Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Sit Down With the Chief Designer at Lexus / Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 06:42 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Really? Some of the things I am reading here are just downright laughable and plain inaccurate. Cartiabiano is far from the "chief" designer at both Toyota and Lexus. He's a senior designer for Toyota alright, but let's not get things twisted. Tokuo Fukuichi has that position of sweeping influence over TMC design for all of its brands. Who is responsible for this write-up? The Curated Content here often rings dubious or poorly researched. Please improve that.
Attached Thumbnails A Sit Down With the Chief Designer at Lexus / Toyota-2017-10-19-06_37_09-ian-cartabiano-_-professional-profile-https___www.linkedin.com_in_ian-cart.png  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-19-17 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 09:02 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

CMK, I love your information on these lexus designs before they hit the market.

Goodness gracious, that LS430 was hideous.
Good thing lexus cleaned it up nicely.

Old 10-19-17, 06:11 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You never want to underestimate the influence of Calty in Toyota's branding and design decisions. This is an old article but it shows which way the winds blew when design/styling decisions were being made.

THINK about cars that are most likely to be driven in California, and a flock of images come to mind, like convertibles, hot rods and brightly colored paint jobs -- automobiles fit for sunny days and sea-breeze nights.
But truthfully, Californians have weighed in on a variety of vehicles, including pickups and minivans, that nonresidents may never associate with their reputation.The list includes the Honda Odyssey minivan and the original Lexus LS 400 luxury car, which challenged German automakers' superiority when it was introduced in 1989.

The latest vehicle that Californians literally helped shape is the Nissan Titan pickup, the first really big truck from a Japanese company, which goes on sale late this year.In each case, Californians were guinea pigs for these companies, offering suggestions, acting as consultants for engineers and simply providing inspiration. They took part in focus groups and allowed engineers to examine their vehicles and videotape them while driving.Although these companies did research elsewhere in the United States, they relied heavily on California car buyers to act as stand-ins a good chunk of the time.
Certainly, California has always been a place for design inspiration. More than 15 auto companies have studios there, and the Art Center School of Design in Pasadena is a legendary training ground for young car designers. But fairly or not, Californians themselves have been viewed as far ahead of the rest of the country in their tastes.That actually can play to the car companies' advantage, because it takes three to four years for a vehicle to go through the development process.

Ideas that might seem on the fringe today could be considered conventional in 2007, auto analysts say.Californians' open-minded approach is what car companies appreciate when they are developing new vehicles, said Diane Allen, the chief designer of the Titan.''For a car manufacturer, it's a great laboratory,'' Ms. Allen said by telephone from San Diego, where she is based at Nissan Design Americas.

Three years ago, Ms. Allen and her team set out to learn what truck owners might want in a new pickup. One of their first admissions was that they did not know what they were doing. Nissan offered S.U.V.'s but the only pickups it had sold were little work trucks, which appealed primarily to surfers, or a limited market.''We decided to take our naïveté and put it out there in the truck world and educate ourselves,'' Ms. Allen said.

The Nissan designers interviewed dozens of California truck owners at the beach, in parking lots, at restaurants. But beyond that, they photographed them loading and unloading trucks, videotaped them behind the wheel and went off on jaunts with them.While the volunteers included ranchers and farmhands, Ms. Allen's team was also after people who used their trucks to transport ''toys'' like dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles. The Titan team played host to evening seminars so truck owners could look at the designers' ideas and offer feedback on various parts of the truck.The suggestions led to an important Titan feature: anchors in every corner and on each side, so that gear could be tied down tightly.

Numerous truck owners showed the Titan designers how they had drilled holes and screwed in hooks so they could secure equipment with bungee cords, she said.With imports comprising more than 50 percent of car sales in the state, Ms. Allen said Californians were not reluctant to help designers from a Japanese company. ''For us at a global company, Californians are much friendlier than a state like Wyoming or Idaho,'' she said.The biggest problem, she said, was that the truck owners did not want to go home. ''We couldn't get them to leave,'' she said.''They would be here three or four hours.

''A group of Toyota designers from Japan stayed far longer than that. In the early 1980's, Toyota's chief executive, Eji Toyoda, vowed to build the finest luxury car in the world. And he wanted to sell it in the United States, not Japan. That vow led to development of the original Lexus LS 400 sedan. But the project was a big secret for almost everyone in Toyota.They included six designers from Japan, who checked into a house in Laguna Beach, Calif. Their arrival was an extraordinary step for Toyota, whose previous car development had all happened overseas.

