Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 12:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have seen a few new Camrys on the road now, but it is a mass-market vehicle that has only been on the market for 2 months or so.

I cannot recall seeing many Continentals, and cannot recall seeing any CT6s nor any LaCrosses, but these are low-volume premium models and Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick sedans do not seem to be very popular in the Greater Toronto (Canada) area. The import luxury brands seem to far outsell the domestic luxury brands here, one of the richest areas of Canada.

I have not seen a LC 500 on the road, but then it is a very-low volume grand touring coupe. I seldom see its competitors (BMW 6-Series, MB S coupe) either, especially now that winter is on its way and expensive GT coupes are put away for the season.
Old 11-15-17, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I cannot recall seeing many Continentals, and cannot recall seeing any CT6s nor any LaCrosses,
A shame, too, since the new Continental is, IMO, quite a piece of work, with an interior that will knock one's socks off. This car, IMO, deserves to sell better than it does (and not just to limo-firms). But, once again, the exploding SUV market shows its strength, and many would-be Continental buyers are perhaps looking, instead, at the MKX, or holding off for the new Navigator. Steve brought up the point that a number of buyers, in this class, expect RWD/AWD rather than the Taurus-based transverse FWD/AWD the Continental offers. But, on the other hand, the Continental, except for the pricey Black Label versions, significantly undercuts the price of its CT6 competitor, which should be attracting some customers....and isn't. Also, given the average age of many Lincoln buyers (which now exceeds that of both Buick and Cadillac), most of them aren't likely to care that the Continental has Taurus-based FWD. They aren't very likely to be driving in a manner where the benefits of RWD will stand out the most....high-speed handling and cornering.

Also, at least IMO, another significant factor in the Continental's slow sales is that, with the 2017 refreshening of the smaller MKZ sedan, the same general look is prevalent among the two sedans. Indeed, the two front grilles are virtually identical, and, on the exterior, forward of the rear C-pillar, it's hard to tell the two apart (except for the Continental's large door-handles). The MKZ even comes with AWD and the Continental's top twin-turbo 400 HP power plant. Yes, the Continental is MUCH more plush inside...but, apparantly, people are taking home the MKZ instead, with its lower price.
Old 11-15-17, 05:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?
In my area

CT6 - 0 sightings
LC500 - 2 sightings
Camry (2018) - about 5 sightings
LaCrosse - 1 sighting
Continental - 1 sighting

Last edited by Hoovey689; 11-15-17 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-17, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
In my area

LaCrosse (2018) - 1 sighting
How can you tell it's a 2018, just by glancing at it? The 2017 and 2018 are identical, both inside and outside...the only way you can reasonably tell is by the paint-color, where four of the 2017 colors were dropped, and three new ones added for 2018. But, even then, several of the 2017 colors (such as the Pepperdust I ordered) carried forward for 2018.....and I assume that you don't run around with a Lacrosse brochure and color-plates wherever you go.

Of course, you can tell the all-new 2018 Lacrosse Avenir models by the custom grille, matching lower front-air-dam, wheel-slot pattern, Chestnut-color leather seats, and special Avenir badging, which separates it from other Lacrosses.

Continental - 1 sighting
Just about matches mine LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 05:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ paste typo from the Camry above it. It should have said just LaCrosse. And correct I don't carry LaCrosse brochures lol!
Old 11-15-17, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^^ paste typo from the Camry above it. It should have said just LaCrosse. And correct I don't carry LaCrosse brochures lol!
OK, no problem.....I make typos myself sometimes.
Old 11-15-17, 05:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have only seen one LaCrosse in the wild. Looked pretty good bending in with all the traffic.
Old 11-15-17, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have only seen one LaCrosse in the wild. Looked pretty good blending in with all the traffic.
Even in the new-car-rich D.C, area, I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 at the most, outside of a dealership. I actually parked next to one a couple of days ago, at Starbucks...a 2017, judging from the dark-blue paint job, which was dropped for 2018.

...and I corrected your typo for you.

