Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 08:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Just like I thought, the new 2018 model is getting sensational reviews. Close to a $100K and the interior is supposed to be outstanding. Well done Lincoln. I do like a lot things about this new SUV. Clearly a better product than the LX or Escalade from what I have been reading.
Old 11-04-17, 10:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Lincoln Navigator First Drive | From black sheep to flagship

This is Lincoln's flagship. It's the most luxurious, comfortable and expensive vehicle the brand sells. It's quite obviously the biggest and heck, like every Lincoln flagship of yesteryear, it even features body-on-frame construction. Crucially, though, this all-new 2018 Lincoln Navigator is also very good. It's distinctive, capable, and competent in ways that will stand up well in the upper echelon of the SUV hierarchy. And we'll get this out of the way now: it's far superior to its primary competitor, the Cadillac Escalade.

And yet, the Navigator's flagship status is a comeback story. It wasn't too long ago that it was a black sheep confined to the distant back row of Lincoln family promotional photos along with the Town Car and a fichus added for decoration. It was never given one of the new-fangled MK names, and its V8-powered, truck-based status made it a thirsty dinosaur at a time of rising gas prices and an increasing number of crossovers. Livery services bought them in black-painted droves, but it was otherwise forgotten even as a substantive refresh for 2015 arguably made it a better, more practical bet than its Caddy nemesis.

Like its predecessor, and indeed every Navigator since the second generation dawned for 2007, the third-generation 2018 model features an independent rear suspension rather than the live axle in GM's SUVs. First and foremost, this reaps benefits for those sitting in the third row. Full-sized adults enjoy an abundance of room back there on par (or perhaps even better) than a minivan. There's a USB port on each side, the seatbacks power recline and its three seat belts allow for an eight-passenger max. There's even enough room behind the raised third-row for creatively stacked suitcases.

Compare this to a regular-wheelbase Escalade with its third row stuck to the sky-high floor; its occupants' knees jammed against the second row and/or stuck into their own chins. It's a wasteland back there, but to be fair, not much worse than an Infiniti QX80 or Lexus LX 570. Yes, the extended-wheelbase Escalade ESV helps, but there's still less space than the standard Navigator. In fact, the Navigator L model offers the exact same third-row – only the cargo area behind it expands.

That rear suspension also pays dividends in the ride and handling department. In conjunction with electric power steering that provides consistent, appropriate and reassuring weighting, the Navigator doesn't feel like an ancient cumbersome truck like most of its competitors do. For something that weighs about 5,800 pounds (its aluminum body shaves about 200 pounds from the previous model), the 2018 Navigator was able to maintain a reasonable clip through the mountain roads south of Orange Country, Calif., where we got our first drive behind its leather-wrapped wheel.

Lincoln was eager for us to try the Navigator's various new driving modes (a combination of the familiar normal/eco/sport drive modes and a variety of off-roading/slippery weather modes), but we struggled to detect any differences in the optional adaptive suspension. This stands in sharp contrast to the Lincoln MKC, for instance, where the differences are some of the greatest found in any car. "Comfort" could easily be rechristened "Land Yacht."

That's never the case with the Navigator's ride, which ultimately disappoints. True, the independent rear eliminates truckish crashing and jiggling over bumps, but there was an omnipresent nervousness over what seemed to be perfectly acceptable pavement. The guilty party is likely the 22-inch wheels fitted to every Navigator but the base Premiere trim. A switch to smaller wheels and therefore more sidewall may be anathema to a segment dominated by the Escalade, but it would likely result in a more pleasant vehicle. It's that, or adopt the sort of four-corner air suspension that manages to work so well in big-wheeled Range Rovers and others.

There's no such disappointment under the hood, where a 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 producing 450 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque is paired to a 10-speed automatic. If all that seems familiar it's because you last read it in reference to the Ford Raptor. That's as cool and quick as it sounds, as the Navigator rushes forward with a smooth, torquey ease free of its competitors' truckish V8 roar. Given its slightly greater weight of 5,855 pounds, a 0-60 time south of 5.5 seconds seems reasonable.

Towing capacity is rated at a hefty 8,700 pounds, just besting the Escalade's 8,300-pound rating and the Infiniti QX80's 8,500-pound rating. Its Mercedes, Lexus and Range Rover competitors are all in the 7,000-lb range. However, despite the also-new 2018 Ford Expedition's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 managing "only" 375 hp and 400 lb-ft, it can tow 9,300 pounds.

That capability could be a reason to stick with the Navigator's Ford sibling, but you'd be giving up a lot elsewhere, most notably inside. Quite simply, this is the finest interior Lincoln has created in a half-century. It delivers stylistically where the Continental anonymously faltered, boasting a distinctive design put together using elements of a higher quality than we've come to expect from Lincoln. The switchgear in particular has been elevated far above the disappointingly plasticky Continental and the number of obvious Ford parts bin items is kept to minimum – we really only spotted the trailer brake controller from an F-150, which seems perfectly reasonable.

