Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 05:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The LC500 is NOT selling - my dealer is giving me close to $10k off sticker and you can do a 2day "test drive."
Its a beautiful car but its overpriced and lacks a powerful engine.
no dealer in a snow state wants to be stuck with cars like the LC over the winter thats why they are desperate

not sure how accurate true car is, but here it says only 2-3k off MSRP for it

Originally Posted by situman
LC is not a good value. It is simply too slow for the money. Imagine an M3 or M4 pulling away from you for less money?
i can pull away from an M3/4 with other cars for less money, not sure what youre getting at. Brought the LC to a local car show, got way more looks and questions from people than a dime a dozen 3/4 series.
Old 11-14-17, 05:34 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lexus does overstate their 0-60 times. I got so much flak for stating that, but it’s true.

Here’s Motorweek’s recent road test of the LC:

They did 0-60 in 5 seconds. Lexus claims 4.4 seconds.

Here is Motorweek’s S7 review of an older one with a 420 HP engine (now has 450).

They did 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. Audi claims 4.5 seconds and this car weighs more than the Lexus.

Lexus has a habit of grossly overstating their performance numbers and they’re just slow.

The LS 500 will be a lot slower than advertised too.
Old 11-14-17, 08:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Lexus does overstate their 0-60 times. I got so much flak for stating that, but it’s true.

https://youtu.be/Wl2CJMK24GM

Here is Motorweek’s S7 review of an older one with a 420 HP engine (now has 450).

https://youtu.be/cv1jIGZjcAs

They did 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. Audi claims 4.5 seconds and this car weighs more than the Lexus.

Lexus has a habit of grossly overstating their performance numbers and they’re just slow.

For Lexus, they claim "professional driver with professional equipment and 91 gas or higher". So Lexus does not exactly over exaggerate but I do get what you are saying.
Old 11-14-17, 08:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they're very different vehicles. might as well compare the LC to a subaru STI
I thought the LC is a larger grand touring (GT) coupe? How can it be compared with compact, agile stoplight racers that the M3 and M4 are?
Old 11-14-17, 08:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I thought the LC is a larger grand touring (GT) coupe? How can it be compared with compact, agile stoplight racers that the M3 and M4 are?
BMW 6 series coupe is what the LC should be compared to.
Old 11-14-17, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i agree totally.
Old 11-14-17, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not sure how accurate true car is, but here it says only 2-3k off MSRP for it
true car quote is meaningless - it's a price dealers have agreed to accept for orders coming frim true car, and for which the dealer PAYS true car a fee for the deal. one can always do better than true car, but it does give a simpler deal.
Old 11-15-17, 05:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

https://youtu.be/Wl2CJMK24GM

https://youtu.be/cv1jIGZjcAs

Germans tend to understate. Sometimes I wonder, why not be accurate. I mean I get why Nissan claimed the 370Z has a dynamic 50/50 weight ratio because their engineers couldn't achieve 50/50 so marketing came up with a new term that it is 50/50 under other circumstances, just not at a rest on a scale (like an alternative reality). But Lexus and Audi/BMW are big boys. When a BMW speedometer says 70 mph, the vehicle is likely going about 66-67, I just don't get that, why not indicate 70 when the vehicle is doing 70? BMW engineers have an excellent grasp on calculus I am certain.

I remember when the E92 BMW 335 was being launched, Automobile Magazine put one on the dyno and it had like 330 HP at the wheels, so they were saying holy **** it's rated 300 HP so they should have seen maybe 265 at the wheels. germans always seem to be underrating everything. In this case BMW was likely being sneaky and letting the rags test a car tuned a little higher than production...I also remember the literature said the car goes 0-60 in 5.3, Motor Trend got 4.8.

My 1998 Nissan? Brochure said 0-60 in 6.8. Motor trend did 7.6. See the pattern with the Japanese?
Old 11-15-17, 06:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Correct now its the 8series as BMW no longer sells a 6series coupe.

As i mentioned the new 840, 850, and M8 are around the corner so Lexus better breathe some life into the LC or they will be giving away $10k coupons come this time next year.
Old 11-15-17, 06:18 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

And they’ll be legitametely, real world faster. Way, way REAL WORLD faster versus the laboratory numbers lexus publishes, which no one can seemingly get.
Old 11-15-17, 08:37 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

And they’ll be legitametely, real world faster. Way, way REAL WORLD faster versus the laboratory numbers lexus publishes, which no one can seemingly get.
Could it all be the testing parameters? Air density, atmospheric pressure, etc?
Old 11-15-17, 09:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

they're very different vehicles. might as well compare the LC to a subaru STI
We should since it doesnt cost $100k and could be faster.
Old 11-15-17, 09:36 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

'18 white camry SEs are all over so cal here.

I see more MKZ sporadically than the continentals.

LCs are very rare...I've only seen 4.
Old 11-15-17, 11:45 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I've seen a total of 2 LC's on the road here in LA, which is sad for the car culture of this city and for how much time I spend on the road around this city. When a new model debuts, you usually see them on the road here in LA quickly, even the $100k+ models. The LC is for sure a niche car, but for what it costs, you can get something far better IMO. When I look at the LC, I think of the Subaru SVX of the 90s... cool to look at, but not practical whatsoever. My dealer has had the same one of the showroom floor for months, so it's clear they're not moving.

On the opposite spectrum, I'm seeing the new Camry everywhere. In it's basic trim, it's quick to miss, as it's nothing special. The more loaded models catch my eye on the road. They did a good job on the redesign IMO.

I've seen the continental at LAX when traveling numerous times, so clearly a fleet car. I have not seen a single CT6 or Lacrosse on the road, but these aren't something I would typically watch out for.
Old 11-15-17, 12:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
i agree totally.
S7 is a midsize liftback powered by a 4.0 V8 TT AWD; it is heavy due to the V8 TT & AWD.
The V8 TT gives power, while the AWD gives traction.

The LC is a large coupe powered by a traditional atmos 5.0 V8 with RWD; it is heavy due to the full size platform.

Although the midsize S7's V8 Twin Turbo AWD gives more power/torque & traction, the full sized based LC Coupe will be superior handling and more refined.
Given the time, I'm sure the LC will get a 4.0 V8 TT - although the entire industry is hard at work on electric vehicles.

The differences in 0-60 times due to the conditions, mileage of the vehicle, and accuracy of the testing equipment.
For example, a hand stop watch will be grossly inaccurate.

Quick Reply: CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?