CR rates Tesla 3 as 'average' without even driving it - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CR rates Tesla 3 as 'average' without even driving it

Old 10-20-17, 09:02 AM   #1
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Default CR rates Tesla 3 as 'average' without even driving it

it's hard to fathom the stupidity, recklessness, and irresponsibility of consumer reports.

they 'rate' vehicles (other than tesla as well) they don't even drive.

Quote:
The scores for cars they haven’t seen, according to Consumer Reports, are based on consumers’ experiences with other brands’ models that are actually on the road, in addition to what the publication knows about what components a given new vehicle will be using, and how similar those components are to those in existing models.

In Tesla’s case, the Model 3 is using many of the same components as the Model S, according to CR, which was one thing CR took into consideration in issuing their rating. (Incidentally, the latest CR reliability score for the Model S improved to “above average.”)
much more in the whole article here...

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-tesla...r-i-1819689234

it's time someone sued CR
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 09:27 AM   #2
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic

Was this a "rating" or a "prediction"?
LexBob2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 10:06 AM   #3
Lexus2000
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
it's hard to fathom the stupidity, recklessness, and irresponsibility of consumer reports.

they 'rate' vehicles (other than tesla as well) they don't even drive.
How is driving the car going to change their predicted reliability score?
Lexus2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 10:46 AM   #4
Johnhav430
Lexus Champion

They were probably the only rag who slammed the current GTI when it came out in 2015. They predicted that my HEPA vacuum cleaner would be the most reliable in the category, and it broke within a few months, not cool. Is the entire publication worthless? No, I'm not saying that. As long as you're not paying for it, you receieved it as a gift, or you found a copy in the garbage and took it while nobody was looking, there's nothing wrong with reading the information and taking it with a grain of salt.
Johnhav430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 11:01 AM   #5
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus2000 View Post
How is driving the car going to change their predicted reliability score?
it probably won't, but it's better than not driving it and having no survey data to go on. they simply shouldn't rate brand new cars or cars they haven't driven.
Old 10-20-17, 11:20 AM   #6
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
They were probably the only rag who slammed the current GTI when it came out in 2015. They predicted that my HEPA vacuum cleaner would be the most reliable in the category, and it broke within a few months, not cool. Is the entire publication worthless? No, I'm not saying that. As long as you're not paying for it, you receieved it as a gift, or you found a copy in the garbage and took it while nobody was looking, there's nothing wrong with reading the information and taking it with a grain of salt.
Do you recall what they didn't like about the GTI. I have a copy of their auto issue that my buddy gave to me, and they gave it the highest Road Test score in the segment. The only ding is reliability which is Below Average.
Old 10-20-17, 11:22 AM   #7
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
it probably won't, but it's better than not driving it and having no survey data to go on. they simply shouldn't rate brand new cars or cars they haven't driven.
Could it not be that CR's members own and so have driven the Model 3?
Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 11:26 AM   #8
Hoovey2411

Eh doesn't bother me much. 'Average' could simply imply a starting baseline placeholder. Since it hasn't been driven I wouldn't call it 'Above Average' and I wouldn't call it 'Below Average' either. Could they have not mentioned it? Sure, but its whatever. They're a lot worse things to worry about than CR giving a car a score they haven't tested
Hoovey2411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 11:53 AM   #9
Johnhav430
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexBob2 View Post
Do you recall what they didn't like about the GTI. I have a copy of their auto issue that my buddy gave to me, and they gave it the highest Road Test score in the segment. The only ding is reliability which is Below Average.
Long story short the editor Mike Quincy said there's nothing sporty about this car. That's pretty hilarious, I spent 4 days with one in Hotlanta and it was pretty sporty to me. He implied it had a different steering wheel, and badging, and other than that was a Golf. Used words like "garden variety. Other words like the steering is numb and "embarrassing."
Old 10-20-17, 11:59 AM   #10
Johnhav430
Lexus Champion

example of CR: We predict that drug XYZ will be mildly effective in clearing toenail fungus.

Great, so how many people had their toenail fungus eradicated by using this drug? Oh, you've never actually used it or had anyone use it, because it wouldn't make any difference? I see, understood. any interactions or side effects? What? You'd have to run clinical trials using live creatures, before you can answer that question, and that would require science which you do not apply, got it. And sir, what is your name? Mike Quincy?
Old 10-20-17, 12:24 PM   #11
Stormwind
Lexus Champion

We got fake news like cnn and wall st journal and now we can add cr to fake reviews? Or is it fake reports?
Stormwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 12:34 PM   #12
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulu View Post
Could it not be that CR's members own and so have driven the Model 3?
tesla shipped like 250 last (and only) month... i doubt any owners have filled out a stupid CR survey already.
Old 10-20-17, 12:40 PM   #13
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
Long story short the editor Mike Quincy said there's nothing sporty about this car. That's pretty hilarious, I spent 4 days with one in Hotlanta and it was pretty sporty to me. He implied it had a different steering wheel, and badging, and other than that was a Golf. Used words like "garden variety. Other words like the steering is numb and "embarrassing."
After reading the write up it sounds like the rest of the staff must have overruled him it was quite positive.
Old 10-20-17, 12:41 PM   #14
Htony
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexBob2 View Post
Was this a "rating" or a "prediction"?
Maybe past statistics, law of probability? CR report is just better than nothing.
Htony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 01:54 PM   #15
Johnhav430
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htony View Post
Maybe past statistics, law of probability? CR report is just better than nothing.
Maybe they used "automotive" tarot cards? My second choice would be an ouija board.