''The fact that they came to Southern California is important, but even more important is that they came at all,'' said J. Davis Illingworth, a senior vice president at Toyota Motor Sales USA, the company's American sales arm.Mr. Illingworth was then second in charge of what became the Lexus luxury car division. He ultimately served as the division's first general manager. The six designers spent time soaking up both the sun and Californians' preferences in luxury cars. Over 18 months, they sent back a half-dozen versions of the design for the Lexus LS 400, finally hitting on a car that echoed German luxury models, but with a softer appearance to appeal to American buyers.''They were really good listeners,'' Mr. Illingworth said. ''Had they not come, we could have ended up'' with a luxury car that looked more like those sold in Japan.

Closeness to the customer was also the aim of the engineering team that worked on the latest version of the Honda Odyssey minivan, which went on sale in 1998. The previous version of the Odyssey was a small van with a four-cylinder engine and doors that opened out from each side as on a car. It was nothing like the hottest American vans then on the market, which were bigger, more powerful and had sliding doors on each side.

Eager to hit the mark, the project's chief engineer, Kunimichi Odagaki, came to the United States from Japan to oversee development. Accompanied by a pair of American engineers, Mr. Odagaki spent six months traveling 25,000 miles around the United States, visiting communities across the Midwest and the South.Eventually, the trio ended up in Orange County, Calif., where they adopted the elementary school attended by the daughter of one engineer, Tim Benner. They tapped into ideas from the children's parents, including one suggestion that the Odyssey have leaner lines than the rounder Mommymobiles in vogue then. They also measured the width of Mr. Benner's garage, to make sure the minivan would fit.

And they learned on highway on-ramps, facing heavy traffic, that it was important to have a six-cylinder engine with plenty of pickup.The three encountered a few scrapes. One afternoon, as they sat in the school's parking lot, videotaping parents loading their kids and assorted gear into their vehicles, a policeman rapped on their window. ''He thought we were going to kidnap the children,'' Mr. Odagaki recalled last year.But the engineers eventually became celebrities at the school, and the Odyssey minivan became a big hit. It is now the second-best-selling minivan in the United States, behind the perennial leader, the Dodge Caravan.

Until recently, the Odyssey was ranked as the best minivan in the country by Consumer Reports magazine, a crown it has since yielded to the Sienna Toyota.The vehicles are proof that Californians, despite their reputation, give companies good advice, said Art Spinella, the director of CNW Marketing Research, an auto-industry firm in Bandon, Ore.

''Regardless of what everyone thinks, Californians don't set new trends,'' Mr. Spinella said. ''But they identify new trends'' and help make them popular, he said.Mr. Illingworth added: ''There's a certain amount of freshness or newness or difference about California'' compared with the car capitals of America and Japan. ''Your view of the world is different in Los Angeles than it is in Detroit or Toyota City.''
Old 10-19-17, 07:07 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Personally I think the designs of Lexus have been getting worse over time, very mediocre and similar to the cheaper Japanese brands (Honda, acura , Nissan etc...)

The LC is the first breath of fresh air weve had in many years.

I used to wonder why its getting so bad but seeing now that the pride of Japan auto is being designed by a company from California its starting to make some sense.

Californias version of what they think a Japanese car should look like lol, not very authentic at all
You have it backwards. CALTY designs the better looking Toyota/Lexus models, all the ugly ones are from Japan.

The new Camry is designed by CALTY. The Avalon is CALTY. The CH-R is CALTY. The LC500 is CALTY (production design by Japan with the goal to match the concept perfectly). The LF-FC Concept is CALTY. The FT-1 is CALTY.

The Prius is Japan. The LS500 is Japan. The RC is Japan.

Second, after hearing so many times that people assume the LF-FC and LS were products of Calty (plus a few other models), you should be reminded that the LF-FC was designed at Toyota's Tokyo Design Laboratory, between the period of August 2014 and December 2014 (completed overall early September 2015). I don't know how many times I can mention that, as Calty had no input.
I could have sworn seeing images of the LFFC mockup on a turn table at CALTY.
Edit:

Though it could be the Japanese studio I'm not sure. It would make sense for it to be CALTY since they typically do the advanced designs.

