Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?

out of these cars mentioned. Who is selling properly? I thought the LC was going to do 400 units a month, but I don't think it is doing very well. Kinda concerned about the new LS500 as I just don't think it will succeed from the package.

Any thoughts? From what I see, the new Lincoln seems to be doing well.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-11-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 12:54 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There are monthly sales numbers that get posted up. I knew the LC500 was not going to sell that well, it is priced too high, which is a shame because it is nice but around or over 100K for a Lexus or most brands will keep it very rare. I think CT6 sales are decent.
Old 11-11-17, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't blame me for the low sales.....I did my part LOL

No, seriously, it's pretty obvious that the Can't-Get-Enough SUV market is eating these cars for lunch. Like it or not, there is a significant chance that, of the sedans you listed, only the Camry will survive more than another year or two....I'm not sure about the LC.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
the new Lincoln seems to be doing well.
Even with the affluence and huge number of new-car sales here in the D.C. area (arguably the second-largest new-car market in the country outside of Southern California), I've yet to see but maybe two or three Continentals actually on the road...and they were painted jet-black, which suggests use as maybe limos or Executive-cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 01:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
There are monthly sales numbers that get posted up. I knew the LC500 was not going to sell that well, it is priced too high, which is a shame because it is nice but around or over 100K for a Lexus or most brands will keep it very rare. I think CT6 sales are decent.
I thought the LC would do better. It seems it is not. The Continental is doing ok?
Old 11-11-17, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Continental is doing ok?

Like I just mentioned, I've only seen two or three actually on the road in my local area...painted black, which suggests limo-use.
Old 11-11-17, 01:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I thought the LC would do better. It seems it is not. The Continental is doing ok?
I said several times it is priced too high for any kind of decent sales. Should of had a 6 cylinder priced around 70K or high 60's and a 8 cylinder in the high 70's. They will likely have to resort to 8-16K discounts on it like they have had to do on the GS-F and RC-F because they priced them too high as well.
Old 11-11-17, 01:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For rich people, when the car price hits 6-figures, they splurge on other alternatives. Why spend $110k for a lexus, when for a little more, you can get other sports cars with better performance or prestige

Merc AMG GT isn't much more money, and has equally little practicality
Old 11-11-17, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
For rich people, when the car price hits 6-figures, they splurge on other alternatives. Why spend $110k for a lexus, when for a little more, you can get other sports cars with better performance or prestige
Well, part of that depends on where one lives, and the typical driving-conditions. It doesn't make much sense to go out and spend six figures on a high-performance sports-car or exotic, when all that will happen is putting it into gridlock.
Old 11-11-17, 01:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LC is just terrible and way behind times. Camry is popular with Uber. The other three nobody cares about.
Old 11-11-17, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I said several times it is priced too high for any kind of decent sales. Should of had a 6 cylinder priced around 70K or high 60's and a 8 cylinder in the high 70's. They will likely have to resort to 8-16K discounts on it like they have had to do on the GS-F and RC-F because they priced them too high as well.
Would a V12 or a TT V8 make a diff for the LC?
Old 11-11-17, 04:58 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
LC is just terrible and way behind times. Camry is popular with Uber. The other three nobody cares about.
The LC is impressive. It's the first time I've seen Lexus create and interior that's right there with the Germans. And of course it's a great looking car.
Old 11-11-17, 05:03 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6

Merc AMG GT isn't much more money, and has equally little practicality
Both the AMG GT and S coupe start around $20-30K higher than the LC, and the 911 starts around the same price. I'm sure Lexus banked on the LC providing value over the 911 because it's more of a luxurious and comfortable grand tourer. Maybe that wasn't a great bet, especially with a grand tourer from a stronger brand (BMW 6 coupe) being shelved due to slow sales.
Old 11-11-17, 05:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sales numbers for niche luxury coupes like the LC are never going to burn up the charts. It was only introduced in May for the summer season so now that we're into winter, it's not surprising that its numbers might be down. While it's going to do well in the fancy high income postal codes in the banana belt, you have to remember a lot buyers may live in cooler climates, so that's a next year thing.

The Camry is also too new to really look at numbers. They're apparently only ramping up production in the US for it, and that means the 2018's are coming from Japan. It's also got a lot more competition these days from other car makers like Hyundai/Kia and the perennials like Fusion.

Don't know about Continental. Maybe it didn't catch on with private car buyers. Probably its retail sticker doesn't appeal to enough buyers. Domestic CT6 and Lacrosse buyers may have already migrated to the more practical and higher-step-in height of the same platform SUV/CUV.
Old 11-11-17, 05:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It would be interesting to know what the initial sales targets were for the Continental and CT6. Thru October the YTD sales of each were 9,873 Continental and 8,924 CT6. The Caddy hit the market before the Lincoln but it seems to be doing decent at about 987 per month.
Old 11-11-17, 05:28 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The Continental seems to be running about 1000 cars/mo. which is pretty good considering the crossover craze. The MKX is consistently over 2000/mo. The CT6 has been running in the 850/mo range with the XTS the best selling Cadillac sedan. It doesn't surprise me that the LC sales are low. It is a very special car that for many buyers is a 2nd car behind their Range Rover. I'd love to have one, but not at the cost of 4 years of vacation travel.

Quick Reply: CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?