Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mazda6 (gets a more powerful engine option finally)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 03:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Dang, they wrecked the interior. Now there's a huge swath of NOTHING, right at the most important, most accessible, most useful part of the dash. I just can't see how anyone could have approved that. The current set-up was fine.
Also note, this is the 6's second facelift. Should have been an all new model by now or soon, which is what many mags were predicting not too long ago. Adding more horsepower is not enough to gain sales, especially in light of the all-new Accord and Camry.
Not impressed with these missteps.
Old 11-16-17, 05:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Seems like car cos. are burying the countries of origin for vehicles now. Just off the top of my head, I thought that all 3's were made in Japan, and 6's were made in Japan and USA. The latter is a deal breaker for me, I wouldn't want to have to check the VIN to ensure my car is made in Japan. And it seems like a stick ensures you have no xenon headlamps, which is poor. I think they removed these from 3's as they used to have xenons and manuals...show me a car that offers value and was not a victim of cost cutting, and I'll likely buy it. Otherwise I'd rather simply spend $80k on a M3 sedan (wife says she doesn't feel this would be wise but do it if you really think you have to--heck it's a 12k savings over a 4 cyl. Boxster S)
Old 11-16-17, 06:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Read at another source that it makes more power on 93 than on regular. Goes to show you that premium fuel does still make a difference

http://driving.ca/mazda/mazda6/auto-...inspired-looks
Yes on boosted applications higher octane makes a big difference. On Supra I run 93 Octane or E85 and E98 (105 Octane and 110 + Octane). Car makes most power on E98 low 8XX at wheels. The minimum I can run in car is 93 Octane and makes mid 5XX at wheels there. On GS I've always run 93 Octane never tried anything lower.
Old 11-16-17, 06:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Yes on boosted applications higher octane makes a big difference. On Supra I run 93 Octane or E85 and E98 (105 Octane and 110 + Octane). Car makes most power on E98 low 8XX at wheels. The minimum I can run in car is 93 Octane and makes mid 5XX at wheels there. On GS I've always run 93 Octane never tried anything lower.
The requirement on my 335i is 89 octane, so per the mfg it cannot be run on regular. That's not a good design as you know what some who leased the car or had them as loaners would have done (filled with 87). Mercedes Benz once made a statement that we sell vehicles in nearly every country in the world, many of which do not have premium fuel available, so all our models can be run on regular.

This is a topic of course that has been kicked to death, and it really seems that "octane" is often misconstrued as measuring goodness. The example I like to use is the 2015 vs. 2016 VW GTI. Identical vehicles. the 2015 says premium on the fuel door, the 2016 says regular on the fuel door. And yes, the vehicle needs 91 octane to make the HP/torque numbers it advertises....
Old 11-16-17, 06:17 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The requirement on my 335i is 89 octane, so per the mfg it cannot be run on regular. That's not a good design as you know what some who leased the car or had them as loaners would have done (filled with 87). Mercedes Benz once made a statement that we sell vehicles in nearly every country in the world, many of which do not have premium fuel available, so all our models can be run on regular.

This is a topic of course that has been kicked to death, and it really seems that "octane" is often misconstrued as measuring goodness. The example I like to use is the 2015 vs. 2016 VW GTI. Identical vehicles. the 2015 says premium on the fuel door, the 2016 says regular on the fuel door. And yes, the vehicle needs 91 octane to make the HP/torque numbers it advertises....
I agree with you some people just don't care and run the cheapest gas possible.
Old 11-16-17, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I agree with you some people just don't care and run the cheapest gas possible.
That's one reason why electronic engine controls were developed......to retard the timing when ping or knock was detected. Also, so that engines, if they crossed the border, could run on the crap fuel that is sold in Mexico.
Old 11-16-17, 06:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's one reason why electronic engine controls were developed......to retard the timing when ping or knock was detected. Also, so that engines, if they crossed the border, could run on the crap fuel that is sold in Mexico.
Yup, I have an AEM Infinity in Supra it automatically adjusts boost and timing based on Ethanol reading.
Old 11-16-17, 07:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

On the octane thing, I think it's good when a vehicle is designed for 87....in such a vehicle, it's of no benefit to run 91 or 93....seems like many GM cars are like that, Honda too I believe? Buying premium I feel second class with the crazy pricing (some stations are like 70 cents more?), so I have to go to Costco to contain the price.

