Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 5 days with the Genesis 5.0 Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 05:41 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on getting married.

The interior feels 5 yrs old both in design and material quality. This car was originally a Hyundai after all. Given how the next G80 will be a "real" Genesis from the ground up, I'm sure it'll improve significantly from inside.
Old 10-26-17, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The interior feels 5 yrs old both in design and material quality. This car was originally a Hyundai after all. Given how the next G80 will be a "real" Genesis from the ground up, I'm sure it'll improve significantly from inside.
While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree wth its premise. This car is every bit worthy of the Genesis nameplate. Even when formerly marketed as a Hyundai product, rather than as a stand-alone Genesis, it was not very difficult to figure out why it did not have the "Hyundai" nameplate on it.
Old 10-26-17, 06:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on getting married.

I agree with much of what you say about the G80 5.0L. I did a full-review, a few years ago, on its RWD Hyundai Genesis 5.0L predecessor...before it officially shifted to the Genesis badge. You mentioned that it doesn't have a Hyundai badge on the outside......interestingly enough, for that matter, the old Hyundai version didn't either LOL. I also sampled the later Genesis G80 version with the 3.8L and AWD (not for five whole days, though, like you did), and thought the ride was just a hair stiffer than on the earlier Hyundai RWD version....perhaps the added unsprung weight of the AWD components.
The “old” version still had a Hyundai badge on the rear.
Old 10-26-17, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The “old” version still had a Hyundai badge on the rear.
Is that a U.S-spec car? I could be wrong, but I don't remember the previous Hyundai Genesis I reviewed in Virginia having an "H" badge....maybe in Canada.

Even if it did have an "H" badge, I'll still stand by my reply to BrownPride....IMO it is full worthy of the Genesis nameplate.

This article, BTW, seems to describe it as I remember it:

http://thenewswheel.com/behind-badge...-luxury-brand/

For years, people wondered why the luxurious Hyundai Genesis sedan possessed a different badge than the rest of Hyundai’s lineup. While other sedans and crossovers posses the recognizable Hyundai “H” emblem (which you can learn all about here), the Genesis was given a distinctly different one.

Now it all makes sense.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-27-17, 07:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Congrats on getting married.

It was originally a "Hyundai", but it has a RWD layout like most luxury sedans and even had some assistance in suspension tuning from Lotus. And as I mentioned in my review, everything you touch feels the business. It's honestly pretty good quality inside. Does it look at nice as an E-class or even a humble ES? Not really... But, the wood is beautiful, and they cared enough to use real aluminum trim instead of painted plastic. Point is, it is a step above other Hyundais in terms of quality. The design, too, is somewhat evocative of other Hyundais, but everything is just that extra grade nicer.
Old 10-27-17, 08:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is that a U.S-spec car? I could be wrong, but I don't remember the previous Hyundai Genesis I reviewed in Virginia having an "H" badge....maybe in Canada.

Even if it did have an "H" badge, I'll still stand by my reply to BrownPride....IMO it is full worthy of the Genesis nameplate.

This article, BTW, seems to describe it as I remember it:

http://thenewswheel.com/behind-badge...-luxury-brand/
After more research, I'm not sure. Seems like there are Genesis models out there with the H badge and others with the Genesis badge.

There are threads on the Genesis forums about how to swap out your rear H badge for the Genesis wings. And I've found this one for sale near me. It's a 2016 and is US spec:

Old 10-27-17, 12:41 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by JDR76
After more research, I'm not sure. Seems like there are Genesis models out there with the H badge and others with the Genesis badge.

There are threads on the Genesis forums about how to swap out your rear H badge for the Genesis wings. And I've found this one for sale near me. It's a 2016 and is US spec:
The Turo car I had also had another mod: yellow fog lights, which is subtle but does barely show in the front-view photo. So it's possibly a mod anyway.
Old 10-27-17, 01:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

This is the car I wanted in 2015, sadly there were no 5.0s to be had within 250 miles of me.. I turned to the GS F-Sport as my alternative, as I didn't want the lower end V6 Genesis, I prefer N/A V8 cars, Saw the RC-F and decided since I couldn't find the Genesis in a V8 I was going to Lexus.. I decision I do not regret at all.

I am still watching the Genesis line-up perhaps in 2-3 years when I am ready to trade in the Lexus I might again consider it. I doubt however I will go with the G80, the 5.0 Ultimate is hard to find, they don't appear to be made in any great quantity, and I am not a fan of forced induction so I don't want a turbo anything.. There are plenty of G-90s around here with the 5.0 however, so I might have to step up.
Old 10-28-17, 04:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by mjeds
This is the car I wanted in 2015, sadly there were no 5.0s to be had within 250 miles of me.. I turned to the GS F-Sport as my alternative, as I didn't want the lower end V6 Genesis, I prefer N/A V8 cars, Saw the RC-F and decided since I couldn't find the Genesis in a V8 I was going to Lexus.. I decision I do not regret at all.

I am still watching the Genesis line-up perhaps in 2-3 years when I am ready to trade in the Lexus I might again consider it. I doubt however I will go with the G80, the 5.0 Ultimate is hard to find, they don't appear to be made in any great quantity, and I am not a fan of forced induction so I don't want a turbo anything.. There are plenty of G-90s around here with the 5.0 however, so I might have to step up.
I agree, they're very much on the radar for me as well. The G70 seems like it'll be decent, based on the fact that it's based on the Stinger's chassis. Maybe they can work out the suspension tuning issues that have been reported with the Stinger for the G70 version. However I am also a big fan of this G80 specifically! Maybe the Sport version will be fun.
Old 10-30-17, 08:56 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I agree, they're very much on the radar for me as well. The G70 seems like it'll be decent, based on the fact that it's based on the Stinger's chassis. Maybe they can work out the suspension tuning issues that have been reported with the Stinger for the G70 version. However I am also a big fan of this G80 specifically! Maybe the Sport version will be fun.
The G80 sport is very nice, I just wish it came in a V8 flavor, I am just not a fan of forced induction, too many additional parts that could break down and be expensive to repair.. Maybe in a few years things will be different as the technology gets better seeing as most companies are going to small forced inducted engines as to meet the ever increasing MPG and EPA requirements, I realize this isn't the 80s/90s, but it was the Turbo of that era that really turned me off to forced inductions and frankly I don't see a whole lot of improvement with regards to complexity and expense.. Several articles I have read recently have indicated that cost of ownership on a turbo car can be as much as 5 times that of a N/A vehicle with active fuel management, all the articles were comparing the Ford EcoBoost system to the GM Active Fuel Management system.

The G80 sport body and options with the Ultimate 5.0 V8 is something I could get behind, about 2/3 the cost of the LS500 with basically the same features, though obviously not the same level of ownership, customer service, and quality.. Until Genesis has it's own dealerships, you are still treated like a base Hyundai owner, which from reading several forums seems to be about equal to the treatment you get and any of the big 3 American companies. At least Genesis does offer a concierge service (GENESIS SERVICE VALET), where they will pick up your car for warranty work from your home or office and leave a loaner for the first 3/36, so you don't have to deal with the service personnel at the dealership.