Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-17, 05:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The LC500 is NOT selling - my dealer is giving me close to $10k off sticker and you can do a 2day "test drive."
Its a beautiful car but its overpriced and lacks a powerful engine.

Lexus needs to get a TT V6 (400hp) and TT V8 (500hp) into this thing. Also where is the Fsport versions?
The new BMW 8series is coming in about 6months and will blow the LC away as it will have 840i, 850i and M8.
Im sure the 840i will start in the $80s.

LS500 will have an uphill battle imo with just a V6 and it doesnt have the great looks of the LC.

CT6 - very few of these in NYC unless they are limo use.
Way overpriced.

Continental - in real world, this car looks really strange as it has such a short hood and the FWD proportions are horrendous. Cant imagine it has many retail sales probably most fleet.

Camry - Toyota really did a great job with exterior styling. My neighbor has the XSE trim in blue - sharp looking from every angle with great stance. I see the new ones everywhere. The new Accord may better car but it looks hideous.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 11-12-17 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-12-17, 06:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The LC500 is NOT selling - my dealer is giving me close to $10k off sticker and you can do a 2day "test drive."
This is what I have seen. I was the under the impression the first year builds were sold out ahead of time, but I guess this is not the case.
Old 11-12-17, 06:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Continental - in real world, this car looks really strange as it has such a short hood and the FWD proportions are horrendous. Cant imagine it has many retail sales probably most fleet.

C
I think this is selling.
Old 11-12-17, 09:55 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

The problem I see with the LC500 is its performance compared to other cars in the same segment or price range. It falls flat out short next to all the competition. Everybody agrees that the car is amazing on looks, feel and comfort etc etc... but then the performance is horrible. The RC-F's is better, the GS-F's is better and basically everything out there in that price range is better... 13+ sec in the 1/4 mile and $100k sticker price? It's bad because it is a coupe, sports car. If it was an SUV or a Sedan it wouldn't be bad but even though everyone buying the LC, ok not everyone, but a good 90% of the people who would get a car like the LC500 will not race it, will not track it and is barely ever going to try to get the 1/4 mile or 0-60 numbers down and things like that... and even though they are not going to do it, whatever is on paper and reviews, affects how people will see the car and the choice they are going to make. So only those that have absolutely no interest in performance or are into the whole car enthusiast thing and just want it because they want to cruise around on a Sunday will really go and get an LC500, and they have to have money because $100k is not cheap
Old 11-12-17, 10:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think it has more to do with the pricing then performance, 100K is just too much money for a Lexus whether it has more performance or not for decent sales. If it was priced much more reasonably it would sell much better and the lack of acceleration would not be much of a factor, they can do a high performance version for around 100K and even then it won't sell in big numbers. The SC's or Lexus coupes were never high performance cars, they offered decent power and good looks at least for the 1st Gen, even raising the price like the last one resulted in pretty poor sales so that should have been a lesson. The LS hybird, GS-F, and RC-F did not sell because they were priced too high, yes performance was not as good as the Germans but the GS-F and RC-F still have decent performance and still don't sell. The sad thing Lexus may take away from this is coupes don't sell well anymore so lets stop doing them and just do more boring SUV barges when in reality it should be over priced coupes, especially for your brand don't sell that well. Several people including me said they are pricing the LC too high before it was released and it was not going to sell very well.
Old 11-12-17, 11:24 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think it has more to do with the pricing then performance, 100K is just too much money for a Lexus whether it has more performance or not for decent sales. If it was priced much more reasonably it would sell much better and the lack of acceleration would not be much of a factor, they can do a high performance version for around 100K and even then it won't sell in big numbers. The SC's or Lexus coupes were never high performance cars, they offered decent power and good looks at least for the 1st Gen, even raising the price like the last one resulted in pretty poor sales so that should have been a lesson. The LS hybird, GS-F, and RC-F did not sell because they were priced too high, yes performance was not as good as the Germans but the GS-F and RC-F still have decent performance and still don't sell. The sad thing Lexus may take away from this is coupes don't sell well anymore so lets stop doing them and just do more boring SUV barges when in reality it should be over priced coupes, especially for your brand don't sell that well. Several people including me said they are pricing the LC too high before it was released and it was not going to sell very well.
The RC-F and the GS-F did not sell well I believe for the same reasons. If you compare them to their BMW and MB counterparts, the Lexus cars all fall behind on performance. The RC-F and the M3/M4 are in a very similar price range but the BMW outperforms the F so it's the same thing, people going for the $70-80k car are looking at both cars and will tend to lean towards the BMW because it's "faster" and then the people looking at a car in the $100k range, like the LC500, will tend to lean towards other options that are "faster". I don't think $100k for a Lexus is too high but I do think if they want to ask that price, they need to step it up and be more competitive with the competition since performance, like I said before, may not really matter 'cause people won't race the car but it is a very important part when you look at every single review out there, and people watch reviews and go by what they see a lot. Remember when the 4GS first came out and beat the BMW in almost every car magazine and reviews on basically every aspect? The GS sold like crazy but then it got stuck in there and all the competition surpassed it so now the GS is barely even selling... Performance may look like it doesn't matter to people, and in reality it doesn't, but people watch and read about it and I think it influences sales a lot because all they see is the "cool" factor that is fast. They don't care as much about the reliability or build quality etc etc... generally speaking
Old 11-12-17, 12:51 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

well i personally have sold a handful of 2018 camrys, including the first sale of a 2018 at this dealership (penn toyota in roslyn ny, anyone nearby looking for a car please come see me lol) and i'm seeing others here sell them on a pretty consistent basis... personally i wish they emphasized comfort a bit more over handling and made the seats not so firm but it's a pretty awesome car. hell, it has a floor-hinged gas pedal which is normally only reserved for really cool cars haha, one thing that still disappoints me is they moved the location of the cruise control from the stalk it's always been on (best spot for it) and put it further up on the wheel like where honda puts it. oh well...
Old 11-12-17, 01:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i think the new v6 mercedes s450 is going to give the ls500 a hard time.
Old 11-12-17, 02:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....but don't try to sell it in America with Chinese-specs.