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
He's the studio chief designer at CALTY, not the chief designer at Toyota/Lexus. CALTY is Toyota's California design studio. It stands for California-Toyota.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-19-17 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 08:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
You have it backwards. CALTY designs the better looking Toyota/Lexus models, all the ugly ones are from Japan.

The new Camry is designed by CALTY. The Avalon is CALTY. The CH-R is CALTY. The LC500 is CALTY (production design by Japan with the goal to match the concept perfectly). The LF-FC Concept is CALTY. The FT-1 is CALTY.

As long as they look good, I don't care where they are styled, but I'm disappointed that the Prius, Mirai, and LS500 didn't look better.

I realize that some Lexus fanatical posters prefer to "pretend" that the Prius/Mirai/LS500 look okay, and they like to turn a blind eye and sweep it under the carpet, but I don't think that is constructively helpful to TMC.
I think best to give constructive feedback and tell it as it is, because then TMC knows the right direction to recourse for their next generation of motor vehicles.

Old 10-19-17, 08:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Very nice looking prototype of 2007-17 4LS, but the tail light lenses have too much 2005-12 S Class cloning.

Old 10-19-17, 08:27 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
As long as they look good, I don't care where they are styled, but I'm disappointed that the Prius, Mirai, and LS500 didn't look better.

I realize that some Lexus fanatical posters prefer to "pretend" that the Prius/Mirai/LS500 look okay, and they like to turn a blind eye and sweep it under the carpet, but I don't think that is constructively helpful to TMC.
I think best to give constructive feedback and tell it as it is, because then TMC knows the right direction to recourse for their next generation of motor vehicles.

Stating your own personal subjective opinion as fact and then ascribing dubious intentions to those who disagree with you seems to be a recurring problem for you.
Old 10-19-17, 08:48 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If those cars were styled by Calty they would look a lot better.
Old 10-19-17, 09:20 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greatest of all times:
Old 10-19-17, 09:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by natnut
Stating your own personal subjective opinion as fact and then ascribing dubious intentions to those who disagree with you seems to be a recurring problem for you.
Natnut, everyone's post is an opinion whether or not they begin the sentence with "IMO" or "I think" etc.
I have begun sentences with IMO or I think etc many times.
However, it is not always practical to begin every sentence with IMO or I think etc.
Thus, it is presumed that every post is a person's opinion.

The problem arises when a second person has a different opinion to the first person, such that the second person presses their differing opinion in on top of the first person's opinion.
It is the second person who must realize that their opinion is just their opinion too.

In this situation, it would be better if the second person was positive and simply stated their own opinion, rather than criticize the first person's opinion, because when one criticizes another person's opinion, one is denying the other person the right to an opinion, and if a person doesn't like to be denied of an opinion himself, then we shouldn't deny others of an opinion either.

On a second note, since 500 BC in Greece, subjective differences are solved through voting [nee polling].
I can't remember any official polls on Prius, Mirai or 5LS styling, however you should be able ascertain off the top of your head that cars like the new LC coupe draw very little criticism for styling, while cars like the three models that I specifically quoted like the Prius, Mirai & 5LS have drawn copious criticism for their styling.
I chose to quote these three specific models, because the notoriety in their styling is well-known.

If you like, you can go through a thread, and actually count the number of posters who a positive, neutral or negative about a particular model's styling.

As CL Forum members, we tend to be more knowledgeable than the mass public, such that we are more knowledge-based and relatively less critical of styling than the mass public.
In the real world, the mass public tend to be less knowledgeable than CL Forum members, thus badge & styling play a much bigger role in their decision making...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-20-17 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 09:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Peteharvey, natnut take the personal comments to pm and out of this thread.
Old 10-26-17, 12:40 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
If we're entertaining comments to Toyota in terms of current designs...

Edit: No... I'll keep this short. I am frustrated by current Toyota visual design but it's not a complicated reason why.

Each vehicle in the Toyota (and Lexus) lineup needs and should have its own individual identity. Look at how good the 1990-2000 Toyota AND Lexus lineups separately looked. Each vehicle had its own subtly unique front end shape and overall appearance. The cars were allowed to be individuals within the same families.

Today every Toyota front bumper, regardless of how different the models are from each other, has to look similar. Same for Lexus.

It is as if the thinking posits that consumers couldn't be bothered to look at a brand badge after they have been allowed to appreciate a vehicle model for its own unique identity.

