Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mazda6 (gets a more powerful engine option finally)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 07:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Mazda 6 sells horrible in US because its lease deals are $100-150 more than similar priced Accord / Camry.
Old 03-15-18, 10:02 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
$35K Mazda6, whoa
Look at the top Camry or Accord prices and this is right in line. The reserve gets you all the top stuff at $32K.
Old 03-16-18, 08:04 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Mazda 6 sells horrible in US because its lease deals are $100-150 more than similar priced Accord / Camry.

i had no idea so many people leased camcords

but still, the mazda6 sport trim is a value with all that standard equipment, and the refresh looks pretty timeless
Old 03-16-18, 08:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How does the Mazda 6 sell? It has an unlimited warranty in Canada but not in the USA. Makes wonder how its doing..
unlimited warranty? damn, I'd jump all over that!

EDIT: eh, just unlimited miles.

Mazda Unlimited Mileage Warranty

Standard on all new models
Mazda vehicles are designed to be driven, and to prove it, we’ve introduced Mazda Unlimited – the only warranty program of its kind in Canada.

Mazda Unlimited features unlimited mileage for our 3-YEAR New Vehicle, 3-YEAR Roadside Assistance, 5-YEAR Powertrain and 7-YEAR Anti-Perforation warranties, so you can focus on every thrilling moment spent behind the wheel instead of the odometer.

Standard on all new models
Old 03-16-18, 08:59 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
unlimited warranty? damn, I'd jump all over that!

EDIT: eh, just unlimited miles.
This is a marketing ploy to attract buyers. Other than the Mazda 3 and CX-5, other models do not sell particularly well.
Old 03-16-18, 11:00 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that's up to people I guess it has nothing to do with the vehicle. 18MY Mazda 6 is following CX-9 in terms of offering premium interior quality for the price of economy mid size sedan just like Camry. Believe me when I say this but facelifted Mazda 6 has the better switchgear than IS, they've copied Audi quite well everything has weight to it, cold on touch and has satisfying click. Their 2.5 Turbo is better than any other four banger turbo on the market including premium segment (that includes BMW as well). In my opinion its the best four cylinder you can buy today if you expect 50:50 balance between performance and efficiency.

What's wrong with Mazda 6 is packaging in US and from what I can see it will remain so. I have no clue why they want you to buy Reserve package with microfiber trim in order to get 360 camera which should have been included in middle trim or offered as a part of option package at least. Before 360 camera it was the keyless entry which required a top trim and so on.
Old 03-16-18, 02:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Source
Old 03-16-18, 03:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly no AWD option to match up to the turbo as was rumored a few months ago. Mazda's engineers claim that the current archictecture can't accept the AWD hardware. Still one of the nicest looking of all the family sedans. Really limits it in the snow belt, so that means Mazda customers move over to the crossover line.
Old 03-16-18, 04:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I was just reading C&D's write up on the new Mazda6 and they rate the segment: 1. Accord 2. Mazda6 3. Malibu 4. Camry 5. Optima.
Old 03-16-18, 04:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i doubt 100% of sales are leases at this segment... in any case, there are huge deals on Mazda 6, they are practically giving it away right now and they sold 2.2k in Feb 2018. So it is terrible.

I guess that reasons are much deeper than just lease price.

In any case, it is my favorite sedan in Europe right now... it is priced high here but it also holds its value well.
Old 03-16-18, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
In any case, it is my favorite sedan in Europe right now... it is priced high here but it also holds its value well.
More so than the Opel Insignia?
Old 03-16-18, 05:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
More so than the Opel Insignia?
of course... poor reliability of Insignias drive the resale price terribly down. Like all Opels, they do great first year or two and then become strictly fleet models.
GM did not get rid of Opel for no reason, they could not figure out how to make it profitable - meaning keep factories working at optimum and yet selling without huge discounts.

I know you like Buicks, but personally I was never fan of Opel, especially latest cars are very americanized.

Mazda 6 is beautiful inside and out, to me it is way better looking than Insignia and it holds its value much better.
Old 03-16-18, 09:58 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The Mazda 6 is everything the press says they want in a car. It looks great and is the best handling of the FWD family sedans. The issue here seems to be the tight back seat and jittery ride. Altima may be bland, but it is roomy and smooth. Camry (until this year) was also roomy and smooth. Buyers in this class seem to want an appliance that gets them to their destination safely, reliably, and comfortably. A great driving experience is not high on many lists.

The Mazda 6 has a new challenger now. The base KIA Stinger is about the same price and offers much better driving experience with its rear wheel drive design.
Old 03-18-18, 07:51 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Mazda 6 is everything the press says they want in a car. It looks great and is the best handling of the FWD family sedans. The issue here seems to be the tight back seat and jittery ride. Altima may be bland, but it is roomy and smooth. Camry (until this year) was also roomy and smooth. Buyers in this class seem to want an appliance that gets them to their destination safely, reliably, and comfortably. A great driving experience is not high on many lists.

The Mazda 6 has a new challenger now. The base KIA Stinger is about the same price and offers much better driving experience with its rear wheel drive design.
Comparably equipped Stinger 2.0 Premium is $5,000 more and you still miss out on some features like HUD, 360 camera, 19" wheels and ventilated seats to name the few. But Stinger is an awesome car .. with 19" wheels everything below that looks unfitting. All jokes aside if I was in the market for midsize sedan Stinger would be on my list right next to Mazda 6, Lexus GS and ... ahmmmm facelifted RLX Hybrid. New A6 is pedestrian but still a very good sedan, I'm also secretly in love wit Q70 as well as Genesis G80. Too bad I'm never in the market for a midsize car as I always come up with something else instead. Coupes are my lust and no matter how I hate them once I get them I just can't get off of them.
Old 03-18-18, 08:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun

I agree. I would also add the Mazda 6 also starts are $2500-$3000 less than a Camry and Accord and a little higher than than a Sonata. I always had the perception the 6 started at more than a Camry or Accord until reading the latest news in this thread.

Quick Reply: 2018 Mazda6 (gets a more powerful engine option finally)