Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Polestar 1 debuts, 600 HP and 738 LB-FT Carbon Fiber Coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 05:06 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Wow, that's one view to have. Have you personally sampled any of the more recent products that are produced in China and are currently on American roads? They're far from "deathtraps" and the handle most definitely will not come off in your hand.
yes i have. I have been in more than a few chinese brands in my time overseas. All of which were junk. Not saying they cant make good stuff, i just dont see it happening.
Old 10-17-17, 10:26 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Its chinese. Anyone excited about this has probably never ridden in a chinese made deathtrap, let alone owned one. Go to get in the thing and the handle comes off in your hand. Go to plug it in and it will start on fire. It looks nice in pix, but probably wont be worth the tires its sitting on.

no thanks.
your chinese-made iphone hasn't exploded in your pocket, has it?

Chinese-designed crap is unreliable.

non-chinese-designed Chinese-built crap... we've been buying for ages.

Have you wondered about those chinese-built mercs, bmws, and audis with the wheels falling off ?
Old 10-18-17, 12:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wonderful performance and stunning looks. Range could be better. Cadillac missed the mark with its unloved ELR (roughly 207hp 295lbft system power)

Last edited by Hoovey689; 10-18-17 at 10:25 AM. Reason: hp torque figures
Old 10-18-17, 07:43 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by pman6
your chinese-made iphone hasn't exploded in your pocket, has it?

Chinese-designed crap is unreliable.

non-chinese-designed Chinese-built crap... we've been buying for ages.

Have you wondered about those chinese-built mercs, bmws, and audis with the wheels falling off ?
Actually i had a samsung note7 that did. I dont use iphones

have you ever ridden in a chinese car?
Old 10-18-17, 03:04 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Aren't some Volvo S60's and XC90's made in China? And I don't really hear about Volvo's being unreliable....

Last edited by natnut; 10-19-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 07:04 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I would have more faith in a Chinese built Volvo than any Cry Slur (you never know which ones were built by the guys smoking weed and downing malt liquor at lunch time and heading back to the factory to build the car some one's loved ones are in).
Old 10-18-17, 08:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The Polestar 1 looks to be a home run and very powerful and driver focused even though it's a big grand tourer.

But.... ultimately pointless. You get into one with a subscription fee... not a lease and certainly not financing or paying outright for a title of ownership. So you can't actually own this car.

Well, it's been suggested that you CAN if you ask Polestar corporate really, really nicely and offer them a blank check. It's speculated that each of them is valued by Volvo at around $100k+ at least. And they're only making a few hundred of them for each major market. Don't quote me but it was something like 100 allocations for the US market alone. Very low production numbers seems to be a historical trend with Polestar models.

For the majority of people this cannot be purchased in the same way a Lexus LC500 can be for similar (speculated) valuation. It will eventually go back to Polestar.

Volvo has been rumbling about offering their volume cars under a "subscription" model rather than through traditional sales. That appeals to me about the same (which it doesn't) as having to now pay a monthly fee for professional Adobe software rather than being allowed to buying a perpetual license for software with interval hard version updates. It makes Adobe more money in the long run and is not ultimately an advantage to the user who might want to rely on something that is always there with a dedicated system, possibly beyond the use cycle that Adobe originally intended. Casual users may disagree with me but for people who use professional software every day I see the benefit being more in favor of the software company than the user under a subscription-only model. And I differentiate subscription-only software from pure service-based cloud/server/online subscription offerings... which are more like niche utilities such as your cellphone, internet connection or dedicated web hosting service that you pay for every month.

By the same token, doing this all or nothing approach with hard goods like automobiles (unless it's a forthcoming robotaxi service) makes even less sense. I get it if it's offered as an optional approach that can be chosen but not so much as the only choice available to the potential car "buyer" who is then transformed into a "licensed user" of the car complete with a terms of service and use contract that has to be agreed to.

Maybe Polestar 1's will later be allowed for sale after their initial use cycle has been deemed complete by Polestar/Volvo. It would still be an expensive purchase being a high performance low production car. And if so I'd hope parts and service support is available. And purchasable TSRM shop service manuals.

Just an interesting and eyebrow-raising approach they have here. Don't get me wrong. I love what we've seen of this car and its specifications and intention as a driver-focused GT. All of that is very impressive but the notion that you can't actually own it isn't. The no-buy leases on the old GM EV-1's might be a good point of comparison.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-18-17 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Seems way overpriced. Rather have them design something more people can grab onto and utilize.
Old 10-19-17, 11:32 AM
KahnBB6

Hmm. They seem to be considering outright sales alongside the subscription rental after all. The price tag is closer to $180k though.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/polestar...ive-98419.html
Old 10-20-17, 06:44 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

My biggest issue is with the name i think. Sounds like a stripper competition lol
Old 10-20-17, 09:11 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

My biggest issue is with the name i think. Sounds like a stripper competition lol
and the finalists for the Polestar 1 international stripper competition are cinnamon thighs and brandy hooters.
Old 10-22-17, 03:51 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The Polestar 1 looks to be a home run and very powerful and driver focused even though it's a big grand tourer.

But.... ultimately pointless. You get into one with a subscription fee... not a lease and certainly not financing or paying outright for a title of ownership. So you can't actually own this car.

Well, it's been suggested that you CAN if you ask Polestar corporate really, really nicely and offer them a blank check. It's speculated that each of them is valued by Volvo at around $100k+ at least. And they're only making a few hundred of them for each major market. Don't quote me but it was something like 100 allocations for the US market alone. Very low production numbers seems to be a historical trend with Polestar models.