Or it is like going to see a movie trailer and you realize you're hearing a ripoff of the same Hans Zimmer droning and thrumming score that always hits epic crescendos. You begin to feel like most of the major movies you are watching are all the same movie. That gets boring unless something really unique is on the screen.

And this is what making every automaker's front grill design on every model they sell look almost exactly the same does for me. Who needs a brand badge when all you have to do is look at the front grill whether you're looking at a low slung sports car or a big SUV?

Toyota used to embrace more individual designs and a few of those designs don't even need to be changed much (Supra MKIV, original Lexus IS, 94-98 Celica) as has been successful for Porsche (911) and Ford (2015+ Mustang) and I would argue the beautiful looks of the current Toyota 86 coupe.

If I had to summarize it would be the impression that Toyota needs to allow their various models to be more individual again.

Maybe the C-HR is on the right track after all... maybe... but it's severe lack of a serious performance driveline does not line up with its looks and that is not a successful formula. When I look at one I expect to find an AWD 250hp turbo 6-speed manual rear LSD CUV with some Celica GT-Four inspired rally heritage.

Instead it is just an aggressively styled, anemic 140hp non-turbo, FWD only, CVT only factory poser vehicle that isn't fun or engaging to drive. It turns me off completely and makes me dislike the styling whereas if the vehicle's performance actually lived up to what its looks suggest or at least came very close I would be more willing to forgive and maybe even embrace the looks.

Before anyone says it, the 86 only having 200hp is surely lacking in the outright performance department but I respect that car because it's still a lot of engaging fun to drive and gets the rest of its budget performance fun formula 100% right being a balanced RWD chassis with a manual gearbox and an LSD. The Supra will exist to satisfy outright horsepower performance with turbochargers. With four doors it is a missed opportunity that the 2018 Camry doesn't have a V6 AWD trim level.

The current Toyota Tacoma and 4Runner lines actually don't look bad at all though. A bit chunky but overall they're allowed to deviate just enough to look good. Although their front bumpers could be slightly less chunky. I can't say the same for the currently ugly Land Cruiser 200.

I do feel that in general with many vehicles there is an intrinsic link between a reasonable expectation based on styling that the vehicle in question has lives up or comes close to what it actually delivers based on what is under the hood, what wheels are driven and sometimes also by what shifter is in the center console. While extremely rare to encounter, when a vehicle looks more conservative in its styling but happens to over-deliver based on visual assumptions in terms of performance it is never a disliked combination.

Also, to reiterate, Toyota got most of its 90's and early 2000's lineup right because it allowed each of its vehicles to have more individual character and expression.

The C-HR does this in a way, love or hate its looks, but it is STILL saddled with a front grill that mostly resembles the same grill on every other Toyota. That isn't the best way to give each model an individual distinctive identity.
The name of game has been family styling, especially because of European OEMs casting a shadow on American and Asian marques much of the 1990s and early 2000s. It explains l-finessse and descendants of that language in transitional form HS/CT to RC/NX, then from LC/LS to now LS+/GS successor.

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
As. Mr. Burns already stated, he is just a studio chief at CALTY and Toyota has many studios globally. I hope those that report news, fully do due diligence.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
CMK, I love your information on these lexus designs before they hit the market.

Goodness gracious, that LS430 was hideous.
Good thing lexus cleaned it up nicely.
Thanks, they managed to get it right by December 1997. I have that photo in fact and plenty more actually. It still was a compromised design in my opinion, one that still wasn't fixed until early 2002 for the MY2004 facelift, that came out in September 2003. It was nothing more than a Toyotafied W140 S-Class in smaller scale with C140 CL coupe front fascia and rear end.

The preceding XF21 LS 400 of 1997 to 2000 was basically a more svelte W140 upfront, with traditional LS cues elsewhere on the car. The late 1994 redesign evolved the XF10 design cues in trapezoidal form, just like the transition from W126 to W140 S-Class.

Originally Posted by MattyG
You never want to underestimate the influence of Calty in Toyota's branding and design decisions. This is an old article but it shows which way the winds blew when design/styling decisions were being made.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/22/au...something.html
Yes, but at the end of the day, it is glaringly obvious Toyota deliberately tries to ensure that none of its global studios have a say in design of the LS, as CALTY weren't even told about the original car until much later on in development circa 1987. They let Japan HQ pass through SoCal in the mid-80s, without really letting on to any U.S. CALTY personnel the existence of the F-1 project.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

I could have sworn seeing images of the LFFC mockup on a turn table at CALTY.
Edit:

Though it could be the Japanese studio I'm not sure. It would make sense for it to be CALTY since they typically do the advanced designs.