This was the case in both the mid-grade Navigator Reserve trim we tested ($82,400) and the top-of-the-line Black Label ($96,650), though the latter certainly puts on the much better show. It features supple leather on the dash and doors (versus pleather), upgraded leather on the seats (the same 24-way "Perfect Position" seats introduced on the Continental), special decorative trim and an elevated customer service experience. You also get a choice of three "environments," which go well beyond the usual black, grey or beige selections found in other Navigators and just about everything else out there.

The white-and-brown "Chalet" is unremarkable, but "Yacht Club" and "Destination" environments make you want to dress up like Don Draper just to be seen in them. We spent our time in the environment dubbed "Yacht Club." Featuring a classy and distinctive pale blue showcased in the Navigator Concept, it evokes the Mid-Century Modern era that Lincoln and Mr. Draper thrived in without being hopelessly retro.
The subtly classy Lincoln emblem added to the passenger-side dash is particularly cool, as is the white teak trim that adds a touch of modernity (as do the standard 10-inch central Sync 3 display and strikingly minimalist all-digital gauge display).

"Destination" might be the classiest of the bunch, though, with its deep, rich red leather accented with a crème/gold color in its stitching and the tiny dots in the accompanying red "Khaya" veneer trim. There's also a distinctive textured dash leather, which Navigator chief program engineer Andrew Kernahan indicated was the greatest technical challenge his team faced in creating the Navigator cabin.

The Black Labels look and feel special, making the nearly $100,000 price tag for a Navigator seem far more justified than the rather laughable, similarly priced Escalade. However, the same can be said for lesser, cheaper versions. Perhaps the Navigator lacks the refinement of a Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class or a Range Rover – there's still a bit too much noise along with the aforementioned ride – but given its space, performance, style and enormous features list, this is a Lincoln flagship that can finally compete with the big boys.
Source
Old 11-04-17, 11:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

C&D did a First Drive Review on the new Navigator. Here is their take:

Highs
Steamship presence, satisfying acceleration, not entirely unathletic, utter comfort for eight.
Lows
Some cheap interior bits, skimpy cargo room in standard-wheelbase models, top models cost six figures.
Old 11-04-17, 12:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
C&D did a First Drive Review on the new Navigator. Here is their take:

Highs
Steamship presence, satisfying acceleration, not entirely unathletic, utter comfort for eight.
Lows
Some cheap interior bits, skimpy cargo room in standard-wheelbase models, top models cost six figures.
Thanks for posting. It's really great to see Lincoln get praise in the reviews and the media.
Old 11-04-17, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks for posting. It's really great to see Lincoln get praise in the reviews and the media.
Six figures, though, seems like quite a sum, even for the top-line, custom-made Black Label versions. For that price, it better get some credit...that's the same league as top-line Escalades, Range-Rovers, LX500s, Toyota Land Cruisers, and Mercedes G-Wagens.
Old 11-04-17, 01:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Six figures, though, seems like quite a sum, even for the top-line, custom-made Black Label versions. For that price, it better get some credit...that's the same league as top-line Escalades, Range-Rovers, LX500s, Toyota Land Cruisers, and Mercedes G-Wagens.
better than all of them.
Old 11-04-17, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
better than all of them.
Have you seen one in person and checked it out...or test-driven it? I'll admit it looks nice in the posted images here. But one thing the 1Gen Buick Enclave taught is that looks can be deceiving. Except for the nice real wood steering wheel, all those vast acres of nice wood, chrome, and brushed-metal trim inside was nothing but run-of-the-mill GM cheap brittle plastic underneath, with a thin coat of flash on it.

However, given the really nice job Lincoln did on the new Continental's interior (and the Navigator appears to use at least some of those parts), maybe I'll give this latest Navigator the benefit of the doubt, even without seeing it in person.

BTW, Lincoln recently took over a statistic that Buick once held...oldest average buyers in the U.S. market....although the small Lincoln MKC SUV pulls in some younger buyers, like the Encore does for Buick.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-17 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you seen one in person and checked it out...or test-driven it? I'll admit it looks nice in the posted images here. But one thing the 1Gen Buick Enclave taught is that looks can be deceiving. Except for the nice real wood steering wheel, all those vast acres of nice wood, chrome, and brushed-metal trim inside was nothing but run-of-the-mill GM cheap brittle plastic underneath, with a thin coat of flash on it.

However, given the really nice job Lincoln did on the new Continental's interior (and the Navigator appears to use at least some of those parts), maybe I'll give this latest Navigator the benefit of the doubt, even without seeing it in person.

BTW, Lincoln recently took over a statistic that Buick once held...oldest average buyers in the U.S. market....although the small Lincoln MKC SUV pulls in some younger buyers, like the Encore does for Buick.
I am referring to the reviews and reception. Just be happy for Lincoln. And yes, see it in person and sat inside at the Autoshow. But not driven.
Old 11-04-17, 09:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Main thing that impressed me are those pics of the red/burgandy interior, somebody has a great eye for color and detail, that looks like straight $$$$ with the wood trim and the 1960's Lincoln star. Love that Lincoln star BTW, this is the type of heritage Lincoln should be playing on, that sophisticated early-mid 1960's contemporary, minimalist, post modern style. Everybody else was trying to outdo each other with ridiculous fins and more chrome, Lincoln changed the game with a very elegant, much simpler, much more European looking car.

