Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are the Nissan 370Z's days numbered?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Are the Nissan 370Z's days numbered?

After a long career, the days of the Nissan Z might be numbered.....although one must remember that it was also yanked out of the U.S. market in the mid-90s, only to return six or seven later in a less-expensive form. Despite the retro-look, I didn't care much for the 350Z when it did return in 2002......poor quality control, extremely cheap interior materials, and defects in engineering. The successor 370Z was an enormous improvement (I did a full-review), and introduced an interesting feature to the American market that I liked...computer engine rev-matching for manual-transmission downshifts. When you pushed the clutch pedal in, the computer instantly compared the transmission's rotation-speed to the engine's crankshaft/flywheel, and adjusted the engine speed to match. That, of course, saved a lot of wear on the synchronizers, made for smoother shifts, less of a jerk to the drivetrain, and eliminated the need for double-clutching and/or heel-and-toe downshifts, both of which can be awkward if you aren't skilled at it or have a vehicle with poorly-spaced pedals. For the inevitable Z-purists that would complain, the system can be switched off if desired.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-might-be-dead

It sounds like the Nissan Z might be dead

Sean Szymkowski
12Oct 26, 2017

2018 Nissan 370Z

The Nissan 370Z might be the final Z car.

Speaking to Australian publication Drive at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show, Philippe Klein, chief planning officer for Nissan, offered no commitment to the sports car. He's the third Nissan executive to suggest the Z's days are numbered—or at least that the sports car isn't much of a priority for the brand.

“This vehicle is still very alive but at the same time it is in a segment that is gradually declining, so that is making the [business] case more difficult," he said. Klein pointed to the GT-R as a better halo car and reiterated the brand's commitment to Nismo. Nissan continues to apply the Nismo badge to various cars, and soon, the 2018 Leaf will likely gain a sporting Nismo trim.

“We have no intention to quit excitement but we’re going to make it happen in different ways,” he added.

The first comments surrounding the Z's uncertain future trace back to the 2017 New York Auto Show, where Christian Meunier, senior vice president of Nissan Sales, Marketing, and Operations, flat out said the 370Z "is not a priority" for the brand. Ouch.

Next, former Nissan Australia managing director Richard Emery said he was not aware of any future plans for a new Nissan Z. "There’s nothing pending. Not anytime soon.” Boo.

Nissan Gripz concept, 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show

Over the years, Nissan mulled over a few different directions for the Z. There was the Nissan Gripz sport crossover concept and the smaller IDx concept, both of which previewed various avenues for a new Z car.

Nissan IDx NISMO (left) and IDx Freeflow concepts, 2013 Tokyo Motor Show

Pouring peroxide on the cut is this year's Tokyo Motor Show, where reports suggested a new Z concept would debut to preview the next-generation car. The Nissan Z will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2019—if the car makes it that far.
Old 11-06-17, 08:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The new 3.0TT V6 in its several iterations would be a good fit for a new Z if the Q60 is any indication
Old 11-06-17, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I had been reading elsewhere a new Z is due soon. So the above info would be conflicting. Personally, I'd like to see a new one of these succeed, but only if a stability control is undefeatable. Too many immature, hot-heads have been drifting at 3 in the morning with these below my balcony.
Old 11-07-17, 02:01 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z had its success which is good enough for a 2 seater normal sports car. It tempted me over the years to get one as a toy but never really happened for many reasons ( poor interior, 2 seats only, ugly convertible, not updated enough engine etc.) but it’s still sad to see it go since I owned 2 300zx before 2002, and drove the first 2003 model extensively from my best friend.
One sports car Nissan really need to bring back, or to the States, was the 240sx or S15 Silvia, specially couple years ago when drifting was at its peak in the States. It’s one of the best Nissan ever produced, widely loved and have a strong following. S15 Silvia, it’s so beautiful and perfect, I would gladly buy it today even Nissan don’t give it any updates. And see how successful Toyota/Subaru on bring back the FRS/BRZ, Nissan would def. own a market share on it, sigh...
Old 11-07-17, 02:39 AM
Ispeedca
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See I really liked the 350z better then all the proceeding models. To me it was the perfect car for tuning and at that time it was one of the best sounding engine, you could ear them drive by and automatically know it was a 350z. The 350z will always be one of my favorites even though the stock 370z look is gorgeous. I also agree with blacksc400 that the latest silvias should be sold.in Canada, I really love these cars. btw I really dont care if they stop producing it, maybe now they could concentrate on a lower priced version gtr!

Last edited by Ispeedca; 11-07-17 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-07-17, 02:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

If the Z were a bespoke model, it'd probably be dead already. But since it shares a platform with nearly the entire Infiniti lineup as well as the Skyline (GT-R is on a related but distinct platform), it can't be super-expensive to keep around.
Old 11-07-17, 05:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Z is in a tough spot, you can buy a Camaro or Mustang GT and get more practicality, greater starting potential for mods
Old 11-08-17, 12:24 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

If Nissan still cared then they would update it. I don't think they care at all. For its asking price with the Brembo brake kit and a 6-speed manual it ought to have one of the Infiniti VR twin turbo engines. If they figured out a 2+2 version that would be ideal, since you can now no longer buy an Infiniti 2+2 coupe with a 6-speed manual.

