Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traded our Kia Sedona in on a Chrysler Pacifica today...

Old 11-11-17, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts
Default Traded our Kia Sedona in on a Chrysler Pacifica today...plus ongoing experience

After a horrible run around with a Chrysler dealer (thats a story for another thread) I did successfully trade the Sedona in on a new Pacifica today. Overall we were happy with the Sedona, but with 4 months remaining on the lease, and the front brakes grinding, tires breaking loose in the rain, rear parking sensors not working (blasting a loud constant beep whenever you reverse) it was time to make it happen. We put 24,800 miles on the Sedona over 32 months.

The Pacifica is a leftover 2017 model, Limited with the Advanced Tech (radar cruise, lane keep assist, etc) and uConnect theatre package (rear seat entertainment. Got a great deal on it, sticker just under $49k, before TTL $37k. We leased again for 36 months. Its red with a black interior, color options were a little scarce since it was a leftover 2017 but my wife liked this, so this we bought.

Haven't driven it much yet, but overall its a much more refined driving vehicle than the Sedona. Not quite as good looking, or as nice inside though. Technologywise, its better. Similar uConnect system to what we had in the 2014 Grand Cherokee, switchgear and all very similar so not a lot to get used to. Couple little things will take some getting used to coming from the Kia, which is always the case when you switch brands. Happy to have a couple little tech things back we we had on the Jeep but were missing on the Sedona, automatic wipers is one, remote start with an app is another. Oddly enough thats one area I can say shockingly that another company is behind Lexus, I like Lexus' enform app better than uConnect. First car I've had with active lane keep assist. Jury is out on that LOL

Anyways, stow and go seating is great, although it means the middle row seats are nowhere near as comfortable as the lounge seating with ottomans and all in the Kia. No matter, they have carseats installed all the time anyways. Access to the third row with carseats in is a breeze, just as we had hoped.

Will update everybody as time goes on, but overall I enjoy driving this a lot more than the Sedona. Little things, it has a nice thick steering wheel while the Sedona's wheel was really thin. Ride is much better, its quieter, steering is better weighted. All in all just feels like a much more premium vehicle.

Here is a picture from when we picked it up:

Stock Photo:

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-03-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 07:46 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Congrats! Were you tempted at all by the hybrid? We were going to go that way if we didn't want to opt for the magic slides in the Odyssey
Old 11-11-17, 07:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Congrats on the Pacifica. I look forward to your comments and updates.
Old 11-11-17, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Congrats! Were you tempted at all by the hybrid? We were going to go that way if we didn't want to opt for the magic slides in the Odyssey
Not really...if my wife fills up twice a month thats a big fuel month for her, and if the van was garaged we might have considered it more for the plug in. You also loose the stow n go seats. We won't use them much, by my wife likes the bins in the floor to store stuff.

The other thing is the money factors on the hybrid are WAY more than the gas van. My MF was .00002 and the hybrid was like .00240, negating any fuel savings.

Overall I would have preferred the Odyssey, but the lack of a surround view camera was a deal breaker for my wife, and with this deal the Odyssey would have been WAY more expensive.
Old 11-11-17, 08:06 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

A horrible run around with a Cry Slur dealer

What a surprise
Old 11-11-17, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations, Steve. Just as you strongly felt I would end up with a Lacrosse, despite your (initial) attraction to the Odyssey, I felt equally strong you'd probably end up with a Pacifica. I know you and your wife have both liked that vehicle from the start. I do, too...to an extent, though I could do without the rotary-shifter. And it's a shame that Chrysler doesn't offer those ingenious pull-down, built-in Child Safety seats in the minivans any more. I thought that was a superb innovation, though your kids might (?) be too big for them now....I assume they're not toddlers any more. And, speaking of nice features, does yours have the built-in vacuum-cleaner? That's something that I think the Honda Odyssey also offers.

front brakes grinding, tires breaking loose in the rain, rear parking sensors not working (blasting a loud constant beep whenever you reverse) it was time to make it happen. We put 24,800 miles on the Sedona over 32 months.
Tires worn out at 25K? Assuming you kept it in alignment, must have been some of those cheap Korean Hankooks or Kumhos that Kia sticks on some of their vehicles. They're not necessarily the worst tires on the market, but certainly not in the Michelin or Continental class. Kia puts a lot of nice things on their vehicles, but (sometimes) they skimp on the tires.

automatic wipers is one
With automatic rain-sensing wipers, try to keep the windshield as clean as possible. If and when the sensors trigger from a few drops of moisture on the windshield, the presence of dirt, film, and other materials on the windshield can cause the blades to abrade the glass as they sweep back and forth, before enough moisture builds up to help clean it off. It probably won't hurt it the first few times (especially if you aren't going to keep the van that long)...but the abrasion will show on the glass after some time, as it builds up.

overall its a much more refined driving vehicle than the Sedona. Not quite as good looking, or as nice inside though
Agreed that Kia generally has better hardware inside. Per our earlier conversations, that's one area that Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis really excel in.