He's the studio chief designer at CALTY, not the chief designer at Toyota/Lexus. CALTY is Toyota's California design studio. It stands for California-Toyota.
No, those are photos of the LF-FC Concept on design approval day, December 9th of 2014 at Toyota's Tokyo Design Laboratory. The XF50 LS, was designed at Aichi HQ, signed-off in mid-2014. Not sure why they bother holding global design competitions, if no one that hasn't been to Nagoya or speak fluent Japanese , can win on the LS.

It occurred to me also, that the XV70 Camry was designed at Aichi design centre, under Cartiabiano's supervision. He didn't actually do it stateside, for engineering related reasons.

Not every CALTY design is automatically better than Aichi HQ. Plenty of ED2 knockout designs as well. All the proposals for the latest Prius were very interesting though. I know far more about the XC10 RC design process than many would expect. The Mirai was a case study in varying tastes in design by region and Prius being designed to mimic its styling idiom.

Very nice looking prototype of 2007-17 4LS, but the tail light lenses have too much 2005-12 S Class cloning.

Remember that XF40 design proposal is from early 2003, which is barely sometime after the W221 design freeze. I don't see how Toyota would know what it looked like from the rear back then, as such information wasn't accessible until more lightly disguised W221 prototypes appeared in 2004.

This looks coicidentally similar to Acura's RL (Honda KB1 Legend), but was quite hidden away from late 2001 design approval to early 2004 reveal.

I do have photos of the 250L program final design for the XF40 LS at its management approval in late 2003, which highlight the timeline very well. Design work began in early 2002, a year and half after the LS 430 entered production.

Apparently the 2013 model warranted a development documentary, that hightlighted the efforts made for it.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 10-26-17 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 09:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By this logic Calty is therefore redundant. California is no longer the trendsetter. No more the iconic image and fashionable leader for what's new and current. Why have Calty anymore. You just send young designers to Asia and that's where they will absorb trends. Seems like an awfully awkward decision to me. Where is North America's trendsetting pop culture capital? Assuming you want to sell cars here?
Old 10-27-17, 01:44 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
By this logic Calty is therefore redundant. California is no longer the trendsetter. No more the iconic image and fashionable leader for what's new and current. Why have Calty anymore. You just send young designers to Asia and that's where they will absorb trends. Seems like an awfully awkward decision to me. Where is North America's trendsetting pop culture capital? Assuming you want to sell cars here?
If California is losing it's grip on car designs, I have some theories to it.

1) More and more young car guys are going to the latest crop of Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers. This has taken attention off of German and Asian cars on the low end. At one time, the hype around those cars dictated future styling trends for those companies. The aftermarket also creates future trends, which start off on used cars, then filter over to new cars (Example: Flat paint finishes, replacement carbon fiber parts, et al, once all started on older cars and are now coming on new cars).

2) More and more young men are growing up NOT liking cars in California. This is largely due to immigration from Mexico, where there is less car culture. These immigrants are used to public transportation, or second-hand motoring. CA's 1950's and 1960's car culture is being replaced by this. Today's California is vastly different than the one in 1984.

3) More and more young men are not driving right away. Cost of living has gotten so out of hand in CA, owning a car at a young age is declining and less desirable. Public transit is increasing, and city/state agencies are no longer pouring in the same resources to fix and/or expand public roads.

4) Growing trend of alcohol and drug use among young people may be keeping drivers out of cars (as it should). The less young people are driving, the less styling trends develop.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 10-27-17 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
4) Growing trend of alcohol and drug use among young people may be keeping drivers out of cars (as it should).
Don't bet on it. Police set up checkpoints for good reason.

2) More and more young men are growing up NOT liking cars in California. This is largely due to immigration from Mexico, where there is less car culture. These immigrants are used to public transportation, or second-hand motoring. CA's 1950's and 1960's car culture is being replaced by this. Today's California is vastly different than the one in 1984.
The stereotype (though there is at least some truth to it) is not necessarily that these guys don't like cars, but, due to cost constraints, their form of transportation is often old, clapped-Civic hatchbacks or coupes with bolt-on wings, pastel-lollipop paint colors, oversized in-your-face wheels, and driving with their caps on backwards.