Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mazda6 (gets a more powerful engine option finally)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 01:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think anyone drives with hands at 10 and 2. Most people have their hands down low on the wheel, resting between the spokes. I don't see a problem with the four-spoke wheels here. For reference, the above A8 pic is of the out-going model. The new model has a redesigned four-spoke wheel, and it's lower spokes have been moved higher up. Most full-sized sedans in this class still use four-spoke wheels. The redesigned A8 also added important and ergonomic touch information in the giant hole left alone on the outgoing model and with the new Mazda 6.
Old 11-17-17, 06:54 AM
Tamy913
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That hp and torque on a 3250lbs car should make it a fun car to drive around.. compared to an is200t for example which is heavier and has much less torque.
Old 11-17-17, 09:50 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't think anyone drives with hands at 10 and 2. Most people have their hands down low on the wheel, resting between the spokes. I don't see a problem with the four-spoke wheels here. For reference, the above A8 pic is of the out-going model. The new model has a redesigned four-spoke wheel, and it's lower spokes have been moved higher up. Most full-sized sedans in this class still use four-spoke wheels. The redesigned A8 also added important and ergonomic touch information in the giant hole left alone on the outgoing model and with the new Mazda 6.
this sounds weirdddd.. but if not 10 and 2, where?

I am more of 9:15 and 2:45 kinda guy... maybe 9 and 3

I definitely am not 6 o'clock or noon guy though... too gansta.
Old 11-17-17, 09:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamy913
That hp and torque on a 3250lbs FWD car should make it a fun an interesting car to drive around.. compared to an is200t for example which is heavier, RWD and has much less torque.
Fixed it for you.
Old 11-18-17, 01:43 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

torque steer will be interesting indeed

i wonder if front wheel burnouts will be possible
Old 11-19-17, 06:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I wonder what the torque will be. Maybe detuned a bit to help with torque steer.
Old 11-20-17, 04:16 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

It's great news for the Mazda 6! Hope they offer it with a 6-speed manual trim level. I can wish for a mechanical LSD and summer tire option package to go with it. Doubtful on the LSD but that and a manual transmission with the turbo would be perfect and one up the Accord 2.0T 6-speed M/T.
Old 11-20-17, 06:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It's great news for the Mazda 6! Hope they offer it with a 6-speed manual trim level. I can wish for a mechanical LSD and summer tire option package to go with it. Doubtful on the LSD but that and a manual transmission with the turbo would be perfect and one up the Accord 2.0T 6-speed M/T.
No manual on top trim unfortunately.
Old 11-20-17, 10:06 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Manual gearboxes have been superseded by dual clutch autos, similar to those used in Formula 1 racing, because DCT's are presently the quickest transmissions on the planet with gear changes in just 8 millisecods.

However, DCT's have not replaced the torque converter with epicyclic gears, because like anything, DCT's have their share of issues including wet multiplate clutch pack slippage, overheating, burning, wear & reliability issues - at low speeds as the vehicle creeps/crawls.

DCT's will hunt, clunk & shudder.
DCT's will lurch during parking, making inch maneuvers impossible.

However, DCT's are great for F1 racing & hi end sports cars.

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-20-17 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-25-17, 08:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by situman
All that low rpm torque in a front wheel drive car. Do you really want to smash the throttle?
Originally Posted by Tamy913
That hp and torque on a 3250lbs car should make it a fun car to drive around.. compared to an is200t for example which is heavier and has much less torque.
Originally Posted by pman6
torque steer will be interesting indeed
i wonder if front wheel burnouts will be possible
Originally Posted by JDR76
I wonder what the torque will be. Maybe detuned a bit to help with torque steer.
No need to worry about high torque in Mazda's FWD layout. As in their MazdaSpeed series cars, they will electronically squash HP and torque in the lower gears making them more manageable to drive. Ridiculous antics, if you ask me. Make the car RWD/AWD or just don't do it.
Old 11-25-17, 04:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
No need to worry about high torque in Mazda's FWD layout. As in their MazdaSpeed series cars, they will electronically squash HP and torque in the lower gears making them more manageable to drive. Ridiculous antics, if you ask me. Make the car RWD/AWD or just don't do it.
Very true. Unfortunately this is where the limitations of a platform start to show up. The Mazda sedan/suv line is FWD/transverse engine layout which is a comprise when it comes to pumping up engine power. Audi used longitudinal drive trains for this very reason in its sedan/suv lineup with permanently engaged AWD (although this is changing with just longitudinal FWD and slip/grip no center differential on the entry level cars).

The MazdaSpeed 3 for eg. has torque steer issues because it's just so much power in such a light car. The MazdaSpeed 6 mitigated that with AWD but that too was FWD until the car's brain decided to start splitting the torque. Those cars were basically transverse engine layout and slip/grip tech to divide the torque.

I think they'll just cut down on the torque for the 6 in this application but at least it's much better than just a 4 cylinder with no other options as it stands now.
Old 11-25-17, 06:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
What is the use then of putting in an engine with that much power, if you cannot use it or the automaker does not let you use it?
Old 11-25-17, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What is the use then of putting in an engine with that much power, if you cannot use it or the automaker does not let you use it?
Old 11-25-17, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Manual gearboxes have been superseded by dual clutch autos, similar to those used in Formula 1 racing, because DCT's are presently the quickest transmissions on the planet with gear changes in just 8 millisecods.

However, DCT's have not replaced the torque converter with epicyclic gears, because like anything, DCT's have their share of issues including wet multiplate clutch pack slippage, overheating, burning, wear & reliability issues - at low speeds as the vehicle creeps/crawls.

DCT's will hunt, clunk & shudder.
DCT's will lurch during parking, making inch maneuvers impossible.

However, DCT's are great for F1 racing & hi end sports cars.
perhaps you've never driven a golf gti or golf r with dct (dsg) because it exhibits NONE of those issues.
Old 11-25-17, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

while the mazda 6 is a nice looking car, it's still a fwd car, so putting a more powerful engine in it isn't all that great without front lsd or awd, etc.

Quick Reply: 2018 Mazda6 (gets a more powerful engine option finally)