Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I don’t believe the lack of performance would be such an issue if it were cheaper.
Anybody can add HP/torque and sell a drag-racer. With Lexus, you traditionally pay for quality.
Old 11-16-17, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
It's interesting that Lexus chose to price the LC at $100K. Did this number just pop up out of nowhere or was there some sort of marketing psychology behind this six figure idea. It's a big gamble: will people pay this kind of money for a Lexus, .
Its about big profit. Lexus as long they hold pricing is making big money on this car. You have to also factor in all the variants that they will make on the platform such as LS etc etc. Also, think about how many Corollas a dealers need to sell to make the profit on one LC model. My guess it's minimum 10 units of Corolla for every Lexus LC. Same thing with LX models.
Old 11-16-17, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its about big profit. Lexus as long they hold pricing is making big money on this car. You have to also factor in all the variants that they will make on the platform such as LS etc etc. Also, think about how many Corollas a dealers need to sell to make the profit on one LC model. My guess it's minimum 10 units of Corolla for every Lexus LC. Same thing with LX models.
On the other hand, Jill...........look at all the Corollas the typical Toyota shop does sell.
Old 11-16-17, 06:15 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Quality? You think there’s that much of a difference in quality in $100k cars?

Lexus just missed the boat. It’s an age of performance and Lexus missed the memo completely. Look at everyone falling over themselves building fast cars. Blazing fast cars that can morph into comfortable cruisers at a press of a button. Why compromise for one or the other when you can have BOTH.

Here’s a funny thought experiment.

There’s an article about the Germans purposely sandbagging performance figures. That is, claiming slower numbers so any idiot could conceivably achieve them.

If the Germans made the LC, they would have to claim a 0-60 time of maybe 5.2 seconds.

Now how does this sound: LEXUS PERFORMANCE FLAGSHIP COUPE: $100k. CAN REACH 60 IN 5.2 SECONDS. Would you buy that no matter how little you cared about performance? An impractical, slow two-door coupe.
Old 11-16-17, 06:25 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I do believe the lack of speed and quickness HAS or WILL affect LC sales.

Come on, it's a two-door coupe that costs near $100k (i.e., impractical with a high degree of vanity). Who else would buy this type of car if they weren't some type of "enthusiast" to one extent or another. Thorne, you yourself said it should be quicker. I agree and ultimately I think that missing attribute WILL weigh in on people's decision to buy that car versus others at that range and class.

Who wants to spend $100k on a slow two-door coupe? Lexus knows this, that's why they throw out these numbers that are borderline BS. Otherwise, why not be more realistic if it didn't matter?
So, to prove your dislike of the LC, you claim that it is slow and accuse Lexus of overstating acceleration figures. You make it sound like a Toyota Corolla racing against a BMW away from a stoplight. I am sure that the LC is quick enough to get out of its own way and fast enough to drive at extra-legal speeds on our highways, just like its competitors are able to do.

Grand touring coupes are meant to be ultra-comfortable, refined, long-distance, cross-country cruisers, not stoplight drag racers.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.
Old 11-16-17, 06:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Quality? You think there’s that much of a difference in quality in $100k cars?

Lexus just missed the boat. It’s an age of performance and Lexus missed the memo completely. Look at everyone falling over themselves building fast cars. Blazing fast cars that can morph into comfortable cruisers at a press of a button. Why compromise for one or the other when you can have BOTH.

Here’s a funny thought experiment.

There’s an article about the Germans purposely sandbagging performance figures. That is, claiming slower numbers so any idiot could conceivably achieve them.

If the Germans made the LC, they would have to claim a 0-60 time of maybe 5.2 seconds.

Now how does this sound: LEXUS PERFORMANCE FLAGSHIP COUPE: $100k. CAN REACH 60 IN 5.2 SECONDS. Would you buy that no matter how little you cared about performance? An impractical, slow two-door coupe.
The 500h per lexus.com is 4.7sec 0-60. If a buyer wanted faster, they'd get the V8 version quoted at 4.4sec 0-60. Keep in mind these are 4300lb GT coupes.
Old 11-16-17, 06:32 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

That’s code word for slow.