They shelved the R&D prototype for the Silvia S16 and next they showed and talked up the IDX and then canned that too. Now they're talking of just letting the 370Z die off. At least they're still selling it for now but I do wish they cared more and demonstrated more passion.

The only other performance vehicle in their lineup (but only just a barely as a minimum parts bin effort) is the Sentra SR Turbo/Nismo 6-speed. But that car doesn't really measure up for laying down $25k considering all the better performance vehicles you can buy in that ballpark. It's not seriously on anyone's radar who might cross-shop a Focus ST or a Golf GTI. Then again, if Nissan would bother they could just introduce a much better hot hatch to fill that niche.

If the Z does die off they should release some kind of 2+2 rear drive sports car. Make it a manual transmission hybrid-electric turbo if necessary but there can't be no sports car in the lineup if the Z is not redesigned for another generation.

The biggest news from the Nissan performance front wasn't another super expensive version of the GTR but their establishment of their Heritage Parts Program. They started off with the R32 Skyline GT-R and if the Z32-TT and '69+ 240Z are included in that program it will be the big news for owners of classic Z's.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-08-17 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 07:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Never a fan of the 350/370Z design, particularly the latter.
The 90-95 300ZX is my all time favorite Z in terms of looks, came close to getting a used 300ZX Turbo once when I was young, but opted for a slightly more practical new car instead.
Old 11-08-17, 08:12 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The current 370Z is obviously on its last legs. The "sports car" end of the market is covered by smaller lighter cars and the "grand touring" end by more modern 2+2 coupes. I can't see Nissan spending a lot of money to update this niche vehicle. It could make sense to stretch its life a little by transplanting the G60 Red Sport 400 powertrain into it. With 400 hp and lots of torque the slightly lighter Z should be a good performer. Wider tires and an increase in turbo boost for more power could get 0-60 times below 4 sec. For cost reasons, they would almost surely stick with the Infiniti 7 speed auto gearbox. I would think the ugly convertible is dead.
Steve
Old 11-08-17, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The 90-95 300ZX is my all time favorite Z in terms of looks, came close to getting a used 300ZX Turbo once when I was young, but opted for a slightly more practical new car instead.
Interesting that you mentioned that, Andrew. The 90s-version, of course, was dropped from the American market for the same reason that its competition....the Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7, Mitsubishi 3000 GT, and Dodge Stealth were.....poor sales. They (and insurance policies for them) had simply gotten too expensive for the segment of the American market they were generally aimed at. At the time, I suggested to the reps of these companies, at the auto shows, that they lower the price and simply de-content the vehicles, if necessary, which might help with sales. They didn't, though...and ended up just pulling them out of the U.S. instead. Eventually, though, somebody just might have been listening, because, about six or seven years later, the less-expensive, non-turbo 350Z and RX-8 were introduced. The RX-8 probably would have been more successful if not for the oil-use quirks of the rotary engine and its very low torque at low RPMs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-17 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 10:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It should not be hard for Nissan to update the Z car. They already have a platform used in several vehicles and a new 3.0 tt engine already making 400hp. The sports car market is not dead, look at sales of Mustangs and Camaro's. The problem with the 370Z is it is not particularly good looking, performance is only decent for the price, same basic platform, look, and engine since 2002, interior is not even that good, you can now get a Infinti coupe with more power and a nice interior. You can get a very good 8 cylinder Mustang or Camaro for the same basic price as a 350hp Z car. Another problem is there is no real *** kicking version of the Z car like there was with the 300ZX tt that could outperform a Corvette.

They really just need a sleek design that is more in line with the 300ZX tt and give it some serious power that it can also compete with a Corvette and it should put some life back into the Z car. They can't just give up on it, it is very important for Nissan.
Old 11-08-17, 12:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yeah, I never like the 350/370Z. It's so bloated looking

Haha, I'm scratching my itch for most of my 90s car (NSX, SC400, and 300ZX) so far. I picked this up after selling my NSX.
It's getting an interior overhaul.
I didn't know you sold your NSX too !!
And please show us the results on the Z when it's done
Old 11-08-17, 12:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yeah, I never like the 350/370Z. It's so bloated looking

Haha, I'm scratching my itch for most of my 90s car (NSX, SC400, and 300ZX) so far. I picked this up after selling my NSX.
It's getting an interior overhaul.
Attached Thumbnails Are the Nissan 370Z's days numbered?-20170312_182101.jpg  
Old 11-09-17, 08:38 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I think Nissan should retire the Z nameplate for a generation or so then bring it back. I enjoyed every moment of driving my Z, but the poor interior quality and road noise was it’s biggest flaw. But aside from those flaws, you got an incredibly fun and powerful rear wheel sports car to drive at an attainable price point. Today, it just isn’t justifiable to buy a new model given it’s lack of updates. Not to mention the value offered by competing models.

Quick Reply: Are the Nissan 370Z's days numbered?