Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traded our Kia Sedona in on a Chrysler Pacifica today...

Old 11-13-17, 07:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
chrysler is constantly screwing me over lol, people believe we can discount a sienna as much as a pacifica or a highlander as much as a grand cherokee because chrysler gives a higher msrp and then discounts it more, even though there's genuinely only about a 3-7% markup in a toyota, depending on the model. there's a reason why literally every single chrysler product is at the bottom of basically every build quality, reliability, dependability survey lol... everyone who's had a dodge ram and then drives a tundra is like wow it just feels much higher quality, but the ram is so much cheaper
Interesting, my wife's cousin who's in the auto business (OEM) would concur, he claimed that Chrysler Fiat was at the bottom, GM came next....had good things to say about Toyota...just from heresay and having only driven one, I thought the Sienna though was not a good vehicle and that Odyssey was king of this segment
Old 11-13-17, 09:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

there's a reason why literally every single chrysler product is at the bottom of basically every build quality, reliability, dependability survey lol...
according to CR's recent article, only 1 of the 'bottom 10' in reliability is a Fiat (and no chryslers).
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/

and while vehicles like the tundra and sienna and tacoma may be very reliable, they're archaic and missing many modern features.
Old 11-13-17, 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

but to keep it 'fair' this article says fiat-chrysler-dodge-jeep-etc ranked bottom in 10 CR categories in 2016... (i don't know how these two links can be reconciled, but i gave up trying to make sense of CR a long time ago).

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...tml/?a=viewall
Old 11-13-17, 10:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Car and Driver seems to be progressing through their Pacific long term test without issue.

WHAT WE LIKE: While the latest Chrysler Pacifica minivan is practical, functional, and fuel efficient—and even resists stereotypes by being dynamically sound and aesthetically pleasing—the topic of most interest among potential buyers seems to be reliability. Swiftly reaching the halfway point of our 40,000-mile test, our Pacifica is perpetually active, in demand for trips near and far, and skillful at hauling cargo both sentient and otherwise. It’s also adept at switching between those transporting extremes with its fold-into-the-floor seats. Thus far, it’s been completely reliable, too, pausing only for routine service at 10,000 and 20,000 miles. The only issues, which we’ve already mentioned in previous updates, have been inconsequential: A plastic clip broke the first time we removed the panel that conceals the spare tire, and sometimes during a remote start the climate-control temperature setting annoyingly defaults to its coldest setting, which certainly works against attempts to prewarm the cabin.

WHAT WE DON’T LIKE: Although the adaptive cruise control works as well as any, and it’s easy to switch back to standard cruise control when desired, the Pacifica often surges forward with far too much power when a gap in traffic opens, then quickly ramps the power back down when it realizes it wasn’t needed to reach the set speed. We’ve also had reports of front-seat passengers mistakenly grabbing for the rotary shift **** when intending to adjust the radio volume, and we don’t like that the navigation system won’t display both the remaining distance and arrival time concurrently. Or that the Wi-Fi password can’t be viewed while the vehicle is moving.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Nada. We stopped for that 20,000-mile regular service just ahead of an adventurous staffer’s departure for two weeks of close-proximity family bonding on a trip to Wyoming and Idaho. This service included the replacement of the cabin air filter in addition to an oil-and-filter change, a tire rotation, and various inspections, which is why it cost more ($167) than our first stop ($86).
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-update-review
Old 11-13-17, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Minivans have great utility. Let's say you have to go out to JFK airport at 2:30 AM to pick-up inlaws who were flight delayed by 4 hours and have just flown back from Vancouver, which would they appreciate you showing up in, a minivan, or one of them fancy Range Rover autobiography's with 67 cu. ft. of cargo? I get that minivans have a stigma, but there is as many here have mentioned, a reason why they're so popular.
I'd much rather be driven home in the Range Rover Autobiography lol. Plenty of room to carry any luggage that any reasonable couple would travel with, and much more comfortable than the best minivan, Autobiography has the lounge seating in the back...

If you're single, are you going to meet smokeshows cruising around in one? Doubtful. As a father with kids, is it going to present great utility? Absolutely. There are different tools for every job, having the right one makes life more pleasant.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow you made the move! We still have 10 months left on our Kia so I’m still in research stage on my wife's Next ride. Surprised you leased the Kia 6 months before me, since I thought it was more like 3 months lol. Wonder how much I would lose if I do it now, with 10 months lease left... Well, my wife just hit a drive-through pole and dented the driver side quarter panel. So we have to fix that first which I don’t have time :/
I still trying to convince my wife about the Odyssey since I think van is just so much more useful, but she had her heart dead set on a full size SUV.
I could have done it a good bit ago, I was offered my buyout on trade probably 4-5 months ago but we were just too busy to do it until now. So my guess is you could probably do it now.

Btw, I don’t understand why lot of people just assume a Chrysler product is horrible in liability. And especially for us people that lease, we don’t really care about long term liability since anything it’s covered during the 3 years of time. So unless you get a lemon, there isn’t anything to worry about lol. Feature rich and nice drive is all that matters
My only concern is it being unreliable within the warranty period. My partner's Jeep is in the shop with 27k on it for some weird engine stalling problem and they've had it a week and can't figure it out. My wife needs the van, and that would be a huge problem for us.

