP was clearly not on a first-name basis with the shop's manager like I was, and apparently did not have the same relationship.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 05:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
I’m trying to decide if you were ‘tongue-in-cheeking’ me with that question or if you were asking a serious question.

Assuming the latter, since they had line-item$ for oil disposal in both bills - and the service was simply fluid changes - and since it is beyond my comprehension as to how anyone could really use more than just rags to do the job (unless they drain the oil on the shop floor, and throw down several bags of costly Oil-Dri) - then the only thing left, logically, was the cocoa and cookies.

And thank you LexBob2 for that useful bit of information.
I was responding to Coleroad's mention of a Zeigler dealership.
Old 11-16-17, 05:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Many on here have professed taking a Lexus to Toyota for service. This may be okay in some cases, but I still would not recommend it. There is a definite higher standard at Lexus, period. I think it's worth a few bucks more to avoid any potential BS that may be more common at lower tier places. Similar to what Mike said, I'm pretty certain those who can afford a Lexus can also afford Lexus oil changes. Just my two cents.
I am a long term Toyota owner and an occasional Lexus owner over the years. I have always taken my cars to the same Toyota/Lexus dealer in Toronto for my whole life. Very rarely have I gone somewhere else. I think there is a benefit of going to a Toyota or Lexus dealer. At my dealer, which is a split there is a Toyota bay and separate Lexus bay under the same roof. I can tell you first hand on the Lexus side of things, the mechanics have their name on a sign above the bay with their years of service. No other mechanic is allowed to use the bay. It's sort of like an office for the mechanic. Over on the Toyota side, there are a few bays with mechanics names and service but not every bay. Owning a Lexus and some Toyota models should be a special experience. Having the option of having the same mechanic work on your vehicle and more importantly having the dealer treat the mechanics like a white collar employee (having their own office, although it's a mechanic bay) speaks volumes. I believe going there is well worth it.

My husband on the other hand goes to various places in the Rochester. He doesn't care.
Old 11-16-17, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am a long term Toyota owner and an occasional Lexus owner over the years. I have always taken my cars to the same Toyota/Lexus dealer in Toronto for my whole life.
That must be something unique to Canada. I can't recall seeing a Lexus split-dealership like that here in the U.S....from what I've seen, they are all stand-alone. In fact, I might be wrong, but I think that Lexus actually requires that of U.S. franchises. Longo Lexus and Longo Toyota, in El Monte, CA, for example, are two very well-known dealerships, and their two very large complexes share a common large mall, but still have separate buildings and are considered separate franchises.
Old 11-16-17, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That must be something unique to Canada. I can't recall seeing a Lexus split-dealership like that here in the U.S....from what I've seen, they are all stand-alone. In fact, I might be wrong, but I think that Lexus actually requires that of U.S. franchises. Longo Lexus and Longo Toyota, in El Monte, CA, for example, are two very well-known dealerships, and their two very large complexes share a common large mall, but still have separate buildings and are considered separate franchises.
There are a few split dealers left. From the outside of this one, it has a sort of illusion that they are separated. But they are not. You can enter either showroom however you just have to make the effort to get into the other showroom. Same with the service areas.
Old 11-16-17, 07:24 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Toyota dealer will not service Lexus. However the price between a Lexus dealer and my trusted mechanic is "within the ball park". For example today I went to get all my spark plugs changed and my local mechanic charged $450 vs Lexus Dealership $550. I know in couple instances where the dealership is cheaper than my mechanic but I like to keep the monies local when it's not to far of a spread. I also appreciate my local mechanic for sometimes doing things without charge. Today my radiator filler neck was leaking with the temp gauge bouncing up & down almost redlining. I rolled into his lot and popped the hood to let them engine cool and immediately saw the fluid spray on the engine. I told him the part was available next door (I had called ahead of time) and he told me to go pick it up. Changed it out in fifteen minutes, (after letting it cool down) filled the radiator with fluid and I was rolling within a hour...kinda.
As a funny side note before I left I saw there were no cars in the bay and his guys were doing "busy" work. I asked if his guys needed work. He laughed. I asked if radiator flush would be appropriate and he said yes. Well he came back with bad news and said my water pump was leaking and it's wouldn't be worth flushing the radiator since that would have to be done while changing the water pump. That's Integrity. Gotta love a guy bringing good news.
Old 11-17-17, 04:23 AM
Sport68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop Problems

Zeigler, I would not boast about those dealerships. I took my 2006 Jeep Rubicon to their Plainwell Jeep Dealership for a oil change and alignment. They wanted to take it to a ford Dealer in Kalamazoo for the alignment. Now I just drive past Zeigler wondering how they stay in business.