I like to understand things, that's me. A guy explained to me that a co. installed 3X the number of wireless access points than recommended, and nobody could get on to the wireless. I said why is that? Surely the signal must be very strong? He said it is, yet nobody can connect--if they turn off 2/3 access points, they would be able to connect. But they said they can't do that, and so nobody can do any work. After listening to his engineering-based explanation, I realized, hot d***!! I myself used signal strength, as a measure of goodness (always thought -67db means good, -40 excellent). In this scenario there are no spots worse than -40). Moral....signal strength is not a measure of goodness, nor is octane, they have very specific meanings....
Old 11-16-17, 08:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Driving the CX-9 2.5L Turbo around town, there is plenty of bottom end response, torque and smoothness; I can't feel any turbo lag at all.
However, press hard on the right foot, and the engine becomes loud, harsh and it reminds you that this is a large capacity 4 cylinder engine.

My wife's IS200t?
Driving gently around town, both throttle response is laggy, while the torque is lethargic, but worse is some type of droning noise - tiring.
However, press hard on the right foot, and the engine delivers much more acceleration than the CX-9, but the 2.0T spins silkily smooth and is relatively quiet; this is as good as a four cylinder can get.

My last test drive of BMW's 2.0T, it was lethargic down low, but higher up in the rev range, the turbo would give a big kick.

It's been a while since I drove Mercedes 2.0T in C and E Class, but I suspect that Benz 2.0T has the best of both worlds, but I would have to test drive them again to confirm.
All that low rpm torque in a front wheel drive car. Do you really want to smash the throttle?
Old 11-16-17, 11:34 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Dang, they wrecked the interior. Now there's a huge swath of NOTHING, right at the most important, most accessible, most useful part of the dash. I just can't see how anyone could have approved that. The current set-up was fine.
Also note, this is the 6's second facelift. Should have been an all new model by now or soon, which is what many mags were predicting not too long ago. Adding more horsepower is not enough to gain sales, especially in light of the all-new Accord and Camry.
Not impressed with these missteps.
yeah man, they could have moved the a/c controls higher, added CD player, and had a huge cubby hole underneath.

This alcantera is the top spec. I wonder how the lower trims will look without that leather covering.

I guess they were thinking like Audi putting nothing in the middle...
Old 11-16-17, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Agreed. The new dash looks alike something out of a 12K econobox. And that tacked-on video screen doesn't do it any favors, either.
Old 11-16-17, 12:40 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
yeah man, they could have moved the a/c controls higher, added CD player, and had a huge cubby hole underneath.

This alcantera is the top spec. I wonder how the lower trims will look without that leather covering.

Odd that the Audi has a 4 spoke steering wheel, imho it encourages improper hand placement. Since 1992 (25 years), people have been told not to place their hands at 10 and 12. Yet every single day on my commute, I see people doing so.
Old 11-16-17, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Odd that the Audi has a 4 spoke steering wheel, imho it encourages improper hand placement. Since 1992 (25 years), people have been told not to place their hands at 10 and 12. Yet every single day on my commute, I see people doing so.
Did you mean 10 and 2?
Old 11-16-17, 12:58 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Did you mean 10 and 2?
yep, 10 and 2! Just say no! It's been 25 years that drivers have been instructed not to
Old 11-16-17, 01:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

The new upcoming A8 interior has basically nothing now too, just a touch screen for all the buttons and functions that make it look really empty and plain.

Quick Reply: 2018 Mazda6 (gets a more powerful engine option finally)