That interior kind of reflects the simpler, clean lines of 1960's Lincolns. Compare it to the current Escalade interior, which is very busy with lots of cut lines, lots of competing materials and textures. That Lincoln interior is much more calming, lots of straight lines, what looks like very high quality materials, great selection on colors/textures, IMO it looks a million times better just because it isn't as busy looking as the Escalade dashboard.

Also, 0-60 in under 5.5 seconds is straight up hauling *** for a vehicle this big/heavy. This thing weighs close to 6000lbs and can give a 300hp/3200lb 1992 Corvette with the LT1 V8 a run for its money to 60mph, just to put things into perspective(I'm sure the Corvette would blow the doors off the Navigator above 60mph though)

Maybe I'm crazy, but I do seem some similarities between the new Navigator dash and this classic 1964 Continental.

Last edited by Aron9000; 11-04-17 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 10:04 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Boy, that 1964 dash photo looks familiar. My folks had a 1963 Continental sedan in black on black. After my mom passed, we sold the car to a collector for about 4 times the original price. A 430 cu in engine, but not a lot of power. After 40 years an 90,000 miles is drove much like new with no rattles or wind noise. During a time of poor US car quality, this was an exception
Old 11-04-17, 10:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Boy, that 1964 dash photo looks familiar. My folks had a 1963 Continental sedan in black on black. After my mom passed, we sold the car to a collector for about 4 times the original price. A 430 cu in engine, but not a lot of power. After 40 years an 90,000 miles is drove much like new with no rattles or wind noise. During a time of poor US car quality, this was an exception
I'd argue, on the whole(yeah there are always exceptions) American cars made in 1963 were much higher quality than those made in 1973. I don't mean just that 1963 cars were better because of higher compression engines, leaded gas, more power, etc. I mean the fit/finish was better, the interior materials were nicer, the attention to detail from the designers was IMO MUCH NICER. I mean 1963 vs 1973 Riveria interior, tell me which one is higher quality, which one is way more detailed and special.

Anyways, getting back on to topic, it looks like Ford/Lincoln finally have figured out how to make a really NICE interior, a Lincoln interior, something that doesn't look like a Ford with nicer leather.
Old 11-04-17, 10:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I definitely am interested in driving this and the new Expedition. We rode in an Escalade ESV UBER when we were down in Orlando last week and my wife surprisingly showed interest in that sort of vehicle.

I find this Navigator a more appealing product than the Continental.

For $100k though I’d have a hard time choosing one of these over a Range Rover unless I really needed 3rows.
Old 11-04-17, 10:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I definitely am interested in driving this and the new Expedition. We rode in an Escalade ESV UBER when we were down in Orlando last week and my wife surprisingly showed interest in that sort of vehicle.

For $100k though I’d have a hard time choosing one of these over a Range Rover unless I really needed 3rows.
Despite the "questionable" reliability, Range Rovers from this decade have really impressed me in terms of stuff like the thunk when you shut the door, the quality of the paint finish, the tight panel gaps, the solid feeling they give over rough roads(ie no squeaks/rattles/groans), the quality of the leather, fit/finish of the plastics, all that type of stuff is TOP NOTCH and several orders better than an Escalade IMO. I'd be interested to see if the new Navigator matches that level of refinement found in the Range Rover.
Old 11-04-17, 11:46 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

The near $100K Navigator price is for the Black Label experience. The reserve version is really around $85K.
As Lincoln evolves, each new model should be better than their competitors
Old 11-05-17, 12:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The new Navigator looks fantastic. And to think this thing was on the chopping block a while ago. Just goes to show what a proper redo can do.
Some thoughts:

1) Anything will look ten times better than the out-of-date model that missed three redesigns. 25% of people's reactions (here and elsewhere) will be based soley on a comparison to the current dud model.
2) Being the most recent of it's competitors, it's bound to look better than those. Once the Escaldae gets it's turn, everyone will likely be saying the same about that. The new kid on the block always gets the attention.
3) $100k is outrageous and a rip-off. So is that price for it's GM competitors. There is a massive profit and mark-up with full-size SUV's, and this one is taking advantage of the public to the fullest. This should be about 10k more than an Expedition, which should all stick around $50-$60k tops. Nothing else here warrants anything higher. These are cheap to produce trucks when you strip them down.
4) Marvelous interior and great selection of colors. We need more red, brown, and blue interiors. The same old black, gray, and beige editions are tiresome. It's time to move on.
5) They could have integrated the dash air vents much better. They stick out like a sore thumb, while everything else is subtle and clean. Top designers HIDE appliances and accentuate luxuries.
6) Lack of a gear shifter is a safety hazard and inconvenience.
7) Lincoln better not let this one linger for fifteen years like the last. They have a good thing and need to keep it modern.

I am positive this unit will sell very well here in L.A. It is the perfect mobile for LAX high zoot shuttle and limo drivers, the Hollywood elite, and the south of the Blvd. clan.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews