Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus front ends... will they change soon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 08:42 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
There are people like me who love the predator grill and hope it stays around for a while.
Yep, with each of these threads popping up about lexus with the scary grill, I love it. That's what got my back into lexus.
I skipped the whole l-finesse era (2006-2012) after having a couple lexus from 99-2005.

Originally Posted by dicer
So you think maybe 2019 Lexus will lose that ugly front end grill etc. ? Its like a step kid that wore out his welcome, they have had that ugly thing for soooo many years now, how will we know what year car it is your looking at? So its like buying a new luxury car that looks 5 years old. If they are going to do that at least make it look like a good old car, say a 1990 LS400.
so which lexus do you want to buy in 2019 hoping they'll change the spindle grill?

I can't stand mb and bmw SML sausage length and audi is plain boring (to me).

Last edited by GS3Tek; 10-15-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 09:43 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

To each his own, I guess.

But as I've said before, I intentionally bought an older RX in the '10, '11, and '12 category because I wanted an attractive front end. And I know of others who have said they would NEVER get a spindle car.

Me, I'd suggest to the stylists that we should go for three-foot-high tail fins. Now THAT would be a statement.

Anyway, sorry for the criticism of what I consider to be one of the finest cars on the road today. I simply don't want a bizarre styling exercise to overshadow excellent engineering.
Old 10-15-17, 10:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though I lm hoping Lexus would get rid of the spindles, but my feeling is telling it will only evolve and tweaked for a long Long while. Lexus make it ‘their grill’, just like MB, bmw and Audi has theirs as well.
Old 10-16-17, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Me, I'd suggest to the stylists that we should go for three-foot-high tail fins. Now THAT would be a statement.
You were born about 60 years too late LOL.

Anyway, sorry for the criticism of what I consider to be one of the finest cars on the road today.
No need to apologize...... Jive on. That's what this forum is about...reasonable discussion of vehicles, and our opinions of them.
Old 10-16-17, 07:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It all comes down to implementation. On the RX, no, on the non F-sport NX, no. It looks refined and aggressive at the same time on the new LS and SC. Looks quite good on the LX and GX as well. Yes earlier implementations were tack ons and looks terrible.
Old 10-16-17, 09:51 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I’ve never liked it and never will. It is fugly. I’m amazed they sold any at all since it came out. Since it’s not the first thing to be hideous and still sell, it shows that is a design that either strikes your fancy or turns your stomach. I’ll take the latter.
Old 10-16-17, 10:00 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

The grill has been around since 2012? maybe 2013? I dont recall. But a styling direction like this will not doubt stick around for another 10 years or so. If they invested so much in the LS and LC, it has to at least make it through that life cycle. There are good and bad iterations. I think it looks the worst on the GX and RX. The best, goes to the LC, LS, and ES
Old 10-16-17, 11:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Since it’s not the first thing to be hideous and still sell, it shows that is a design that either strikes your fancy or turns your stomach.
i think some people don't like it but buy anyway based on reliability/luxury/function reputation and reality... in other words, some buyers simply overlook it.

the early spindles look tame by today's versions, especially the suvs...
Old 10-16-17, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the early spindles look tame by today's versions, especially the suvs...
........and all of the rest of even today's spindles probably look tame compared to the new RX.

Old 10-16-17, 12:47 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family thought we would always buy Lexus - until the spindle grill came out. The spindle grill is neither sporty nor classy. We love Lexus reliability, but we simply can’t stomach its new designs. We won’t return to Lexus until Akio Toyoda realizes that the spindle grill is turning away more buyers than it attracts. Something needs to be done - tone it down or get rid of it.
Old 10-16-17, 01:34 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 377 Likes on 255 Posts

Was not a fan at all of the early versions. When we were looking for a replacement of the wife's '01 LS430 I was targeting an '11 or '12 LS460 but she thought those were too similar to her LS430 (don't start... I didn't say it) so she wanted a '13+..... We ended up with a base '14 but I liked the look of the F Sport grille better. She did not like the interior of the F Sport (I agree with her) so the base model it is.

I do now like the LC500 and LS500 implementations of the grille; I think the RC is okay. The RX is too much for sure and GS is so-so. The "trickle" down of accents to the Toyota models is weird to me.

Be a while before Lexus gets away from this design but the recent tweaks are improvements. (Remember, opinion only subject to change model by model...)
Old 10-16-17, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
We won’t return to Lexus until Akio Toyoda realizes that the spindle grill is turning away more buyers than it attracts.
Thats just the thing...sales figures don't show that to be the case.
Old 10-16-17, 02:16 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

it's still growing on me. I like the first designs of the grill. I hope they could go back to that

Old 10-16-17, 02:21 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 10-16-17, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
it's still growing on me. I like the first designs of the grill. I hope they could go back to that
With that thick horizontal crossbar in the middle dividng it into two halves, I wouldn't consider that design a true spindle. And, yes, it is much more muted and less in-your-face.

Quick Reply: Lexus front ends... will they change soon?