For the majority of people this cannot be purchased in the same way a Lexus LC500 can be for similar (speculated) valuation. It will eventually go back to Polestar.

Volvo has been rumbling about offering their volume cars under a "subscription" model rather than through traditional sales. That appeals to me about the same (which it doesn't) as having to now pay a monthly fee for professional Adobe software rather than being allowed to buying a perpetual license for software with interval hard version updates. It makes Adobe more money in the long run and is not ultimately an advantage to the user who might want to rely on something that is always there with a dedicated system, possibly beyond the use cycle that Adobe originally intended. Casual users may disagree with me but for people who use professional software every day I see the benefit being more in favor of the software company than the user under a subscription-only model. And I differentiate subscription-only software from pure service-based cloud/server/online subscription offerings... which are more like niche utilities such as your cellphone, internet connection or dedicated web hosting service that you pay for every month.
Well I have a good news for you. Volvo's "subscription" program is nothing but a heavily discounted lease. Unlike proper tiered subscription service of Porsche Atlanta where you get to switch between different types of models whenever you want to, this Volvo "subscription" ties you up with a single specific vehicle of your choice. Sure you don't pay for registration, insurance and service but you are still limited with miles just like with regular lease. You can get free weekend Volvo rentals in case you need or want other model from Volvo line up but that certainly is not vehicle switching like proper subscription service should offer. They just call it subscription but it's just a lease without any costs that fall onto lease holder when setting up the lease.

Now Porsche of Atlanta subscription program is one to get. For $3,000/month you get to switch between Boxters, Caymans, 911, Cayennes, Macans and Panameras whenever you feel like (or most likely whenever inventory allows it). I'm eager to see how they gonna set it up, will there be priority members who get to reserve the car before regular guys or will they require you to reserve the car months in ahead with limited time frame such as in order to reserve 911 switch we would need you to call in four weeks in advance and you can hold the car for 5 days only. They will really need to calculate the demand properly in order to setup the inventory accordingly. I suppose most people would want to drive 911s and Cayennes the most and then Panameras and then Cayman/Boxters/Macans. It will be interesting to see how that goes, but that's proper subscription/rental service. Care by Volvo is not.
Old 10-22-17, 10:13 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Interesting that some Porsche dealers in the U.S. offer a sort-of similar "subscription" program. So Polestar isn't the only automaker trying this out. Still... even with the program Porsche of Atlanta has... I don't get it. You can't own the car through that program let alone personalize the car and your mileage allowance is likely limited.

We're talking some very high dollar specialty cars here (some especially so depending on the model) so clearly this is currently a niche pay-for-use arrangement framework. I'll never understand why anyone does it when they can own a specifically optioned model indefinitely but to each their own.

Also, Polestar in particular seems to be in the process of figuring out the market for their super coupe altogether with no hard numbers or even a hard valuation of the model to go from at this time. It's just an odd move to suggest that they only might *consider* selling it to a prospective customer. It's not like there aren't people who buy $200k+ performance cars.
Old 10-23-17, 04:25 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ Interesting that some Porsche dealers in the U.S. offer a sort-of similar "subscription" program. So Polestar isn't the only automaker trying this out. Still... even with the program Porsche of Atlanta has... I don't get it. You can't own the car through that program let alone personalize the car and your mileage allowance is likely limited.

We're talking some very high dollar specialty cars here (some especially so depending on the model) so clearly this is currently a niche pay-for-use arrangement framework. I'll never understand why anyone does it when they can own a specifically optioned model indefinitely but to each their own.

Also, Polestar in particular seems to be in the process of figuring out the market for their super coupe altogether with no hard numbers or even a hard valuation of the model to go from at this time. It's just an odd move to suggest that they only might *consider* selling it to a prospective customer. It's not like there aren't people who buy $200k+ performance cars.
They lost me with the Polestar 1 as well. I'm not sure what they are trying to do here except promote Care by Volvo program. Seems like that car's sole purpose is to head the marketing campaign for Volvo's subscription. Car itself had a really quiet debut which is weird since that's supposed to be their flagship product. Who knows what's going on, maybe in practice all new powertrain is not extensively tested or proven so they want to make sure it doesn't end up like debacle. But again who would want Polestar 1 in subscription anyway? I assume it would not come cheap, no way its going to be any less than $1,500/month but considering Care by Volvo doesn't allow you to switch vehicles then this really doesn't make sense. Unless Polestar's subscription is different and includes other Volvo vehicles to swap whenever you want to. To many unknowns here to make it a quality discussion but from what I can tell it's too many unknowns for Volvo as well.
Old 10-23-17, 08:13 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Its chinese. Anyone excited about this has probably never ridden in a chinese made deathtrap, let alone owned one. Go to get in the thing and the handle comes off in your hand. Go to plug it in and it will start on fire. It looks nice in pix, but probably wont be worth the tires its sitting on.

no thanks.
Maybe that's 10~20 year ago. I have been traveling to China the past 10 year and saw the changes & improvement. The Chinese make car are not as well built as American/Japanese but definitely not as bad as you describe. They also cost about 50% less so you get what you pay. I drove the 2010 Geely/Emgrand EC8 sedan and it ride like an early 2000s Hyundai Elantra.

That's why they acquired Volvo for its safety technology.

Quick Reply: 2020 Polestar 1 debuts, 600 HP and 738 LB-FT Carbon Fiber Coupe!