I had trouble at Metro as well after a heart to heart talk with no BS involved. They understand me and I get better service and certain people working on my truck.
Old 11-17-17, 05:28 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

I feel like the point here is he has seen the charges for the exact same service go up exponentially in a couple of years and is asking "why" and not getting a satisfactory answer... To me, this appears to be much more about principle instead of what someone can or can't afford. If I'm interpreting his post correctly, I'd gladly take my business elsewhere and even pay a premium to do so given how he was treated. If a business does something you don't agree with and treats you poorly, vote with your wallet. Why would you tolerate it and not stand up for yourself? My local Lexus dealer treated me so poorly about 6 years ago that I emailed the GM a copy of the cashier's check when we bought our LX from a competing dealership. I wanted him to understand that I was serious when I said I'd never come back and the way they treat customers has an impact on them losing a sale and all subsequent service.
Old 11-17-17, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I feel like the point here is he has seen the charges for the exact same service go up exponentially in a couple of years and is asking "why" and not getting a satisfactory answer... To me, this appears to be much more about principle instead of what someone can or can't afford. If I'm interpreting his post correctly, I'd gladly take my business elsewhere and even pay a premium to do so given how he was treated. If a business does something you don't agree with and treats you poorly, vote with your wallet. Why would you tolerate it and not stand up for yourself? My local Lexus dealer treated me so poorly about 6 years ago that I emailed the GM a copy of the cashier's check when we bought our LX from a competing dealership. I wanted him to understand that I was serious when I said I'd never come back and the way they treat customers has an impact on them losing a sale and all subsequent service.
The point, though, is...........if more and more shops now are doing the same shop-disposal fees, it becomes more difficult to vote with your wallet.
Old 11-17-17, 06:14 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

The point, though, is...........if more and more shops now are doing the same shop-disposal fees, it becomes more difficult to vote with your wallet.
True, but what would make me mad about this situation is how the dealership responded to his question saying it was "normal." That's the whole point- the OP knows the $27 charge was not normal considering he had his oil changed 5,000 miles earlier and didn't have that fee. If I didn't get an answer that I liked to that question, I'd be gone. And gladly paying a premium somewhere else that takes better care of me and gives me confidence they're being honest. If you are shady about small things, you'll be really shady about big things. I'd move on.
Old 11-17-17, 06:36 AM
Tamy913
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I agree with your statement. It's not that he is being petty or can't afford to pay the fee. It's more the principle. If you feel you are not getting your money's worth or are not being treated fairly as a customer definitely take your business elsewhere.

Prior to buying my Lexus, my wife and I were set on getting 3 series. We were treated so poorly in the BMW dealership that we drove 10 mins away and bought an IS200t. The BMW manager was apologetic but they missed out on a sale and will never earn my business.
Old 11-17-17, 06:43 AM
Tamy913
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Yes, that's certainly true....but I also believe that if a genuine opportunity to save money comes along (and not have the vehicle suffer for it), take it.
Agree 100% mmarshall
Old 11-17-17, 08:00 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm sided with the OP on this issue. It is not about the 28 bucks but it is more about the principle here and the "it's normal" answer.
Old 11-17-17, 01:25 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Thoughts on this notion of affording this and that. As a general rule, I think most people do care what something costs. If Greenwich CT charges $160 for an oil change, and Bloomfield NJ charges $54.95 (real numbers in 2012) on a 6 cyl. BMW, it doesn't make sense to say if you can afford a BMW, you can pay $160 for an oil change. I just got all my $64 in rebates for 6 5 qt jugs of oil. 2 Mobil 1 @ $12 ea, 4 Pennzoil Platinum @ $10 ea. Each jug cost $22.xx from Walmart. Neither of these are approved for the BMW so they won't get put in the 335, but I still have older Mobil 1 LL-01 which also cost the same amount and had a $12 ea. rebate. This is what my mom would do, this is what my dad would do. Perhaps they grew up in another time when saving money was en vogue. I own a BMW and I own a Lexus, and I certainly cannot afford to pay $160 for an oil change. WIX XP oil filter for $6.49? You bet I'll do all our cars myself.

My neighbor told me, his pension isn't that great (haha $3k/mo.), and he inherited (put it together over various conversations) 1/8 of 2 mil. from his uncle, saved all his life, and his only indulgence is golf. I ask him, what year is the Mercury again? He goes 2000. With 42k miles. That's old school. I don't think he can afford a $160 oil change either.

Now again I don't get Toyota, they told me they work on any brand of car and install customer parts. Why would an authorized new car dealer do that? Anyway, it sounds good, until one realizes they don't know what they're doing. At least the dealer near me, and I did try them on a state inspection for my Lexus.

Quick Reply: I shoudn’t have taken my Lexus to a Toyota Dealer