Did you use the same Chrysler/Jeep dealership you did for the earlier JGC's? One thing that both dealerships and manufacturers like is repeat customers, even if they are trading in another competing brand in the meantime. Come January, they'll owe you a bunch of free auto-show passes LOL.

PM me with name/mailing-address if you want my usual complementary bottle of you-know-what. I often give that as a car-warming gift to people I've discussed new vehicles with, when they actually get their new ride. I just stocked up on it today, at Giant Food....one of the few places that still carry it. (also helps me get Bonus-Points for Shell gas LOL)

Again, Congratulations.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-17 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 08:25 PM
Ispeedca
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After my 6th dodge chrysler van i decided this was going to be it and bough a Highlander.. never looked back or changed it. I find you very brave to go on and tackle the new models. I also have to add that the new model looks amazing.
Old 11-11-17, 08:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not really...if my wife fills up twice a month thats a big fuel month for her, and if the van was garaged we might have considered it more for the plug in. You also loose the stow n go seats. We won't use them much, by my wife likes the bins in the floor to store stuff.

The other thing is the money factors on the hybrid are WAY more than the gas van. My MF was .00002 and the hybrid was like .00240, negating any fuel savings.

Overall I would have preferred the Odyssey, but the lack of a surround view camera was a deal breaker for my wife, and with this deal the Odyssey would have been WAY more expensive.
Makes sense to me. And I agree with your wife, a surround view camera would be a great addition to the Odyssey. Enjoy the Pacifica!
Old 11-11-17, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ispeedca
After my 6th dodge chrysler van i decided this was going to be it and bough a Highlander..
Years ago, Chrysler minivans went through automatic transmissions like free beer at Clancy's Bar, but that problem has pretty much been licked on the more recent ones. The factory, to save money, essentially used sedan transmissions in larger, heavier minivans that were intended to carry a lot more load in both passengers and cargo. It simply didn't work....fortunately, the factory learned from that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 09:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats! Sure looks sharp. Please keep us updated as you go along. I fear future problems may be coming up, as these continually rate below average reliability. I hope you have a different experience.
Old 11-11-17, 09:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

congrats to you and your wife on the pacifica. i've only ridden in one once and i was super impressed with the quiet, the ride, the room.
Old 11-11-17, 11:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Years ago, Chrysler minivans went through automatic transmissions like free beer at Clancy's Bar, but that problem has pretty much been licked on the more recent ones. The factory, to save money, essentially used sedan transmissions in larger, heavier minivans that were intended to carry a lot more load in both passengers and cargo. It simply didn't work....fortunately, the factory learned from that.
Pretty certain Nissan did the same thing with the Pathfinder SUV's CVT transmission. Lots of tranny problems with that model as well.

Anyways, congrats on the new van. Those new Chrysler vans sure are nice on the inside, the leather on the seats is one thing that really impressed me, it felt like straight $$$$.

While you were at the dealer, did they have any of the old body style Dodge Grand Caravans in stock???? I think they extended production on them for a year, that they are making them co-currently with the new Pacifica. Rumor is you can buy a brand new Grand Caravan for under $20,000. Which IMO is surely one of the steals of the century, especially if you need the space and are really on a budget.

Last edited by Aron9000; 11-11-17 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 11:43 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the Pacifica, enjoy it love the color, was thinking of grabbing one maybe next when our family's RAV4 lease ends, we had a minivan before going to the RAV4 and just miss the space of the minivan!
Old 11-12-17, 03:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
While you were at the dealer, did they have any of the old body style Dodge Grand Caravans in stock???? I think they extended production on them for a year, that they are making them co-currently with the new Pacifica. Rumor is you can buy a brand new Grand Caravan for under $20,000. Which IMO is surely one of the steals of the century, especially if you need the space and are really on a budget.
I brought that question up wth Steve a few months ago. From he answer he gave, he did not appear interested in technology that old, even with a healthy discount on the price. And, to get a 49K vehicle for 37K certainly isn't doing bad.
Old 11-12-17, 05:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks everybody! I tinkered around with it for several hours last night, installed the new car seats (got new boosters vs the convertible seats we had which are really big. The stationary second row in the Pacifica means there isn't as much room behind the first row as in the Sedona), so far I really like it.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations, Steve. Just as you strongly felt I would end up with a Lacrosse, despite your (initial) attraction to the Odyssey, I felt equally strong you'd probably end up with a Pacifica. I know you and your wife have both liked that vehicle from the start. I do, too...to an extent, though I could do without the rotary-shifter. And it's a shame that Chrysler doesn't offer those ingenious pull-down, built-in Child Safety seats in the minivans any more. I thought that was a superb innovation, though your kids might (?) be too big for them now....I assume they're not toddlers any more. And, speaking of nice features, does yours have the built-in vacuum-cleaner? That's something that I think the Honda Odyssey also offers.
Thankya! The built in car seats were just from another era, there is so much safety tech out there now in carseats, even if the car had those seats I'm sure we wouldn't use them. It does have the vacuum, it has everything but the upgraded audio system and the trailer hitch.

