Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 09:00 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The other HUGE mistake with the the LC500 besides high price and low power is the complete lack of AWD option.
Not sure what Lexus was thinking.

Most ppl will no longer touch a RWD luxury car with a 10foot pole.
There is a reason pretty much even all ///M and AMG cars will be AWD, ppl feel they are safer.
I seriously doubt your statement about "most people" and AWD. I personally don't want AWD on my car. It is heavier, slower (usually), and more complex thus less reliable than RWD. A very large portion of the population of the US now reside in areas where winter weather is not a factor. The only exceptions for me are FWD cars like Audi, Continental, etc that need the AWD for balance. The LC will never be a big seller for two main reasons: 1) It is basically a 2 seater 2) it is pretty expensive. Acura is finding the same with the NSX and it is fast and has AWD.
Steve
Old 11-17-17, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I seriously doubt your statement about "most people" and AWD. I personally don't want AWD on my car. It is heavier, slower (usually), and more complex thus less reliable than RWD. A very large portion of the population of the US now reside in areas where winter weather is not a factor. The only exceptions for me are FWD cars like Audi, Continental, etc that need the AWD for balance. The LC will never be a big seller for two main reasons: 1) It is basically a 2 seater 2) it is pretty expensive. Acura is finding the same with the NSX and it is fast and has AWD.
Steve
AWD is a boon in more conditions than just winter and snow/ice. It also can also be of significant help in rain and/or on wet roads.
Old 11-17-17, 10:09 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what a world we live in where 4.5 sec 0-60 is "slow"
Says the guy with a Viper. Lol. kidding.
Old 11-18-17, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?
We could probably wrap up this entire thread with one simple sentence.

No....except maybe for the Camry.
Old 11-18-17, 06:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

who is going to drive an LC in the winter and need AWD, people complaining about the weight but want to make it even heavier with AWD?
Old 11-18-17, 06:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

who is going to drive an LC in the winter and need AWD, people complaining about the weight but want to make it even heavier with AWD?
I agree. I don't think lack of AWD is an issue in any way. The performance is hampered by the weight of the vehicle.
Old 11-18-17, 07:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Steve
Well talk to regular folks buying GT Coupes in the Northeast for about $100k. 911, 6series, Sclass coupe etc.
Like i said there is a reason why ///M and AMG are going all AWD - this is what the overall consumer wants.

Also its funny i was at a BMW event where they compared AWD vs RWD 5series and asked the participants what they like better. Overwhelmingly it was AWD, the instructors had a bewildered look on their face lol.

The guys that want NA engine, Manual and RWD are a minority.
Old 11-18-17, 07:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

My friend come to Northeast - plenty of folks here drive their coupes year round.
Thats why MB and BMW have had awd option for years. Lexus is alway catching up.

I will guarantee you the LC lost a bunch of sales in Norheast from existing Lexus owners due to lack of AWD.
Old 11-18-17, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I will guarantee you the LC lost a bunch of sales in Northeast from existing Lexus owners due to lack of AWD.
Probably truth on both sides. Yes, people in the Snow Belt do tend to like AWD (witness, for instance, the sheer number of Subaru sales in that region). But, on the other hand, a lot of folks who regularly drive around in the white stuff probably wouldn't want to take a really nice car car like the LC, even with AWD, out in it, and let the salt, sand, and abrasives on the road screw up the traditionally nice Lexus paint job.
Old 11-18-17, 08:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably truth on both sides. Yes, people in the Snow Belt do tend to like AWD (witness, for instance, the sheer number of Subaru sales in that region). But, on the other hand, a lot of folks who regularly drive around in the white stuff probably wouldn't want to take a really nice car car like the LC, even with AWD, out in it, and let the salt, sand, and abrasives on the road screw up the traditionally nice Lexus paint job.
Most ppl dont care because they are leased 90% of the time.
They just upgrade to something new in 3years.
Old 11-18-17, 12:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

AWD is a toughie.

AWD has pros/cons, and advantages/disadvantages.
AWD can give superior traction when powering out of corners in the dry, especially relevant to today's cars with so much hp & torque.
However, it does add weight, which obtunds performance straightline and around corners.

Thus, AWD best be optional.
Old 11-18-17, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

amg and m cars have huge power and without awd they would just shred the rear tires so they've gone awd. i remember the e55 amg for example - awesome car, but just a tire shredder and needed awd.
Old 11-18-17, 01:16 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend come to Northeast - plenty of folks here drive their coupes year round.
Thats why MB and BMW have had awd option for years. Lexus is alway catching up.

I will guarantee you the LC lost a bunch of sales in Norheast from existing Lexus owners due to lack of AWD.
I want my next car to be an ///M, Cayman/Boxster, or F-type. Problem is that none of them (besides very expensive versions of the Jag) offer AWD! I don't know why these manufacturers haven't jumped on this already. Even in milder climates where it rains instead of snows, AWD provides more stability and peace of mind than RWD. At the end of the day, practicality of AWD > performance advantages of RWD that you'll never use.

Last edited by BrownPride; 11-18-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-19-17, 12:51 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know it might seem infantile, but RWD=burnouts!!!!! If I had a car with enough power to fry the rear tires, you damn well bet I'd do that occasionally. As for the AWD is better in winter, if you have $$$$ for a 100k+ high performance car, you have enough money for something decent to drive in the winter/snow. I mean you can set your sights lower than a new 4wd F150 Platinum for a winter beater, maybe a stripper Subaru for 20k if you must have a new or newer car to slog through the winter. Or god forbid if you slum it up in an AWD Benz C-class, those are damn nice now days and reasonably priced(used or new) if you stick with the base engine.

Main thing I don't get with the LC500, is why the hybrid model???? Its an impractical 2 door coupe, people want performance, power, speed, gas mileage be damned. I know its a parts bin special, so it cost Toyota next to nothing to develop, but its still not what people want in this segment. Spend the R&D money on a set of turbochargers for that V8, charge people more $$$$, if it performs, people will buy it.
Old 11-19-17, 03:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I know it might seem infantile, but RWD=burnouts!!!!! If I had a car with enough power to fry the rear tires, you damn well bet I'd do that occasionally.
So you enjoy buying new tires, and compromising the life of the drivetrain by putting abuse on it? I guess each to his (or her) own.

Actually, That's one reason why Ford stuck with the Mustang's live rear axle for so long. It wasn't just cost-cutting. They knew the live axle's durability, and the fact that the kids and young adults who bought and drove Mustangs were often addicted to burnouts.

Main thing I don't get with the LC500, is why the hybrid model???? Its an impractical 2 door coupe, people want performance, power, speed, gas mileage be damned. I know its a parts bin special, so it cost Toyota next to nothing to develop, but its still not what people want in this segment. Spend the R&D money on a set of turbochargers for that V8, charge people more $$$$, if it performs, people will buy it.
Automakers can't just sit down anymore, *****-nilly, and install power trains just for the sake of marketing, or to try and keep up with the Jones's. Even on a vehicle with the low sales potential of an LC (which won't affect the averages much), they have to, at least to an extent, consider the EPA-mandated gas mileage and emission rules, figured in over the average of all their fleet. Automakers can be (and sometimes are) fined if their fleet violates those rules. The Trump Administration wants a rollback of some of those rules (so do I)......but, so far, no official action towards that goal has been taken.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-17 at 03:16 AM.

Quick Reply: CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?