Cadillac is well-aware of that compact-CUV lack, and is currently working on the XT3, which hasn't been released yet.
Yeah I don't know what Cadillac was thinking with the 4 cylinder in their flagship for US customers. Maybe trying to get fleet buyers with a low price???? Anyways, V8's are what GM does best, but you can't buy them in a Cadillac car, unless you want to spend 90k on a crazy CTS-V with 650hp.

As for the XT3, where is it already??? BMW has had the X3 on the market for 10+ years now.
Old 11-12-17, 03:55 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the new v6 mercedes s450 is going to give the ls500 a hard time.
It's definitely going to be the subject of a lot of car comparison showdowns. Japan vs Germany LWB TTV6 powered cars. And then maybe as a runoff in a luxury car showdown with the German three, and Japan, maybe Cadillac thrown in for good measure along with Genesis.

Unfortunately MB won't have its new I6 in the US until the 2019 MY, and that engine packs quite a punch along with the inherent smoothness of the inline design. With LS drivers though, it's a value-based argument. The LS has more features available compared to the $90K price of the S450 which is missing some luxury features that even a Kia hatchback has.
Old 11-12-17, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah I don't know what Cadillac was thinking with the 4 cylinder in their flagship for US customers. Maybe trying to get fleet buyers with a low price????
If that was the case, then they probably wouldn't have priced it as high above the base versions of the Continental as they did. Most likely, it is there for fuel-economy reasons.

I'm not even convinced the 2.0T even needs to be there for fuel economy. My Lacrosse has a N/A 3.6L V6 that, with cylinder cut-off at freeway speeds, engine start/stop system at idle, new weight reduction program for 2017/2018, and the new efficient GM/Ford 9-speed automatic, equals or exceeds the mileage I got with my Verano's N/A 2.4L EcoTec four.....particularly in stop and go driving.

Overseas, however (not in the U.S.), large-displacement engines have an extra tax, so that may account for the Chinese version of it.

Anyways, V8's are what GM does best, but you can't buy them in a Cadillac car, unless you want to spend 90k on a crazy CTS-V with 650hp.
Thank Big Brother and MPG/emission regs for that. Traditional V8s will soon be found only in ultra-high-performance machines, work trucks, full-size SUVs, and high-end luxury cars....and, even on those luxury cars, you'll see more V6s instead.

As for the XT3, where is it already???
That, you'll have to ask the Cadillac people. What I know is that it is still in development/testing, but not ready to be released...it will most likely come as a 2019 model. It may (?) actually be released under the XT4 designation....we'll see.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-17 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 07:02 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I thought the LC would do better. It seems it is not. The Continental is doing ok?
LC is not a good value. It is simply too slow for the money. Imagine an M3 or M4 pulling away from you for less money?
Old 11-14-17, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
LC is not a good value. It is simply too slow for the money. Imagine an M3 or M4 pulling away from you for less money?
So?...........who's going to be drag-racing on public roads..........at least legally?
Old 11-14-17, 07:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Lexus needs to get a TT V6 (400hp) and TT V8 (500hp) into this thing. Also where is the Fsport versions?
The new BMW 8series is coming in about 6months and will blow the LC away as it will have 840i, 850i and M8.
Im sure the 840i will start in the $80s.

LS500 will have an uphill battle imo with just a V6 and it doesnt have the great looks of the LC.

CT6 - very few of these in NYC unless they are limo use.
Way overpriced.

Camry - Toyota really did a great job with exterior styling. My neighbor has the XSE trim in blue - sharp looking from every angle with great stance. I see the new ones everywhere. The new Accord may better car but it looks hideous.
Without knowing the real numbers, based on observation, and conjecture, I would say Camry will sell, and I have seen a bunch of Continentals being used for limo services. The rest, are likely duds. I actually am or rather was a GM fan, but I think they need to get with the times, too big to fail works the first time around, but never again. The only analogy I can think of is Sears.

edit p.s. I don't know that BMW directly competes with Lexus, certainly not from a performance standpoint, maybe on prestige...BMW is like Apple. They could do nothing of merit, and people already want to know what's up and like things sight unseen. Not true for Lexus...at least imho. Again, the lounge of a service area speaks volumes. BMW is almost empty. Lexus is full of I would say retired folks.

I would say, however, Lexus is the end of the line for Japanese cars barring NSXs and GTRs, meaning the top, like pulling into Coney Island on a F train

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-14-17 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-14-17, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
they're very different vehicles. might as well compare the LC to a subaru STI

Quick Reply: CT6, LC500, Camry, Lacrosse, Continental...are these cars selling?