Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 06:56 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Camry and Accord have been on an (imaginary) pedestal for probably the last 10-12 years. During that period, much of the competition has clearly caught up.
Pedastal isn't imaginary. Accord really is the standard in the class, and always has been. Competition has caught up sure. but usually the competition offers only check boxes for features while implementation leaves much to be desired. example: my opinion is hyundai sonatas have ton of features but everything is just feels so damn cheap, and the layout is just so out of place.
Old 11-15-17, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Pedastal isn't imaginary. Accord really is the standard in the class, and always has been.

I was refering to the pedestal in terms of comparison to that of competing vehicles. Yes, the Accord, except for a string of transmission problems in the late 90s and early 2000s, has long-been known for excellent build quality. (IMO, especially today, it is more solidly-built than the Camry). But my point was that competitors have either caught up or are rapidly doing so. This is also being reflected at Honda dealerships, where the salespeople and managers have found out that they can no longer dictate the terms of sale, like they could in the Accord's 80s/90s heyday, and treat potential customers like commodities. Customers will simply say "Have a nice day", and go off to another manufacturer and dealership down the street.