In today’s world, you can have both: wickedly-fast car one minute and comfortable cruiser one drive-mode button away.

Hey, argue with me all you want, but at that price range, people are looking for a little more than “comfortable, long-distance cruiser” any Camry could do in a pinch.
Old 11-16-17, 06:36 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 500h per lexus.com is 4.7sec 0-60. If a buyer wanted faster, they'd get the V8 version quoted at 4.4sec 0-60. Keep in mind these are 4300lb GT coupes.
see post #47
Old 11-16-17, 07:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That’s code word for slow.

In today’s world, you can have both: wickedly-fast car one minute and comfortable cruiser one drive-mode button away.

Hey, argue with me all you want, but at that price range, people are looking for a little more than “comfortable, long-distance cruiser” any Camry could do in a pinch.
Not really. You're just used to your off the line 0-60 in your AWD turbo Audi now, you came from a LS460 iirc. I've driven the S7, they're quick. 354hp from the hybrid and 471hp from the V8 are plenty. Other than the occasional floor it on an open road, folks aren't utilizing these cars to race. Probably barely get it over 4000k rpm.

Sure no arguments there.

I'm not going to argue because I'm not changing anyone's perspective. Just getting my two cents. And responding to your statement. Most cars can be comfortable, long distance cruisers these days. But the Camry you mention is not a GT car though like the LC. If you want faster, wait for the LC F. But your Camry won't give you the sense that you're driving something special. Doesn't have that superb buttoned down feel, attention to detail, exotic looks, or personality from a high revving V8. Different strokes. Lexus doesn't have to be European and match the Joneses for everything. The day people start accepting Lexus for Lexus, maybe then they'll get the respect they deserve. Till then, they're doing quite well marching to the beat of their own drum. As to enthusiasts, when Lexus drops the 5.0 V8 for the 3.5TT V6 in the LC500 and also gets it's forced induction V8 I'm sure enthusiasts will still be complaining. Doesn't seem to bother Lexus much though. Maybe adversity drives them.
Old 11-16-17, 08:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
...Most cars can be comfortable, long distance cruisers these days. But the Camry you mention is not a GT car though like the LC...
I have always admired a Toyota's ability to cruise on the highway -- even at extra-legal speeds in a Toyota Corolla (and a Camry is better). But that is on a highway in the highly urban areas of Southern Ontario where extra-legal speeds can only be maintained for relatively short periods of time. If I were to cruise for long distances across the Prairies or on the truly high speeds of European autobahns, I would want the comfort and buttoned-down refinement of a true grand touring car.

Ultra-quick acceleration would matter less than the ability to comfortably and quietly cruise for long periods at high speeds, which would rule out a Toyota Corolla with its 4-banger screaming away at high rpm.
Old 11-17-17, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

just about all vehicles cruise nice these days. client just picked up a raptor super crew cab and he said the highway ride is excellent even at triple digits.
Old 11-17-17, 12:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Rhambler has a low volume "niche" for 0-60.
A Grand Tourer is about the all round package.

A 3.5L V6 TT & 4.0L V8 TT combined with a lower $80k entry would certainly help.
However, GT's still won't sell in large numbers in this age of SUV tall wagons.

My guess is that TMC is channelling their work and investment into EV's and Solid State Batteries for the next generation of vehicles.
Any further development on ICE now is just a stop gap...
Old 11-17-17, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just about all vehicles cruise nice these days. client just picked up a raptor super crew cab and he said the highway ride is excellent even at triple digits.

A Raptor with a nice cushy highway ride? I guess that shows how different folks have different views of what is comfortable and what isn't. Of course, being a Crew Cab, the extra wheelbase might help smooth things out at least some.
Old 11-17-17, 07:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

The other HUGE mistake with the the LC500 besides high price and low power is the complete lack of AWD option.
Not sure what Lexus was thinking.

Most ppl will no longer touch a RWD luxury car with a 10foot pole.
There is a reason pretty much even all ///M and AMG cars will be AWD, ppl feel they are safer.
Old 11-17-17, 08:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what a world we live in where 4.5 sec 0-60 is "slow"

Quick Reply: CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?