We shall see, fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They have a stigma only among the ignorant, and among those who think that everything should drive like a Porsche 911 (and, of course, I am not including you in that group)
Its just not a stylish vehicle. If you care about style and "lifestyle", a minivan is just never going to be your thing.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This really did happen Sunday AM @ 2:30 AM! What I was driving at was the luggage would easily fit in one vehicle, and likely be a struggle in the prestige vehicle (those Range Rovers have less usable cargo than a CR-V, but they sure look dang good!). So the former is gonna be able to get in and out fast.
The Range Rover I drove had plenty of cargo room.

chrysler is constantly screwing me over lol, people believe we can discount a sienna as much as a pacifica or a highlander as much as a grand cherokee because chrysler gives a higher msrp and then discounts it more, even though there's genuinely only about a 3-7% markup in a toyota, depending on the model. there's a reason why literally every single chrysler product is at the bottom of basically every build quality, reliability, dependability survey lol... everyone who's had a dodge ram and then drives a tundra is like wow it just feels much higher quality, but the ram is so much cheaper
Issue is, Chryslers MSRPs aren't higher than Toyotas. MSRP on my Pacifica was $48,900, a similarly equipped Sienna is very comparable. I also disagree that Chrysler products feel lower quality than comparable Toyota products, in fact my experience is the opposite. My Pacifica feels much more premium and solid and refined than a Sienna, same is true of the GC vs a Highlander for instance, which is why I chose it twice also. A Sienna would have cost me $6-7k more and I would have gotten a much older model without anywhere near as high quality of tech and adaptability, etc.

Reliability theres no question overall, but IMHO Toyota just doesn't make many truly compelling products right now.

I also disagree about the trucks, IMHO the Tundra is blown away completely by all American trucks, the Ram, F150 and Silverado.
Old 11-13-17, 12:33 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 563 Likes on 385 Posts

The Sienna was a nonstarter for us as well. It should've been redone years ago
Old 11-13-17, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
The Sienna was a nonstarter for us as well. It should've been redone years ago
Exactly, incredible they've let it drag on as long as they have.
Old 11-13-17, 01:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Actually if you slapped a 3 pointed star on the Kia's grille, I'd be thining, hmmm they sure do build a nice looking minivan! Seems like Kia and Hyundai are good at styling...
Old 11-13-17, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Sedona is the best looking minivan, it’s just still not a vehicle that you buy because you “love how it looks”. It’s a utility vehicle.
Old 11-13-17, 01:43 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 563 Likes on 385 Posts

I actually prefer the Pacifica looks over the Sedona, but agree that neither are...traditionally attractive vehicles
Old 11-13-17, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I used to call the Sedona the "least ugly" one lol
Old 11-13-17, 02:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Exterior wise I find the Sienna the best looking, followed by the Sedona, Pacifica, then Odyssey.

Interior wise I would rate them Pacifica, Odyssey, Sedona, Sienna. When we looked at them we were seriously disappointed in the Sienna's interior.

On a minivan, I would find the interior to be much more important than the exterior.
Old 11-13-17, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I actually prefer the Pacifica looks over the Sedona, but agree that neither are...traditionally attractive vehicles

By regular sedan and coupe standards, what minivan really IS attractive-looking? Though the Pacific, yes, is sleek and un-boxy by minivan standards (and I stand by my earlier comment that there ought not to be any stigma attached to minivans) let's be realistic. Minivans are built for families, and utility.....not show-stopping looks.

Having said that, though, it appears that much of the Pacifica's front-end styling came from the now-discontinued Chrysler 200 sedan....nothing wrong with that in my book, as I personally liked the 200, especially with the V6.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-13-17 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 06:58 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but to keep it 'fair' this article says fiat-chrysler-dodge-jeep-etc ranked bottom in 10 CR categories in 2016... (i don't know how these two links can be reconciled, but i gave up trying to make sense of CR a long time ago).

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...tml/?a=viewall
yea i was using chrysler as an all encompassing term including chrysler jeep dodge ram, i should go check out the pacifica because i do genuinely think it looks pretty good, but i've driven older pacificas and grand caravans that we've gotten on trade and omg what absolute pieces of garbage they were lol... i agree that ON PAPER toyota will usually compare unfavorably (more expensive for fewer features etc...) but from my experience a toyota is just nicer to use and all the various little things seem to work better and keep working better for longer. my dad's former (now my sister's) 2004 camry se v6 has just about 40,000 miles on it and still feels more or less EXACTLY the same as i can remember it always being
Old 11-13-17, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

my dad's former (now my sister's) 2004 camry se v6 has just about 40,000 miles on it and still feels more or less EXACTLY the same as i can remember it always being
40k in 13 years? That's only 3k a year and 40k is nothing so i'd hope it's in good shape!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traded our Kia Sedona in on a Chrysler Pacifica today...