Tires worn out at 25K? Assuming you kept it in alignment, must have been some of those cheap Korean Hankooks or Kumhos that Kia sticks on some of their vehicles. They're not necessarily the worst tires on the market, but certainly not in the Michelin or Continental class. Kia puts a lot of nice things on their vehicles, but (sometimes) they skimp on the tires.
They were Continentals, the Pacifica has Kumhos which I've never had before. They weren't "worn out" but to the point where if we were keeping it I would have replaced them before winter. The Sedona also always had a tendency to break the front tires loose on any moderate to heavy acceleration from a stop, especially in the rain.

With automatic rain-sensing wipers, try to keep the windshield as clean as possible. If and when the sensors trigger from a few drops of moisture on the windshield, the presence of dirt, film, and other materials on the windshield can cause the blades to abrade the glass as they sweep back and forth, before enough moisture builds up to help clean it off. It probably won't hurt it the first few times (especially if you aren't going to keep the van that long)...but the abrasion will show on the glass after some time, as it builds up.
I've had cars with automatic wipers for almost 15 years.

Did you use the same Chrysler/Jeep dealership you did for the earlier JGC's? One thing that both dealerships and manufacturers like is repeat customers, even if they are trading in another competing brand in the meantime. Come January, they'll owe you a bunch of free auto-show passes LOL.
I tried to use the dealer where we bought the Jeep because they had a leftover 2017 in granite with the alloy interior (light) that I really liked. We went back and forth for a week despite their "WOW price" being very good and totally acceptable to me. Tried to screw me every way possible, shorted the trade despite other dealers offering me the payoff, inflating the money factor, charging the destination again as a itemized rolled in drive off cost despite it being on the sticker in the MSRP, it was a mess. Lots of time on the phone arguing with the woman, her yelling at me, me hanging up on her. She tried to tell me everybody charges destination that way, to which I informed her I've bought MANY cars and the only dealer I've ever seen do that is them. She tried to say that I wasn't paying it because I wasn't paying MSRP, to which I replied why not charge me for the wheels or other options again then? They did all the same stuff when I got the Jeep, but that was a GroupBuy through a Jeep forum and the price was so incredible the lease was cheaper than anybody else despite their shenanigans so I took it, but that wasn't the case this time. I eventually got them to cave on all of the BS.

The highlight of the experience was when the Kia payment auto paid during the deduction and my payoff was $600 less than it was when they agreed to give me the payoff and I suggested we do my Pacifica lease as a zero drive off since the payoff was now $600 less (actually coming out better for them), the woman flips out and truly asked "if your payoff was suddenly $5,000 less would you expect me to credit you that $5,000?!" Uh, OF COURSE?!?! Who wouldn't expect that LMAO! Clowns. Funniest thing is had I said nothing, they would have just refunded me that money when they found the payoff was lower in accounting after the deal was done.

Anyways, I went in to pick up the car, and turns out that the car we had been negotiating back and forth on for a week, manager involved, etc...CAN'T BE SOLD! It was returned by a previous buyer for a fault with the uConnect system. All of that for absolutely nothing! Crazy.

Anyways went to this dealer, I know the president's husband and got a better deal with one phone call and I think the red is better anyway...

PM me with name/mailing-address if you want my usual complementary bottle of you-know-what. I often give that as a car-warming gift to people I've discussed new vehicles with, when they actually get their new ride. I just stocked up on it today, at Giant Food....one of the few places that still carry it. (also helps me get Bonus-Points for Shell gas LOL)
Originally Posted by Ispeedca
After my 6th dodge chrysler van i decided this was going to be it and bough a Highlander.. never looked back or changed it. I find you very brave to go on and tackle the new models. I also have to add that the new model looks amazing.
The Sienna is just so old and outdated compared to the new vans. My wife insisted on another van.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Congrats! Sure looks sharp. Please keep us updated as you go along. I fear future problems may be coming up, as these continually rate below average reliability. I hope you have a different experience.
Thanks! I think we'll be fine for a 3 year lease.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
They did, it is a great deal...however they did very poorly in the small offset crash test which would negate them for me even if I were interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traded our Kia Sedona in on a Chrysler Pacifica today...