Like the answer I gave Sulu on the Continental, IMO this car is not getting the popularity it deserves, though it is true that neither GM or Ford has done much to market either one of them, and GM compounded the error by using the quirky E-shifter and non-defeatable stop/start system. Nether of those two issues ended up as deal-breakers for me (I still love the car even with them)....but many others apparently do not concur.
Old 11-15-17, 06:47 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Coupes seem to always struggle to sell. Pricing it high don't help either.

Camaro discontinued for awhile
Monte Carlo discontinued
SC discontinued
Accord coupe discontinued
ATS coupe to be discontinued
Old 11-15-17, 06:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The Accord coupe sold pretty well, not sure why they killed it.

4 series sells very well
Old 11-15-17, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Coupes seem to always struggle to sell. Pricing it high don't help either.

Camaro discontinued for awhile
Monte Carlo discontinued
SC discontinued
Accord coupe discontinued
ATS coupe to be discontinued

Simple. For many people (if not most) four doors are better than two. Of course, there are a few exceptions, like the Dyed-in the Wool Ford Mustang, Mazda Miata, and Dodge Challenger fans. And, of course, wth the Challenger, you have the four-door Charger alternative.
Old 11-15-17, 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I've seen a couple of ct6s (living near a major interstate i75 i see the 'snowbirds' going north and south ), a couple of continentals, a couple of lacrosses, no lc500's, a couple of new camry's, and a bajillion new suvs and cuvs
Old 11-15-17, 07:06 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

In L.A. I've seen em all.
Old 11-15-17, 09:00 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In my circles (where everyone seems to drive a car in the $100k-$300k range) nobody talks about 0-60 times. It's either because nobody cares, or at this point in life it is seen as immature, selfish, and foolish to stoplight race or talk about how fast you can drive on the highway. 100% of the time, the discussion is, "How much hp does that thing have?" For the more sophisticated, the discussion might also include a comment about tq.

I personally don't believe the slow-sellingness of the LC is due to 0-60 times from some magazine. We pay attention to all of those things here as enthusiasts, but many, many people do not. Lexus stating a 4.6s 0-60 time is adequate enough, and will never be verified by 90% of owners. No, I personally think the slow-selling is due to the same element that gave me pause prior to pulling the trigger on my LC: "Wow, $100k for a Lexus?" I had never heard of such a thing. And this is coming from a guy who owns cars worth north of $200-$250k. No offense meant to the fans, but "6 Figure Lexus" was difficult to wrap my head around. Similar for other friends and acquaintances.

Part of me believes that a reason they aren't selling according to forecast is because the public consciousness (at least in LA, maybe other places too but I don't live in other places) hasn't yet wrapped its head around the concept of a 6 Figure Lexus. I purchased this car on a whim after following it for a while. If it was my daily driver or my only car or my "single other car", I would have eliminated it based upon other requirements.

My $.02

Last edited by Thorne; 11-15-17 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 09:58 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is that why you said this in the LC forum? Or was that a different circle?

Originally Posted by Thorne
My nitpicks on a car I otherwise love:

1. Lighter overall weight, different gearing. This thing should be a 4.0 second car w/ 471 hp and almost 400 lb/ft tq.

2. Front camera. Hood is so sloped it makes determination of "the front" a challenge for me. Using the sonar is "Ok", but my LC's Porsche and Mercedes stablemates have front cameras. Yes I know those were 1.5x to 2x the price of my LC. But my wife has an Infiniti that has a front camera, so it can't be "that" upmarket.

3. Would a sunroof (not a "moon roof") really have been super difficult to add?

4. I understand the trunk is shallow because the car amp and car battery are underneath it. 46/54 weight balance or whatever. However, the car is so heavy anyway and the weight ratio is so thrown off anyway when the car is at speed, and barely anyone will track these things until they get to the Used market... Put the battery in the front, enable more depth in the trunk. I won't notice if 2% additional weight is in the front.

5. Yeah the track pad thing is odd. I get what they were trying to do, but it's odd for me personally. Everyone else may love it, but I'm not Everyone else.

There's mine!

Quick Reply: CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?